The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By drc
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default Has anyone tried the new Rio VersiTip II fly line?

I was looking at getting the Rio Versa tip fly line for my 8wt, primarily for bass fishing and some times for cold water. I was just wondering if its worth paying 160 bucks. if anyone has used it or has any input it would be appreciated.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone tried the new Rio VersiTip II fly line?

I'm bumping this up as you didn't get an answer, hopefully someone will answer your question. I haven't used that line so I can't help, but honestly I wouldn't pay that much money for ANY line.

Larry
theboz likes this.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

I too have been curious.. But like Larry says.. Never would pay full price for that.. seen them on the auction site going for under $100..
Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just personal opin here, nothing more. Buy a shooting line and then just buy the 'tips' you think you'll need for the fishing conditions/water you play on.

Shooting line can be topped off with anything you want over the years. From personal observation, the bulk of what you buy in these 'multi-tips' will never see water.

Again, just my .02 cents.

fae
Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 AM

akruss will become famous soon enough

I haven't used the new Versi Tip but I used the original one on a 7 weight for years when I lived in Alaska. I thought it was the best thing since bottled beer. The line I had came with 3 tips; a floater, slow sink and fast sink. I used all 3 tips and found the system to be very handy. The cost of the line was offset by not having to purchase extra spools for other lines. The new Versi Tip comes with a clear intermediate tip that I'm not familiar with and I have never fished with one. I agree the price seems very high. The only complaint I had with my Vesi Tip was that I seemed to fish a lot with the line distance such that it seemed the loops were constantly going through my tip top. Still, it worked great for Alaskan trout and salmon. I have no intention of getting new Versi Tips for my trout and panfish rods and not likely for my bass or salt water rods.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about

Here's my delima, I want a sink tip line for bass fishing and i can't decide which sink rate to get. Also my floating line could use replacing so I figured that it would be more cost effective to get the system so I wouldnt have to buy a new spool and new floating line.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:47 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

I understand your dilemma. Depending on the reel, extra spools can be very spendy, especially if you need to buy two of them, LOL. The least expensive way of getting a floater and two sink tips is likely the Versi Tip unless you already have extra spools. The original Versi Tip that I owned cast and performed very well. Fishing in Alaska I did a lot of what's called "flipping" where you toss (not really cast) a small amount of line repeatedly. I found that this length generally required the loops near my tip top, which I wasn't really fond of but I still preferred the line over others. I found changing tips was easier than changing spools as there was no need to rethread the rod. In addition the tip wallet is small and easily fits in a front pocket of your vest. My only concern for your situation is that I believe the Versa Tip is a cold water line and I'm not sure how it would work in the extreme heat. I'm not sure where you want to fish this line and it may be worth looking into.