The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly rigging?

Some people find it strange, but I tie second and third flies off the eye, not the bend. I was getting plenty of rejections as the fish would come up and feel the tippet in the way. Off the eye seems to get this effect less. For double fly rigs sometimes just 5x to a dry with a long tag end left to tie the dropper. Two knots instead of three is better and more efficient IMO as the knots are the weak points.

I frequently step down tippet size from top to bottom, lots of snags around here. Better to lose one fly than all of them at once! I have not experimented much with extended dropper tags hanging off the main line. Just looks like a huge tangle waiting to happen. I generally just set the rig up linearly, and do pretty well.

Split shot or heavy beadheads will help you get to the right depth when nymphing difficult fish.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 PM

bigkais89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Some people find it strange, but I tie second and third flies off the eye, not the bend. I was getting plenty of rejections as the fish would come up and feel the tippet in the way. Off the eye seems to get this effect less. For double fly rigs sometimes just 5x to a dry with a long tag end left to tie the dropper. Two knots instead of three is better and more efficient IMO as the knots are the weak points.

I frequently step down tippet size from top to bottom, lots of snags around here. Better to lose one fly than all of them at once! I have not experimented much with extended dropper tags hanging off the main line. Just looks like a huge tangle waiting to happen. I generally just set the rig up linearly, and do pretty well.

Split shot or heavy beadheads will help you get to the right depth when nymphing difficult fish.
I use the same method. I too like leaving the long tag after the first fly. Less knot tying and a lil sneakier.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Those links I posted are good starting points, but depending on where you live and what water you fish is going to determine how you use the set-up.

I never fish with more than two flies because, for one, it is actually illegal in Arizona. I also would rather fish one dry fly effectively than worry about droppers and tag ends, etc.... when I should be focusing on currents and drifts.

On some waters, two flies makes a more effective rig. For instance, the San Juan river. I played around with single and two fly rigs because I wanted to see for myself if the attractor did anything, after all, most fish won't move very far to take a small little midge. But two flies was definitely more effective than one, the attractor aspect of an annelid or a second midge definitely draws attention from the fish.

I only use three methods to fish two flies: occasionally I will leave my tag end long on the first fly and attach a second. Most of the time with a hopper dropper I'll add a bit of tippet to the bend of the hook and tie a nymph, or very rarely, second dry fly off of that. And sometimes (I tried this on the San Juan) I will, as tbloom suggested, drop the second fly off of the eye of the first fly with a length of tippet, provided I am fishing fine enough tippet and a large enough first fly that it will fit smoothly.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I learned to fish multi-fly rigs when I was a kid.
How to tie the Dropper Loop
My grandfather would normally fish 3 winged wets and that's how I first learned to fly fish. It's a deadly but little used technique to this day.
While we used whippy wet fly action 9' cane rods back then, it's not at all difficult to cast a multi-fly rig.
You just need to forget everything that's been drilled into your head about tight loops and a fast line speed
tbblom likes this.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I learned to fish multi-fly rigs when I was a kid.
[url=http://www.animatedknots.com/dropperloop/index.php] How to tie the Dropper Loop /url]
My grandfather would normally fish 3 winged wets and that's how I first learned to fly fish. It's a deadly but little used technique to this day.
While we used whippy wet fly action 9' cane rods back then, it's not at all difficult to cast a multi-fly rig.
You just need to forget everything that's been drilled into you about tight loops and fast line speed
Yes!!! Wide, open loops traveling slowly enough they don't tangle but fast enough to get full distance from the cast are key.