The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Is it worth fishing if it is raining?

I have the next five days in a row off!! Woo-hoo!!!

Of course, a cold front is coming in and moving very slowly, so it is going to rain almost constantly over the next five days. Of course, it is set to be sunny for the next three days.

But I really want to go fishing. I sort of NEED it. There is a catch-and-release stream about and hour-and-fifteen minutes away, Dunbar Creek in Uniontown, PA.

Is it worth going if is will rain all day? I have a raincoat with a hood...
Old 12-06-2012, 04:36 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth fishing if it is raining?

Like my father always told me
"The fish don't care. They're already wet !"
Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Yes it is if rain accumulation doesn't blow out the river or stream. All depends on how much rain received. But if you need to go, go and have fun rain or shine. You may be the only one out there catching fish. Vr
il_wi_fishing likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Some of the best days fishing have been in a little rain trying to stay dry..(and nights..I love the black arts..nighttime cat-fishing...only thing I use a spinning rod for)

And,,you will remember those trips forever. No one remembers a picnic.....but they do remember the tire they changed at night in the rain ! Maybe I learned this when I was a trapper....you do not even look at the weather,,you have to run the line anyways.

It's ALL good !

Michael
Old 12-06-2012, 04:41 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

It's ALWAYS worth going fishing! Is this a trick question?
Guest1, itchmesir and busbus like this.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Enough said......
Click the image to open in full size.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:49 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Rain is always good for fishing, the rain hides you even more.

Rick
itchmesir likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Swinging streamers can be fun in the rain. Love the feeling of a bass or trout striking a swung wooly bugger. Depending on the river, the water can get so high you have trouble getting your fly down to the fish or the water can get so mucky they fish can't see it. On some streams this can happen quickly but on many you can keep on fishing in the rain. Otherwise, the fish keep feeding but the dry flies will probably have to stay in your vest
Old 12-06-2012, 05:16 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Only if it's a really hot day and a cool rain. Just look at the grimmace on Dan's face. You can tell he's trying hard to pretend he's having fun.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about

definitely, I caught one of my biggest fish when it was raining. It's also a lot harder to spook the fish singe the surface is choppy from the storm.