The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Is it worth fishing if it is raining?

Go, I had one of my best numbers day in the rain. Just wear the proper gear.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
Depends a lot on what the weather conditions have been like in the previous days (and weeks). After a bit of dry weather a rain can really turn on the bite.

Oh so true. When I caught that fish as soon as it started to rain the bite went insane. I did not have rain gear with me so I went as fast as I could do it, to get rain gear. I wanted the cheapest I could get, but there was no cheap gear around. This was spendy rain gear but I love it. That fish in the photo was one of at least a dozen that look pretty much just like it. If i had not been able to find rain gear at all I would have worn a trash bag and kept fishing. It was freakin awsome to say the least.
noreaster likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Oh so true. When I caught that fish as soon as it started to rain the bite went insane. I did not have rain gear with me so I went as fast as I could do it, to get rain gear. I wanted the cheapest I could get, but there was no cheap gear around. This was spendy rain gear but I love it. That fish in the photo was one of at least a dozen that look pretty much just like it. If i had not been able to find rain gear at all I would have worn a trash bag and kept fishing. It was freakin awsome to say the least.
And I've actually used a plastic trash bag with hastily cut holes for my head and arms as rain gear. Fishing was just too good to leave or worry about my appearance.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 PM

opie610 is on a distinguished road

I had a half day of work today and then hit the creek. Caught six nice rainbows on a white BH woolly bugger. It rained steady the whole time. Funny thing when your catchin fish you don't even know it's raining. Had a blast, going back out tomorrow.
yonder likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:49 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yep, fishing in the rain is normally good as long as 1. you have your raincoat or a hefty bag and 2. the rain isn't blowing out the water your fishing.
other than that, i've had many good days fishing in a bit of rain.

casey

ARFE
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

When either the fishing is good or there is a tough fish I'm trying to catch, it is amazing how cold, wet, and hunger disappear.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
When either the fishing is good or there is a tough fish I'm trying to catch, it is amazing how cold, wet, and hunger disappear.
Loved this post. My (now just one) two old dogs used to tell me if 'we' were having a 'good day fishing' during the winter. I'm getting zip, they knew it and would park themselves on the beach behind me and give out a collective 'howl.'

Which roughly translated to 'Get us the hell out of here! LIKE NOW!!'

Really crummy winter weather around here is pretty unusual, save for it can drop in to the 'teens. Had one of those last winter and the two dogs didn't take 5 steps out the front door and turned around and marched right back into the house. Hardly had the chance to close the door before I was opening same up again.

Not hard to tell 'who' ran this place ......... Funny part is both loved to watch TV, especially Soccer. Two would be flaked out on my bed with chins on the foot board. They'd stay that way through the whole Match. Then off the bed and come into my office for their 'cookie treats.'

230'ish pound of total fur covered devotion ... went both ways. Even if I had to vacuum the carpets every day. Twice weekly full on brushing or no, God could those two shed a ton of hair (or is it fur, never could remember).

Lived at the base of Mt. Ashland for several years and as soon as the snow started on went the studded snow tyres. Those two just LOVED to play in that stuff. Some of the greatest photo's I've ever taken in my life of them having a total I'M FREEEEEEE romps.

One time was a not so good time; total white out blizzard on the Mountain. (Totally stupid to even try.) Even with studs and 4x4 getting us back down the hill was a trip. One of the few times I thought I'd have to do a '911' for a tow truck. God only knows what that would have cost. Dogs just sat there and watched me dig out the Jeep with my hands.

Fred
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I've only read the topic question, and none of the posts yet, and the simple answer is:

YES.
williamhj likes this.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:39 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I've only read the topic question, and none of the posts yet, and the simple answer is:

YES.
I said go. Go = Yes.

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar View Post
I don't think the rain is the main issue, but the cold front. I never thought that a change in baro pressure affected stream fish like it does lake and pond fish. But anymore I am not so sure.

Dave
I just read an article on another forum about this, I would say it does.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Yes.

I've caught some of my biggest fish in the rain. I don't have any reasonable explanation for that. It just is.