The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 03:50 PM

luked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura about
Default Would you have 2 rods?? question for you all

i am looking at getting a new setup here sometime soon hopefully. the rod i have now is a Temple Fork BVK in a 9' 5wt its a nice rod but always wanted a really nice rod...not no huge need but just want one. the one i am looking at getting is a Sage One 486.
pretty much all of the fly fishing i do is for trout at parks we have here and there is really only one decent tailwater we have which is Tannycomo lake.
where i have planned on getting the new rod will offer me a trade in on my Temple Fork rod, as far as what they will give me for it i have no idea.
my question that i thought i would ask you all is would you trade the temple fork rod in or keep it...depending on price at least.
only reason i thought i would ask some of you is with having 2 rods pretty close to the same as far as length and wt i dont know if it would really be feasable for me to keep it if i can get a decent price on trading it in.
thought i might keep it and use it as a back up but i also have a 8'6" 3wt that i built years ago i probably wont ever get rid of. and really no one like the wife has ever shown any kind of interest in fly fishing at all. got 2 kids and i would say my son would be the one that would show interest but hes 4 now so gonna be a little bit to big of a rod for him for quite a few years at least
thought i might ask you all and hear some of your thoughts
Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: Would you have 2 rods?? question for you all

Keep it, you can never have to many rods.

Rick
Pocono, Guest1, fredaevans and 2 others like this.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:09 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

It's your first rod. Sentimentally speaking, keep it.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Why that particular Sage? It seems awfully close in purpose and function to what you've already got, but maybe not quite as versatile. I also think it's working at cross-purposes to match a lighter line weight like a 4 with a faster rod like the One.

If it were me and I already had that BVK, which is a pretty good all-round trout rod, I would think about adding either a shorter, slower 4 weight for delicate presentations and small-stream work (maybe an 8' or 7' 6" Sage ZXL, which you can probably find right now at a nice closeout discount, or similar) or else a faster 6-weight that would be handy for windy conditions and longer casts and weighted streamers and nymphs (maybe a Sage One or an Orvis Helios 2 Tip Flex). Having one of those plus the BVK would expand my ability to fish more kinds of situations.

If I were looking to have just one very nice rod that could perform in the widest variety of situations, I would probably trade in the BVK for a higher-end 8.5' or 9' 5 weight, not a 4 weight. There are a lot of nice ones on the market.
gjcordray likes this.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:16 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

What the others said, plus you have a backup rod.
I'd never go on even a day trip without a backup rod.
mrfzx, sbreech and yonder like this.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Dude.. you're in MO.. why are you hitting the trout ponds when there are some amazing streams down there to be fished!?!?!
stl_geoff and sbreech like this.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM
sbreech

If your heart is set on having a Sage One, then by all means get it. It's a very nice rod. BUT, and I cannot emphasize this enough...my all-time favorite trout rod is the Orvis Superfine. You can't go wrong with either. The Sage Circa was a pretty dang nice casting rod as well...
Old 12-04-2012, 04:48 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

You can never have enough rods! And the 8'6 will be a noticeably better dry fly rod than the 9' 5 so you will definitely see a difference there.

Usually when i fish i carry a 9'6 5 weight and an 8'6 4 weight, the 5 wt rigged for nymphs and the 4wt for dries, that way i can switch back and forth without rerigging if a hatch comes off etc.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:34 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I'd hang on to the TFO if it suits you.
You never know when you might want to go back to it.
jaybo41 and sbreech like this.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:52 PM

luked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura about

i do like the TFO and i mainly right now jsut nymph fish for the biggest portion of mu fishing. but i want a nice dry fly rod also which the TFO is ok but honestly i would really like to have the Sage one. i did look at the Sage Circa also and it was a sweet stick as well.

as for someone who said something about fishing the streams...where are they at? i really dont know of any around here for trout other than the parks. i know there are the ribbon streams is that what you were talking about?