The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 03:20 AM
querorz

Default Need guidance

Hi guys,

I am Fatih, from Turkey. I am trying to learn fly fishing with a great appetite but in my country it is impossible to find any source and guidance, since Fly Fishing is not popular at all. I seriously need your help.

I have thousands of questions in my head but i will start with a couple of them.

First of all i need to buy some gear i guess. I read some articles about that and i decided to buy:

5 WT 9 Feet long fishing rod

5 WT Fly reel

5 WT Fly line Floating

4x or 5x Leader line(I don't know how you call that. This is the line placed between fly line and fly ) .

I don't know if these are identical for a beginner. Please note that i want to go fishing both for freshwater and saltwater. Especially in saltwater i might need to cast my fly really far.

I haven't appreciated being able to speak English so much before. Information is so precious. Being able to ask you to share your information with me is priceless.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by querorz; 12-07-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Need guidance

Hello Faith,

Welcome to the forum, there will be many different opinions but I believe the gear you are describing will make a good starting set. You will need to search for You Tube or maybe DVDs to show proper casting technique.

It is not impossible to learn alone, I did it.

Do you read in English? If so this book Fishing Fly Fishing Fly Fishing by Tom McNally 0060128682 | eBay

If you read English I believe this to be the best basic book for instructing all proper casting, knots, and many other aspects of fishing for a beginner. It is old but the information is ageless.

Ard
fredaevans and lthrnk03 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 AM
querorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hello Faith,

Welcome to the forum, there will be many different opinions but I believe the gear you are describing will make a good starting set. You will need to search for You Tube or maybe DVDs to show proper casting technique.

It is not impossible to learn alone, I did it.

Do you read in English? If so this book Fishing Fly Fishing Fly Fishing by Tom McNally 0060128682 | eBay

If you read English I believe this to be the best basic book for instructing all proper casting, knots, and many other aspects of fishing for a beginner. It is old but the information is ageless.

Ard
Thank you so much Ard. I appreciate your help . It will take weeks to get a book ordered from another country. So i am looking for books which i can buy in PDF format, or read online.

As far as i see this book is not available in PDF or online readible. If you have any other advices i will appreciate it.

Now , i want to clear some question marks about fly fishing. Because right now there are lots of things that don't make any sense for me about fly fishing

1- Why do people not use just coarse fishing equipment to do fly fishing? Just use a transparent bobber with your fly and you can cast it to a very long distance. This way you won't need any extra equipment too. I hope you get what i mean? To someone who doesn't know about fly fishing, it looks so weird...

2- Fly fishing line is so easily distinguishable by fishes. Does it not scare them? Why don't we use a transparent line?

3- Is it possible to hunt ground level fishes with fly fishing? I mean you know, some fishes will be on surface, and some will be in deep spots and never come up. Is it possible to get your fly to deep spots? Is that gonna be effective?

4- I know that it is possible to catch saltwater fishes with fly fishing. But is it worth to effort you spend?

I mean which one is true? a- Fly fishing is very effective and useful in saltwater or b-Fly fishing can be used in saltwater but that's not the best way to do it. It works but it is not worth to use it just because it works in saltwater.

5- Can i hunt any fish with fly , if i use right fly?

Sorry about keeping you so busy with my questions . Thank you very much.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I will try to answer your questions for you..

1) Some people do use normal fishing gear to throw flies.. There is a product called a casting bubble.. which is just a clear bobber basically.. which adds weight to the line to be able to cast small flies

2) Fishes often encounter unusually items floating around them all the time with how filthy humans are.. and stream fish always have things floating by them constantly so as long as the line falls delicately to the water surface.. it will not disturb the fish.. especially if the water is not crystal clear.. they do make clear lines but there is often issues with their performance.. salt water lines are often blue/grey/seaweed in color to help camouflage the line as well.. and freshwater lines also come in dull/drab colors to help camouflage them as well.. but often from the fishes view point the line just looks like a shadow or grey as long as it's floating on the surface of the water

3) Fish can be caught in any depth within reason.. obviously you won't get a fly to go 50' deep... It's all a matter of how heavy the fly is.. The fly line used... As they make sinking line and sink tip line in which the first 15' of the fly line sinks at a given rate of 1 inch per second.. 3 inches per second... and so on.. Speed of current can also play a factor.. Fast rivers require heavy flies to get down fast

