The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a question for you all....

I think a realistic way for this to happen would be to have regional/local get togethers. Here on the Front Range we probably have enough folks within 100 miles to hold several. I think other areas are similar. Do some fishing, eat, chat, etc. Could be fun! I know others are much more spread out. They could link up with the closest concentration of members if they were willing to travel. Local/regional get togethers seems easier to pull off than a big one, is generally cheaper to attend as well. If they catch on, then perhaps bigger ones could be possible.

Beyond that, I like the idea of linking up to fish with members who are traveling to fish. I think some folks have done that already. We certainly pass along advice (often via PM) about where to fish if folks are coming to our areas, would be fun to join them!

p.s. another way to connect is at some of the big fishing shows that often happen over the winter. I'm sure many on here will be at one or more, working in booths or just hanging out. I know I will be
theboz likes this.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

As many know, I am more than willing to meet up. I'd also be happy to offer my guest room and couches up for crashing space if one of these rallies occurs in the Buffalo area. Spring steelhead in Buffalo might be a decent excuse for some of the MidWest and East Coasters. But then again, I wouldn't mind an excuse to fish elsewhere Plus I'd love to get out to Alaska... It's probably most likely that I'll be fishing with Jaybo next, but I'd love to make one of these rallies happen.
itchmesir likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-08-2012, 12:09 AM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

The old Riversmallies website had enough members across the country to have a number of get togethers in different regions. They would attract anywhere from a dozen to more than 30 people, most from the local area but there were always a few that came from a lot farther away. I live in Missouri (well, part time in Montana now), but traveled several times to events in the east, like Virginia. The way it was always done was that a couple of members from an area would set up a meet, pick out a private campground somewhere with maybe a town with a motel nearby where those who didn't like camping could stay, pick a long weekend, and send out the info.

I'd be interested in a Montana gathering, or a Missouri (or Ozark area) gathering, for sure.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:05 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Here's a thought:

A small "test" gathering in one area. Nothing too elaborate. Just some basic tying benches, and some scheduled talks maybe with Q & A and and some coffees, soda, etc . This would test the waters a little bit. The winter months would be a good time.

Of course, some things just aren't always entirely too practical. It is important to acknowledge that in fairness to site administrators.

I have in mind that the Sportsman's Expo comes to Denver in Mid January. It could be that a meeting could be arranged by members at that event as a casual
get together but maybe that isn't practical either.

Last edited by brucerducer; 12-08-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:25 AM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Fly Fishing Pa. did this and I think it started off with alot of interest and drwindeled off into obscurity. It's a great idea.