The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Leader problems

I agree with comments on getting yourself some furled leaders. No more coil / leader memory issues. You can order from us, or Joni on this forum as well or make your own. if you have questions, feel free to pm me.
Thanks

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone! I'll try hand straightening first, them move on to a straightener.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

I carry one of the leader straighteners but ill have to say a furled leader is the way to go I got one about 2 years ago and it's still on the same rod and works just as good as the day I put it on I love them
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

no need for a leader straightener when you use a furled leader.. there's a lot less you need in general.. like buying more usually.. as a furled leader will also last you a couple seasons usually
Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Even though the person asked specifically how to straighten a leader, furled leaders are good in many cases. Even so, on the furled leaders I make and use I still tie a tippet section on them which still needs straightening if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:48 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Even though the person asked specifically how to straighten a leader, furled leaders are good in many cases. Even so, on the furled leaders I make and use I still tie a tippet section on them which still needs straightening if I'm not mistaken.
mono furled leaders may need the smallest amount of straightening.. but that's if it's been sitting in your leader wallet for a couple months.. and still then its usually just a quick tug to straighten it out
Old 12-05-2012, 03:11 PM

dar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I never really liked those straighteners but I just start at the butt and stretch it by hand in probably 3' sections till I'm at the tippet. If I don't get it first time around try again till its how I want it.
I agree. Easy and simple.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I never really liked those straighteners but I just start at the butt and stretch it by hand in probably 3' sections till I'm at the tippet. If I don't get it first time around try again till its how I want it.
I've been doing it the way Bill tells you ever since I figured out that a little heat would make a leader lay out like a que stick. No gadget, no expense and no coiled leaders either.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice

I "THIRD" the comments of Raindogt and Hardyreels (ard). I am a die hard Long leader dry fly guy.....I won't disparage furled leaders as they have some good qualities and loyal followers and I've owned/used a few also. I love Mono tapered leaders......I still have a leader straightener on my fly vest which I used ONCE 13 years ago. Just take that leader right out of the packet...let in unravel and use your HANDS 3 feet apart to straighten it out.....and by the way - you don't need much attention to the tippet section that generally stays pretty limp anyway. Buy some tippet rings and attach them to the end before you add extra tippet and it will last all season.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 PM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road

I just saw how to make a furled leader and that is really easy and seem like it would be better than the leaders I am using.

What brand and weight of mono do some of you use to make yours? I would like to try it out and see how it does.