4) Effort spent worth it? I imagine if you are looking into fly fishing that you already enjoy fishing.. Fly fishing has a learning curve and there can be much frustration.. But as long as you stick to it and look at resources such as books... internet(youtube for example or forums like ours).. and DVDs.. But overall fly fishing can be very rewarding.. In my honest opinion and I'm sure many others.. The fight a fish puts on a fly rod is beyond words.. It's amazing.. It's addicting.. No comparison to your normal fishing gear in my honest opinion

5) Learning proper release techniques will increase chances of mortality for any fish caught.. whether it be with a lure or a fly

If you need anything else cleared up feel free to ask
Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Hello Fatih,

Ardy said it,you can learn by your self,no problem.Of course it would be much easier if there is some one to show you,but if you like it you will learn it.
Now about questions I will answer how I see it:

1-From first question I see that you never did it.I mean you never tried fly rod and never felt fly line.Fly fishing is not about getting all fishes anytime everywhere by all means.If you think about your bag being full of fish stay with coarse rod and live baits.Fly fishing is not about fly rod,fly reel and not even about artificial flies,it is all about fly line and casting fly line.When that rhythm of casting front and back get into your bones you will never ask this question again

2-on rivers you dont have to think about this,line is not scaring fish,and you can find if you like even transparent fly line

3-yes

4-I dont fish salt so I will skip this one but I will go for b

5-yes

Last edited by madjoni; 12-07-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Very good answers above so not much that I could add to same. Only thing I might add is a 5wt fly rod may be on the light side for salt water fishing (fish size dependent). If you do use your equipment in salt water be sure to really clean every thing off immediately there after with lots of fresh water.

As far as accessing equipment, here's the link to the ''Mother Board" in the UK. Many very good 'Trade Members' there that can easily supply anything you may need/want. http://www.flyforums.co.uk/ If memory serves, your sign in information here should be the same thing there. I even purchase from them on a regular basis and I'm 8 time zones to the west of the UK (lots of stuff you just can't find here in the United States).

Fred
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Fatih,

There is a lot of information on YouTube about fly fishing, get on there and do searches, for example, search for "fly casting instruction". One of my favorites is by Tim Landwehr from Tight Lines Fly Fishing Co.

Also checkout the Orvis Learning Center, it has a lot of great information for the beginner to learn fly fishing.
How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis

Best of luck and keep asking questions, we will try to help the best we can.

Larry
fredaevans and leithel like this.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Need guidance

Great links Larry, great links.

fae
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Welcome Faith!...Your english is really good and you probably are a better speller than I. I am quite poor actually. There are many books about flyfishing and there will be many more written and none of them are comprehensive. I believe your choice of a 5wt is excellent. If you do have access to the salt you will find that a heavier outfit will work better for you in the salt. Larger flies and larger fish and more wind will dictate a heavier outfit. An 8 or 9 is probably the best but a 7wt with a lot of backbone would get you started.

An excellent web site for learning about casting is"Sexyloops". It gets into many aspects of casting methods with videos. You can spend many, many hours there. Enough said...

Sometimes flyfishings is by far the most productive way to fish. In some situations there are other methods that are much better. I have almost exclusively gone to flyfishing because I enjoy it.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 PM

querorz is on a distinguished road

First of all guys, i thank you all so much. I have been struggling with log in problems for like a day. So i am a little late. Sorry about that.

It is incredible to see how many members you have here, willing to help. I am telling you, in Turkish forums there are about 200 threads about Fly Fishing in total and that's all .

" itchmesir" , "madjoni" , Fred, Larry and "ditz" thank you all. I assure you that i read every post , at least twice. I watched the videos you gave me . I took a look at websites you suggested me.

Ditz, my english is not better than yours at all . I don't even know what "comprehensive" is . Haha.

I wanna move forward with my deeper questions now guys .

1- Is the only difference between dry fly fishing and wet fly fishing, the kind of fly line? Or are flies we use are different too?

2- In fly fishing do we need to give action to our fly?

3- Can i use human and cat hair(my poor cat ) to tie flies? Why is bird feather so precious in fly fishing?

4- You know, there is a product called floatant spray that you use when your dry starts to sink in the water. We don't have this spray in Turkey. I heard that olive oil can be used instead of this. How effective is this solution? Do i have to have that spray? Is it so necessary?

5- What do you think about Dam Revolution equipment? I know it is not high quality but is it all right?

Here are my options for Rod and Reel.

http://www.spotbalik.com.tr/Fly-Kamislar,LA_3485-2.html
http://www.spotbalik.com.tr/Fly-Olta...LA_2953-2.html

Last edited by querorz; 12-08-2012 at 05:07 AM.