The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default What subspecies of trout is this?

I took a family tip to California a two summers ago and I was fortunate enough to get some fly fishing in. We were in Sequoia National park and my Dad and I found some random creek that went under General's highway. I believe it was called clover creek but I may be wrong. I found the only water that was fishable (the water was high because of the show melt) and cast a nymph rig into the seam. I actually ended up catching a few fish. I was wondering if anyone could identify this fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

this probably wasn't the best place to ask this question sorry
brucerducer likes this.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What subspecies of trout is this?

Pretty hard to see the fish. I'd say it's a rainbow with prominent par marks.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Young rainbow trout with parr marks.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

What they said.

Juvinile fish have different markings to aid in their camoflage, much like other young mammals and birds do (think spotted fawns, drab chicks). The large dark ovals are called parr marks.

http://fisheries.btc.ctc.edu/Handout...TIFICATION.pdf
Old 12-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

There was one more possibility given where you caught it. There are also Golden Trout in the park. However, they don't seem to have spots below their lateral line so I am going to say Rainbow also. Here is a Golden Trout with nice par marks.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I guess that's settled, I moved the thread to General Discussion

It looked like this huh?

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

By the way, welcome to the forum, I don't remmember reading any post from you before
brucerducer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, he's the guy who has been making me jealous by posting photos of giant trout and carp!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:30 PM

wtl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
There was one more possibility given where you caught it. There are also Golden Trout in the park. However, they don't seem to have spots below their lateral line so I am going to say Rainbow also. Here is a Golden Trout with nice par marks.
Looking through my golden pics from the summer I found a pic with a golden trout that has 2 spots below the par marks. Its not quite like the fish he posted, but it isn't impossible it seems.

You might never know for sure, but I would say with a decent confidence that it is a rainbow.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice photo. That wipes out my no spots below the lateral line theory. I also understand there has been some hybridizing between Golden and Rainbows in there so .....?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:57 PM

Golden trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss aguabonita) are just a sub-species of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), much like the Great Basin Redband trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss newberri) or the Columbia River Redband Trout ( Oncorhynchus mykiss gairdneri). In other words, all golden trout are rainbow trout but not all rainbow trout are golden trout.

Looks 100% like a rainbow to me.