The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Don't laugh too hard, boys !

Some 'nymph'ish' things I did last evening.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't laugh too hard, boys !

I like the upper left one the best.

Keep at it.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Yea, I see areas that need work..my thorax ? is mostly too wide,,and I jam too much up to the bead,,then I cant hide my thread very well. I'll show ya some more in time,,and in all seriousness,,I'm open for suggestions that can help me.

Mike
Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The top left is pretty good. I think if you reduce the amount of material and the number of wraps you use to hold them there, it would be a good start. That bottom left one would be nice with about half the materials and alot less thread. But you are off to a good start.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:13 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I've learned a couple things about tying.

Don't crowd the eye too much if your eyes aren't perfect.

Don't throw those imperfect flies away - most fish aren't really that critical in there judgement of appearance.
Pocono, rockriver and yonder like this.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your in some kind of show or competition don't sweat it! They'll work just fine! And isn't that the reason we make them to catch fish not fisherman! I'm not laughing I like em!
mrfzx likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 PM

Did another,,got the head less crowded,,but he's still a tad 'fat in the butt' yes ?

Thanks for the tips and encouragement fellas.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Did another,,got the head less crowded,,but he's still a tad 'fat in the butt' yes ?

Thanks for the tips and encouragement fellas.
I like this last one the best of all. Nothing to laugh at here, tying is a progression. Use these to fish with and if nothing else, use them to show yourself progress--which I can see from the first post to this one. I promise you it will get better if you stick with it.

It is hard to tell from this angle if there's too much junk in the trunk on this one, but here's a dubbing tip. Pull less dubbing out of the bag than you would initially think and add more as needed. You can overlap dubbing wraps and build the body that way. The head looks great on this one. Nicely done!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Good buggy looking flies. I think everyone will agree....even the ugliest flies catch fish.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

They look very nice Fly Guy.