The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Twisted Leaders - Step-By-Step

As promised, here is my step-by-step instructions for rolling your own twisted mono leaders. There is a bit of a learning curve, but not too much. The biggest problem that occurs is that of the two terminal ends of the mono you are twisting together winding back up on themselves. If you don't stop in the twisting process and un-twist these two ends you will end up with quite a mess similar to a backlash or birds nest when casting on a very windy day!

Give this a try and let others know what you think. I've been making and fishing these for about 7 years now and would not go back to any other type of leaders.

For the sake of being able to see the line in the photos better I used a dark mono. For my own use I prefer Maxima Chameleon.

Twisted Leaders - Step-By-Step:

Step 1 - After doubling 24' of 2x Maxima and stretching by looping around doorknob or some such, hold as shown in left hand if right-handed:
Click the image to open in full size.

Step 2 - Begin spinning looped mono clockwise with index and thumb of right hand. Make sure long tag ends are seperated and spin slowly allowing twists to run out of tag ends. Be patient and go slowly.

What previous step should look like as you go...

Results of 1st furl - You've spun/twisted together 24' of 2x mono by using steps 1 and 2 to achieve an approx. 12' twisted piece. On the left is your looped end (beginning)and on the right are your two tag ends

Step 3 - Tie an overhand knot in the two tag ends

Step 4 - This is what your first twist should look like with a loop in one end and two tags which you have tied together with an overhand knot. You now have 24 feet of mono twisted together to approx. 12' with a loop at one end and the knotted together ends of mono at the other. Measure 48-inches from the loop end and bring the knotted end to that point.

Step 5 - After folding the knotted ends towards the looped end 4-ft down from this loop, begin spinning at the newly formed loop (just like you did with the original single piece of mono) until you reach the knotted tags. Tie a double surgeon's knot and trim the knotted tags. The photo shows the doubled and twisted mono forming the finished fly line connection loop.

This photo shows the butt-end loop to attach to fly line along with the Surgeon's knot used to finish off the final furl described in step 5, 4-feet up from original single loop end (left-to-right)

Butt end (attaches to fly line) and terminal loop (attach tippet with loop-to-loop)

This photo shows loop for attaching butt-section to fly line, the Surgeon's knot finishing butt-section to terminal end section, and loop at end of terminal end for attaching tippet.

Step 6 - Since you started with 2x mono for this trout leader, you now attach to the terminal end loop (on left) a 30-inch piece of 2X material (on right) w/a loop-to-loop connection. Tie a Perfection Loop in one end of the 30-inch piece of 2X tippet.

Connected 2X with Perfection Loop in one end to the terminal end of the furled leader with a loop-to-loop. You are now a proud owner of an approx. 10 1/2 foot tapered twisted leader (including 30-inch piece of 2X tippet as described) to which you now attach tippet and go fishing.

I hope my instructions were clearer than mud (at least a little) and that you can achieve the same results. Good luck.

Best Fishes,

Kelly
fyshstykr, mcnerney and ted4887 like this.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Twisted Leaders - Step-By-Step

Kelly: Very interesting, something else to try in my spare time!

Larry

Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

For the benefit of the uninitiated (me), was are the advantages and disadvantages compared to conventional, furled thread or furled mono leaders.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2012, 02:54 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

nice sbs.. when i was doing my own twisted leaders.. I used a drill and 2 tea cup hooks.. doubled over the line and knotted it at the tag ends.. had one hook screwed into a wall and then other in the chuck of the drill.. put the doubled over line over the two hooks.. extended and stretched the mono without breaking and pulled the trigger on the drill... could have a twisted leader done up in like 2min.. the part after the drill was kinda tricky.. as you'd have to take the mono off the hook on the drill.. while still applying pressure.. then double over the now twisted mono.. and slowly release and let it twist around itself again.. over hand knot one side to make your loop.. and thread mono to the other end to make for your tippet..
Old 12-04-2012, 04:57 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Great SBS! I started making my own twisted leaders last year. I refuse to buy leaders anymore. Twisted leaders turn over like a dream and the possibilities are infinite. Great thread!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I've been making my own for some time now. I tried a simple overhand knot instead of the surgeons knot this year, and so far I haven't had any leaders break.
Usually 8# mono for the leader and a 3X tippet for the 3wt. & bluegills works fine.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 PM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about

Hey Kelly, fancy meeting you hear. I didn't know you were a member here too.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great sbs kelly!
thanks for sharing

casey

ARFE
Old 12-05-2012, 06:48 AM

kalgrm will become famous soon enoughkalgrm will become famous soon enough

I use a method similar to itchmesir's, but I peg mine into the lawn with screwdrivers.

Cheers,
Graeme
itchmesir likes this.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
For the benefit of the uninitiated (me), was are the advantages and disadvantages compared to conventional, furled thread or furled mono leaders.

Thanks
Two things, first, all mono, no thread. Second, no jigs or equipment to build, buy or set up, and relatively easy to make in a very short amount of time - I have made one up streamside. Also, there is no need to grease the leader to make it float like with a thread furled leader.

Kelly.

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotech_joe View Post
Hey Kelly, fancy meeting you hear. I didn't know you were a member here too.
Joe, great to see you here also. Yes I've been a member here for a while. I was pretty active at first, but the surgeries and health challenges had me as a lurker for far too long. Hopefully I'll be able to participate a bit more. Hope all is well with you brother.

Kelly.