The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default a question for you all....

has anyone here ever tried or talked about maybe having some get togethers of some kind?
reason i ask is its always nice to meet and talk with people with the same interests.
thought i might throw this out for some and see what some people thought.
on another website that i was pretty envolved in there were people from all across the country that were members of that website. on this particular website we had what they called rallies. they were rallies all across parts of the country where members of the website would get together and meet, put faces to names share stories and had a fishing tournament ( it was a bass fishing website).
what we did was someone vollenteered to be the rally coridinator and pretty much put it all together as far as where to go and stay mostly at resorts at a certain lake somewhere. there were door prizes if you will that the sponsors of the website would donate that would be given away and so on.
its a really fun time and people can put faces to website names and so on.
thought it might be fun as most of us im sure like to tell fishing stories and share info and so on and its always good to make new friends and so on. thought i would throw the idea out there and see what some thought about it.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: a question for you all....

Luked, no offense intended,but it would help if you put on your profile where you live. Example? I met jaybo here. We had a blast..even he he did school me that day....shhhhhhhh!
fredaevans and smarty140 like this.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:27 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

i live in central Missouri myself b wouldnt have to be here.
what im saying is if there are enough that would be interested maybe we could all get together at one spot. the way we did it was whoever wanted to go we would have a vote and decide on a place for everyone to get together. a lot of times we tried to make it as central as possible to the ones that wanted to go and just go from there. i have traveled up to 8 hours for one of the ones we did on the other website.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

There was some discussion about a year ago trying to gauge interest in a forum meet; a long weekend somewhere like an annual event. Hardyreels ran a poll to try to determine if there was enough interest to move forward. It must have died.

I still like the idea. Take these virtual friendships and put them on the ground. There is definitely enough knowledge and talent one this forum to create some events; fly tyer round tables, casting instruction, how to make dubbing by blowing into a coffee can...( sorry Rip Tide!).

Maybe look for that thread or contact Ard (hardyreels) to find out his what he determined.
Rip Tide and fredaevans like this.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I could,,and would,,,within reasonable distance for 'me.' I'm in southwest area of Virginia and get around the east a good bit. Going far west,,I'd have to hesitate on that one...due to some medical issues..and money issues. A 200 dollar trip is very do-able,,a 1000 dollar trip,,not so easy for me. Not that I wouldn't like to meet all of ya..I really would.

Maybe I'll run off to Alaska and just follow along behind Ard !

That wouldn't work,,I PROMISE you, I wouldn't be there a week, till I'd see a canoe being paddled across the bay and the paddler would be one'a my sterling boys yelling out 'Dad,,,got 20 on ya I can borrow !'

Are there any fly fishermen oriented programs in the Witness Protection Program ?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I had this idea a year ago for a first annual meet. However, scheduling was a major problem and I was one of the problem types. When I hatched the scheme, I had no travel plans for 2012, then I took a trip to PA. and there was the matter of salmon season here...................... The solution for me would be that I am willing to leave AK. in mid to late April but after that I need to be here.

Of course there's always the Alaska meet to consider........
williamhj and rockriver like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Of course there's always the Alaska meet to consider........
I really need to get serious about making this happen!

Maybe regional "conferences?" Like how the forums are broken up, it would reduce the financial pressure but allow folks to travel if they wanted to. Late April is crapshoot in Rockies, run-off potential is high.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't mind having a get together in Montana. Would be a good time I imagine.

Salmomfly hatch if we can time it right. Just saying.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

A lot of fly fishing forums I frequent have what they call Claves. They are pretty much exactly what you are describing. A Bunch of forum members meet up in a predetermined location to fish, have a good time, and try new thing. Lots of times they will have guest speakers, rod builders, fly tiers, company reps, etc. I bet there is quite a bit of interest on the forum to get something like this going....

-Chase
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I'm always up for a get together if there is an open couch involved