The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Vintage Flies ;

I have a lot of flies some of them were tied 30 or more years ago, many are unused. I generally made enough flies so that as I began to run low in my carry box I could restock at home. Little by little I will photograph them and come back to this thread and add more patterns to it. Many of my flies are of the kind that we don't see often these days. They were & still are very good fish producers.

I never fell into the Elk Hair Caddis camp because when I was a kid and you needed a simple fly for small brook fishing; plunge pools, short riffles and etc, we had the Bi Visible. They float and they float well, I have caught many brook trout, rainbow, and wild browns in small creeks with these simple puffs of hackle.

Bi Visible

Click the image to open in full size.

Something else you seldom hear people talking about these days are 'Wing Burners'. For the demanding nearly still water conditions of the long runs & pools on the big streams of Pennsylvania you needed a better profile at times. The way we got it was to make better wings; enter the wing burner. I will photograph my old burners and post them to the thread in case we have some folks who have never seen them.

This fly was made to imitate a local hatch that I found on Lycoming Creek in North Central PA.

Flies with wings like this are not meant to be false cast hundreds of times while in use. If you try that 2 things will happen, the wings will end up lying strait back along the body, but before that happens the fly will spin and cause twists in your tippet. These are for when you are targeting rising fish. You tie them on and cast right to the target. When they start getting slimy or wet you drag them in and treat them with dry silica floatant like Frog's Fanny or similar and you're good to go. Don't false cast them to dry them

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-02-2012, 02:27 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Vintage Flies ;

sweet flies ard!
the bi-visible is, plus the adams, how i got into dry fly fishing

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

As always Ard.....great looking flies and great thread!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have a lot of flies some of them were tied 30 or more years ago, many are unused. I generally made enough flies so that as I began to run low in my carry box I could restock at home. Little by little I will photograph them and come back to this thread and add more patterns to it. Many of my flies are of the kind that we don't see often these days. They were & still are very good fish producers.

I never fell into the Elk Hair Caddis camp because when I was a kid and you needed a simple fly for small brook fishing; plunge pools, short riffles and etc, we had the Bi Visible. They float and they float well, I have caught many brook trout, rainbow, and wild browns in small creeks with these simple puffs of hackle.

Bi Visible

Something else you seldom hear people talking about these days are 'Wing Burners'. For the demanding nearly still water conditions of the long runs & pools on the big streams of Pennsylvania you needed a better profile at times. The way we got it was to make better wings; enter the wing burner. I will photograph my old burners and post them to the thread in case we have some folks who have never seen them.

This fly was made to imitate a local hatch that I found on Lycoming Creek in North Central PA.

Flies with wings like this are not meant to be false cast hundreds of times while in use. If you try that 2 things will happen, the wings will end up lying strait back along the body, but before that happens the fly will spin and cause twists in your tippet. These are for when you are targeting rising fish. You tie them on and cast right to the target. When they start getting slimy or wet you drag them in and treat them with dry silica floatant like Frog's Fanny or similar and you're good to go. Don't false cast them to dry them
Cool tips. Many of the fish I target, I have to roll cast. Difficult to keep dry flies dry, Gotta get some frog fanny.

Love the colour and wings on the dry may fly variation. Lost art trimming and shaping wings. We should start a wing thread Ard. All the different wing styles and shaping tricks.
The colour looks very neutral and natural. Would putting down some super glue on the wing base help keep them in place better?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Those Bi Visibles still work...I have a bunch of 'em...!!!

PT/TB
Hardyreels and brucerducer like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-02-2012, 08:22 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice flies, thanks for posting the pictures. I particularly like the sparse hackles, don't see that often.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Those Bi Visibles still work...I have a bunch of 'em...!!!

PT/TB
I used to fish the Bi Visible quite a bit and know they work well, don't know why I drifted away from them. Thanks Ard for bringing this fly back to the front burner, I'm going to have to tie up a bunch for next summer.

Larry
Hardyreels and brucerducer like this.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I like your BiVis, I go a bit different on mine. I guess then its not really even a variation by the time I'm done with it. I tie the tail with honey dun barbs to give it a shuck like look and dub a body of sulphur yellow super fine over black thread with four turns of golden badger then a grizzly hackle. I've fished them during a caddis hatch and did well, as an attractor pattern on brookie streams, but I like it best first thing in the morning. When there are still cripples and spent spinners left over from the night before, I clip the hackle from the bottom so it sits lower and looks like the dead bugs and bits and pieces that you'll find floating around after a hatch. On freestones its definitely a favorite searching pattern.
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

You know Ard, during a visit one of our nieces commented to my wife about how many lovely antiques we have. My wife retorted that they werenít antiques when we purchased them. Iím experiencing that same visceral reaction from your selection of Vintage flies.

Nice work guy, TT
Hardyreels and jpbfly like this.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Love these vintage flies ArdMy friend Batistou often uses a French Tricolore...I tied Paysannes long ago...will post pics of both when I have the time(after dec 23)
Hardyreels likes this.