The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM

mac0001 is on a distinguished road
Red face Big Meadows Campground alternative, Shenandoah National Park

Hoping someone from the area might be able to help with some camping ideas. This is my first post and I am looking for some information for a first time trip planned for a week long fishing trip this spring.

My hopes were to basecamp at Big Meadows and spend a week fishing a different stream each day. During my research I noticed that Big Meadows is not available for Reservation until May and my plans are for the week of April 20 this coming spring.

Anyone knows of a campground really close to Big Meadows Campground. Big Meadows campground was centrally located to all the streams I was interested in fishing. For my first trip to the area I donít want to spend time looking for backcountry campsites or moving from one site to another.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Big Meadows Campground alternative, Shenandoah National Park

HI Mac -- sorry, no specificd advice on campgrounds, but please do post your results here or send me a PM about it . I've camped there many times, and also the Lewis cabins -- but all before I was a fly fisherman....darn!

I'd love to see how you do - it's beautiful out there.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Big Meadows Campground alternative, Shenandoah National Park

Just camp there since it sounds like hardly anyone uses it that early, first come, first served. If I'm wrong, I guess I really don't understand you question.
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...mpground-2.pdf

Last edited by rockriver; 12-05-2012 at 09:05 PM.