The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Experiment.....

Been thinking for a while about going to the local indoor swimming pool and seeing if they would let me come in early/late to make some observations.

I would like to see what the fish see from their viewpoint, What certain patterns look like from below, emerger patterns sitting partially submerged in the film, maybe a bugger or streamer being retrieved.
Also wondered about using various sinking lines in the deep end, seeing how they sink, staying level or bellying out.
And how different flies and materials act with different retrieves.

I think this would also give me a better idea of the fishes "window", and how it narrows and widens as the fish ascends and descends.

I wonder if I even dare try it, not sure if Chlorene will have a negative effect on the lines, more than likely would.

Heck they probably won't even let me in to try it, liabilities and all, but I think I will try asking anyway.

Am I crazy or what?
The mind does strange things to you in the Winter when your bored. LOL

I have not yet seen the Underwater DVD's that alot of folks talk about, Do they also give you the type of views I mentioned?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Experiment.....

I think i could land you on an 8wt LOL
Old 01-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Yea probably so. lol

I bet I can yank that rod right out of your hands too.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-11-2008, 05:47 PM

fatguide is on a distinguished road

I keep a small two and a half gallon aquarium around for just that reason. It has a clear bottom so I can look from underneath and see how a fly looks.

It's amazing how many fly company's parachute flies are tied with a post so tall it can be easily seen by the fish. I have to admit I used to do the same thing. Granted the taller post makes it easier for us to see the fly when fishing it, but it's all about the fishes view, not ours.

fish or DIE
Old 01-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Great point on the para's.
I guess I can also do something like this if I'm not able to go to the pool, Is yours the round type or square?

Was also thinking about tippet meaterial and it's visability, put the ol "regular tippet-vs-Fluorocarbon" test, to the test.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:09 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Some of your questions are answered in this link and the associated videos:

Field & Stream - Photo Gallery - Going Deep In The Name Of Trout Research

I found it to be interesting viewing/reading, as well as an interesting approach to questions such as those you asked.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi fyshstykr,

The fly line companies have tested sinking lines to death. I think if you get a uniform sinking line it will pretty well sink tip first. What you could learn a lot about is leaders and these can be tested in a fish tank. Another useful thing you can test is how long the tip of the different fly lines will float. The chlorine in a swimming pool would bother me. I don't know what effect it would have on your test. Obviously it doesn't have the same properties as a fresh water stream. Whether it makes any difference I don't know.

Frank
Old 01-12-2008, 12:08 PM

fatguide is on a distinguished road

The fish tank I use is an old square metal frame one. I cut a hole a little smaller than the tank in a coffee table, set the tank over the hole and lay on the floor to view. When I'm done I just put a small piece of glass into the cutout and nobody knows the difference.

fish or DIE
Old 01-20-2008, 02:01 AM

FlyChick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatguide View Post
The fish tank I use is an old square metal frame one. I cut a hole a little smaller than the tank in a coffee table, set the tank over the hole and lay on the floor to view. When I'm done I just put a small piece of glass into the cutout and nobody knows the difference.
I was glad to read that last sentence..I was wondering what your wife said to her friends to explain the fishtank & hole in the dinign room table!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:30 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hey Frank
Do you know if any research has been done on sinking lines in fresh vs salt water? things float higher in salt vs fresh i was wondering if it makes any difference in fly line sink rates? I would guess that factory sink rates are based on fresh water?
jim