The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 02:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leader problems

I have a leader straightener on my vest as well. It makes for a dandy zipper-pull.
Like the others I most often stretch my leaders by hand, but I don't believe that the commercial straightener actually causes any real damage unless you're being stupid about it.
At least not in my experience.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Leader problems

Most of my lines have furled leaders on them now, but when I use tapered mono leaders, here's how I straighten them: I stick my left index finger in my mouth and cover it with spit. I wrap the leader once around the index finger and hold it lightly in place with my thumb. Then I pull the leader with the right hand. If it cuts your left index, you ain't got enough spit. If it gets hot, you're pulling too fast. If you pull till your arms are fully extended, you'll have straightened a length nearly the same as your height. Finish with more of the same.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey