The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:04 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default How do you find the time?

How do all of you find the time to fish and tie so much? Maybe it's just me but I can only do this stuff in spits and spurts. And it drives me NUTS!!!

This past weekend was gorgeous here in Pittsburgh and I was...hanging ^%#%@& Christmas lights. The only GOOD thing that came out of it is that I was permitted to purchase LED strings to replace all of the miniature lights that we used to have--of course, that was only after I spent overt two hours trying to get every light to light up.

Not only did I waste an entire, sunny, 60-some degree day, I wasted over $150 on lights that could have been used on better things.

I thought that once both kids were in college, I would have free days and nights to fish and tie but, DARN IT...things ain't working out like I planned. And work is another pain in the keister. By the time I get home from work and do all of the other things that need to be done, it's time to hit the sack and start over again the next day.

About the only thing that I am able to do on a daily basis is look at this forum and get depressed reading and seeing things you have been doing.
noreaster likes this.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:25 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How do you find the time?

With 3 kids and 60 hour work weeks, don't feel like your the only one in that boat. I feel exactly where your at. For me, i tie a few flies here and there and am lucky if i get out for 4 days in a month to fish, these only lasting just a morning and certainly not the whole day.

Hard working guys and the good family man will be rewarded later in life. Just putting in your dues bro... Plus if all we had in life was tying flies and fishing, it certainly wouldn't be as exciting.

I'm trying to get in the habit of tying just a few flies a night for the purpose of staying engaged...
dar likes this.

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 AM

inusuit will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
. . .that I was permitted . . .
Not to go all psychobabble on you, but this was an interesting statement. I'm lucky. My wife does not "permit" me to go fishing, nor do I "permit" her to indulge her interests.

If you consider Christmas lighting a waste of time, it may be appropriate to discuss issues with your significant other.

It's a matter of priorities and habit. Easy to get in the habit of piddling away what free time I have and/or feeling guilty about chores not done if I go fishing.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 AM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about

I used to feel the same way you do. Then I retired and it got worse.
mcnerney and busbus like this.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'd guess many of us are in a similar boat. I got out for a few hours yesterday, but that's just because I had a recent birthday. Got out once (maybe twice) in November, twice in October. Those were generally just a few hours on a front range creek. It's been awhile since I really had time to relax and fish for a day. Not complaining, glad to have a job and I like my work, wouldn't trade my family for anything. Fished a lot this summer, but that's because I did a lot of on-call and had work days off as comp. I was tired though

I tie in the evenings while my wife sews or reads or we watch something on TV. I just need to find time to use all these flies. My married but thus far childless brother gets a fair number of them as he gets out most weekends.

I'm giving my wife a rod for her birthday in hopes that she might learn to enjoy it and it would be something we could do together.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

The "permitted" statement was because I was able to purchase strings of LED lights instead of the miniature bulbs NOT that I "wasn't allowed" to go fishing. I wasted so much time piddling with burned out bulbs and strings that I was starting to go crazy. We use LED lights on our tree in the back room and they have all turned on each and every year we plugged them in. Those mini lights burn out all over the place. Plus I got heavy duty ones with thicker wires just to be sure for other years.

As far as it goes, I don't really enjoy putting up or taking down Christmas lights but, well, marriage is not what you get out of it; it is all about what you put into it. She really likes lights up outside and there is an obligation that I have to do things like this for her. I get out to fish enough. Would I like to go out more? You bet!! Who on this forum wouldn't? The question is should I go out more?

I will say this: I have gone out more this year than I have in the past 20-some because the kids are away in school and there actually is more time that I can spend doing things I want to do instead of going to ball games, concerts, other kid-based activities.

That said, like il_wi_fishing, I have been working 50-60 hour work weeks and they take a toll on you. I am also trying to do what he said and pull the vise out as often as I can. It's just that I am mentally and physically beat at the end of the day that I am turning into my grandfather and falling asleep just sitting on the couch trying to watch TV.

I guess I was, um, fishing to see if others are sort of in the same boat. smile:

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
My married but thus far childless brother gets a fair number of them as he gets out most weekends.

I'm giving my wife a rod for her birthday in hopes that she might learn to enjoy it and it would be something we could do together.

His time will come!

I have tried to get my wife to go out with me but she simply does not have the interest. I have really been pushing for her to learn how to tie, at least, because she has an artistic side to her and I am positive she would be great at this.

I think one thing I can do is find a semi-permanent place to put my tie box. I keep trying to put it away. If it were out, in my face, then I know I would tie more.
jaybo41 and williamhj like this.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I have always felt that a person will always able to find time to accomplish those things that are considered a priority to that person by sacrificing time spent doing things that are a bit less important.

For some, fishing and tying is a priority so they will always find the time to get those things done. Sure, they may leave that grass uncut for another day, or not paint the living room over the weekend, but that is OK because to them, those are not the most important things in life.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotech_joe View Post
I used to feel the same way you do. Then I retired and it got worse.
Same thing here with the few last minute pre-winter projects. In another day or so, I'm free.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 AM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

I dont feel your pain, during the season I usually get out twice a week
but I can also drive for 2 minutes and be at a stream of some sort
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Let's see.... I schedule it in with my work.. I have sales calls in the morning in the Denver area, then up in the mountains in the afternoon. My trip takes me up the canyon along my favorite stream. Fish for a while then back to business. My wife likes to hike/explore while I fish. We keep in contact with two-way radios, meet up for lunch. Life is good.