The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Don't laugh too hard, boys !

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Your off to a good start and Jaybo is correct about backing off on the dubbing, it takes just a wisp. My early flies didn't look as good as yours!!!

Keep up the good work.

Dave
When I first started tying, this is what I struggled with the most. I'd dub up this big ole noodle of dubbing and get these ridiculous bodies. A cardinal rule of tying is "Less is more"
Old 12-08-2012, 02:03 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
I've learned a couple things about tying.

Don't throw those imperfect flies away - most fish aren't really that critical in there judgement of appearance.
Could not agree more, wabi! That's been my experience, too.

Now, when it comes to catching fishermen; well that's a different story and usually nothing short of perfect will do....

Pocono
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi Flyguy,I think you have done pretty well as they will all catch Fish,even though it's good to tie Flies which look nice,after catching a few Fish they all seem to be a little munched up,I have one fly which I retired after 11 Fish,it's a real mess.
I'm often tempted to again use it as I believe it will still catch Fish.
Brian.