The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Steelhead Leader

I have some 10lb mono laying around the house that I am considering twisting up to make some steelhead leader for my upcoming trip. By twisting it up, it will give me a 40lb butt section tapering down to 20lb and then tippet of my choosing.

1. Is 10lb mono going to be overkill?

2. What length should I make them?

Thanks in advance

- Ian
Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steelhead Leader

I have a twisted leader on a WF9F (saltwater) line made from 16#test mono.
It's just about right for that application.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

For Lake Erie Steel, I will generally do one of two things.

I'll make my own with a butt of 25 or 20 and taper it down to 3x. I've used various recipes for the leader construction and have even made them up to 14-15 ft.

The other thing I do is get a 9ft leader and cut it and add fluoro to it.

40lb in my opinion would be too heavy. I'd bet on the heavy side for Ontario tribs for steelies as well.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're using one very heavy (line weight) rod, my .02 cents suggest 10# would be gross over kill.
oarfish and lthrnk03 like this.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:41 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

I found some 6lb test, which would give me an 18lb butt section. Twisted it up into a 7ft leader. This will allow me to add 2ft of tippet material and get a 9ft leader.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
I found some 6lb test, which would give me an 18lb butt section. Twisted it up into a 7ft leader. This will allow me to add 2ft of tippet material and get a 9ft leader.
For a 6wt (and down) rod that Puppy will hunt. For 7 - 9 jump up to 8 so you're closer to 25-30 pound in the butt section. Object of the 'butt' is to take the thrust of the rolling out line and transfer same to a quickly tapering leader/fly. In an 'ideal world' the cross section of the butt (width) should be the same/slightly smaller than that of the fly line. Leader then just extends the fly line taper.

Not unusual for 2hander guys to clip back the tip of a fly line (micrometer) to get the 'fit.'
lthrnk03 likes this.