The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is it worth fishing if it is raining?

BWO's before the downpour. Nuff said!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Should be fine bus. Hmmm...there's that mustachio gang man again
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Fishing is supposed to be fun. You either enjoy fishing in the rain or you don't. If you won't have fun, then why bother? If you can enjoy the fishing you think you'll do, then why not? Some fish are worth fishing in the rain for. Some aren't. You have to decide if you're an "all weather die-hard", "fair-weather", or likely somewhere in between since you're asking. Some waters and/or fish are worth the inconvenience of certain weather elements, be they heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, or whatever.

As has been said, the fish are already wet. Weather conditions may change how and where they feed or what they feed on, but they still gotta eat. If you go, be prepared to change your tactics or accept your chosen tactic may not work as well as you might like.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Depends a lot on what the weather conditions have been like in the previous days (and weeks). After a bit of dry weather a rain can really turn on the bite.

Just watch out for steep banks & muddy trails.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

I think you just have to ask yourself this, would I rather stay home, do chores and sit looking at a screen, or be on a trout stream?

you already know the answer, just embrace it
Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Only if it's a really hot day and a cool rain. Just look at the grimmace on Dan's face. You can tell he's trying hard to pretend he's having fun.
Yes,,Dan is miserable. His friends all went home and he had to lift that big ol' fish all my himself. Fishing is a miserable,wet, dirty, thankless job. But,,someone HAS to do it !
Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, guys. You see, I am new to this stuff. I didn't know if fish in a shallow stream would act differently if it were raining. And I didn't know if the rain hitting the water would make it harder for the fish to see the fly. Never thought it would help hide ME instead.

Thanks for all the help. Gotta love this place!!

Ray
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Are you fishing the tribs for steelhead or trouting?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

From my 'readings' the change in barro-pressure (down) with rain can have a negative impact on lake fishing. Not true with stream/river fishing as that's always changing (water depth from spot to spot) anyway.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM

dar is on a distinguished road

I don't think the rain is the main issue, but the cold front. I never thought that a change in baro pressure affected stream fish like it does lake and pond fish. But anymore I am not so sure.

The second weekend of Nov I found myself fishing on one of my favorite spring creeks. Saturday was unseasonably warm and the bite was good. That night it started to rain and sometime on Sunday morning the cold front hit. We caught a few trout but had to work for them much harder than we did the day before. The rain by the way did not affect the water clarity nor was there a significant rise.

If it was me I would give it a shot. Especially on the first day. If things go down hill after that you can always stay in and tie fles.

Dave