The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 03:21 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need guidance

Hi Fatih Welcome,as you can see we have a crew of good friendly & helpful people here.
I've also made Flies from Cat Fur,Dog Fur & all have caught Fish.
Even though I have a Library of Flytying Books,200-300,probably more as I only bought another the other day,I find Davie McPhail & others on You-Tube are excellent & would be a real help to learners.
Cheers.
Brian.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 12-09-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 PM

querorz is on a distinguished road

Thanks Madjoni. I guess as the starting point, i should choose mullets. Because i have a very easy access to sea and the sea is full of mullets. And the sea is so deep. If i can manage to cast my fly about 10 meters, it is gonna be fine. And other reason that makes mullets ideal for beginning is that there is a whole bunch of source about mullet fishing , i guess because they are easy to hunt. Also, at the sea i will have a great space to work on my casting. I don't know what you think about that.

Ditz, these are some great information. I was a little panicked because there is no sinking line in Turkey. But apparently i won't even need it. I have a silicon spray that is used to prevent spearfishing from corrosion. Do you think that's gonna do the job? I don't have 1 little clue about materials used to create flies. I will buy some ready to use flies(they are so poor quality and very few kinds are available) . I will keep cell foam in mind. Thank you.

Silver, i thank you very much. I will check some stores to see if they have those materials. That looks very useful. Thank you.

Brian i am watching them everyday. I guess i should order my gear by Monday. Your crew(or now "our crew") is so awesome. I thank you all.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 PM

And Madjoni, i forgot to mention. There is a stream that has mullets in it. That stream might be a good practice spot .
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Fatih. Mullet are hard to catch, but I think I saw something somewhere they will hit smal flies that look like seaweed. I will look around and see if I can find it again. If I do I'll post it for you.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:56 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Fatih,I dont know much about sea fish but do know that mullet is going into rivers and that is possible to catch it on flies,even on dry flies like imitations of mosquito during summer time.I am still thinking that is much easier to catch any freshwater species than salt ones....
Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Is it really hard? Oh dangg... Thanks for your help.

Guys by the way i am ordering my gear tomorrow... Please tell me if i am getting anything wrong. Are these products compatible with each other?

Shimano BXT56 BIOCRAFT XT FLY MAKNE 1RB | Fly Olta Makineleri

Shimano Biocraft Fly EV A 274 cm #6 3 Paral Fly Kam | Fly Olta Kamlar
Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Welcome to the forum Fatih. Mullet are hard to catch, but I think I saw something somewhere they will hit smal flies that look like seaweed. I will look around and see if I can find it again. If I do I'll post it for you.
Caught freshwater Mulet on white deer hair bugs in Jamaica. The locals were feeding them bread.
Salt water mullet on Sabiki flys or small (22s) flashabou flys, when the school is in every cast. I think beside plantlife they eat tiny copeopods.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 PM

Madjoni I just saw your answer, sorry about that. There are a couple of species in all rivers of Turkey. Like this one
Or this one

These are normally not huntable with any artificial lures. But a man told me that it is possible to hunt them with a fly which looks like a fly larvae.(Using this material http://www.guleryuzmalzeme.com/image...-175835-13.jpg) . But he says that your fly needs to stay in stinky chicken for a couple hours. So , i don't think this can be called fly fishing. What do you think?

I am hoping that even if a don't get a mullet, i will get some other fishes like in the link i sent you. Maybe i can get a carp too. Not sure about that. In the USA , you release all the fishes you catch. But here i guess 1% of the hunted fishes are released. We don't have lots of fish here. :/

theboz, what i heard about mullets is they can be hunted with any fly. You just need to be lucky that mullet will be willing to attack your bait.

I will tell you something about mullet which i experienced in last 5 years. You know mullets live in herds. When they see something to eat , either none of them attacks to that food or all of them will attack it. I guess this is called herd behaviour.

Guys i wanna ask another couple questions.
1- I am sure i won't ever get a huge fish. I guess i don't need to buy the backup line which is put on the reel before fly line. Am i right?

2- I want to try some fly tying but there isn't an option of "fly hooks" in online fishing stores. I guess i will be fine with other hooks as long as they have a circle to tie my line. How right is that? In videos fly hook lookt me like small carp hooks with a circle.

TY guys. You are great...
Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by querorz View Post
Guys i wanna ask another couple questions.
1- I am sure i won't ever get a huge fish. I guess i don't need to buy the backup line which is put on the reel before fly line. Am i right?

It's better to fill your reel with backing unless it's small and the line is sufficient

2- I want to try some fly tying but there isn't an option of "fly hooks" in online fishing stores. I guess i will be fine with other hooks as long as they have a circle to tie my line. How right is that? In videos fly hook lookt me like small carp hooks with a circle.
You can easily find fly hooks online in other countries or on ebay.
Agree with Dan...I've heard mullets are not easy to catch on a fly...are there any chub in your streams?
Aboard...there's been a hatch of worldwide members...lately
Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Fatih.
I thought I'd better tell you if you are chasing Mullet,if The Water is Brackish/Salty make sure you Rinse your Reels & Lines in Warm Water to remove any substance to prevent corosion,also it doesn't hurt to occassionally remove The Spool for an Inspection/Clean,then you can re-lubricate it.
Brian.