The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Twisted Leaders - Step-By-Step

I am still perplexed about why it doesn't just untwist its self...especially at the end that attaches to the fly line. It just seems to defy logic to me.

Also, I wonder if you could do this out of fluorocarbon to make a leader that doesn't float so well.

Finally, I wonder if you could make a multi color one....like a hi vis butt section and the rest clear mono for nymphing without an indicator
Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I am still perplexed about why it doesn't just untwist its self...especially at the end that attaches to the fly line. It just seems to defy logic to me.

Also, I wonder if you could do this out of fluorocarbon to make a leader that doesn't float so well.

Finally, I wonder if you could make a multi color one....like a hi vis butt section and the rest clear mono for nymphing without an indicator
Answer: Yes, and yes. I've done it all. Believe me, it does not come untwisted and is a phenomenal leader. I have used fluoro with much success, but I hated having to change leaders to fish dries. I found by attaching fluoro as the tippet material it did the job.

It works great to make a hi-vis butt section. Just spin a full leader out of florescent material and, after tying the double surgeon's knot where the double twisted pieces meet, cut off the bottom section below the surgeon knot. Twist up another leader with clear mono and cut it above the double surgeon's knot. Now take both pieces (the top double twisted butt section with the loop for attaching to the fly line, and the bottom single twisted step down section with the tippet attachment loop) and tie them together with a double surgeons knot like you would if adding a piece of tippet to any leader, trim the two knotted ends and there you have it. Same connection as if you had tied it up as one piece.

Kelly.
brookfieldangler likes this.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not much of one to resurrect old threads, but here goes...

A week ago I did a tying demo and a couple of program presentations at the International Federation of Fly Fishers Fair in West Yellowstone, MT. One of the items that most participants in my workshops and tying were interested in was how to make your own twisted mono leaders. Therefore, the resurrection of this thread for any and all who may be interested.

Kelly.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:35 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I wonder if Joni has seen this thread? LOL

What about her ferruled leader business?

If folks can make their own so easy, why would they buy from the dealers on this site?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I wonder if Joni has seen this thread? LOL

What about her ferruled leader business?

If folks can make their own so easy, why would they buy from the dealers on this site?
Joni does know about these, and we are great friends. The big difference is that the furled leaders are furled, while these leaders are made only of monofilament and twisted by hand in a very simple process. The furled leaders offered here and by Joni are usually made of various sizes and colors of thread versus the monofilament material I use in these twisted leaders. Furling also requires some fairly complicated jigs with motors and such to do the furling as well as manage the variety of tapers.

Why would they buy from them instead of tie their own? Furled are different than twisted. Furled requires more steps, compound formulas and complicated jigs to accomplish the end results, but those that use them and love them swear by them. I tie my own mono leaders in minutes and I love them and swear by them - different strokes fro different folks. I by no means call these furled leaders, there is a huge difference in the construction process, but they both lay out a fly like a dream

I'm not offering these as any type of financial competition to our sponsors. Just another way to make a quality mono leader for fly fishing without the complicated process or expense required for furling.

I fish only these twisted mono leaders that I make myself, much like many other fly anglers tie up compound monofilament leaders for their fishing needs. I used to subscribe to tying my own compound leaders using step down sections of monofilament tied together with blood knots until I came upon this method quite a few years ago. I haven't looked back. I use them for dry flies, nymph rigs and streamers - even stillwater.

The twist, much like furled leaders adds a bit if stretch to the setup which seems to protect fragile tippets a bit better than regular knot-less or knotted leader systems.

Give them a try, you might fall in love with them as I did.

Kelly.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:43 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Give them a try, you might fall in love with them as I did.
I was just being a little sarcastic! LOL

I sure will give them a try!

Thanks for the instructions, Kelly.