The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking to start guiding.

Good luck, looking forward to following your adventures living the dream (here's hoping right?)!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

I think what guide services are looking for is dedication, a desire to learn more, someone who will leave clients thinking "I want to fish with that guide again and I'd recommend him to others in a heartbeat," all attributes that I think you exhibit.
For a multitude of reasons, many of us have made money the number one factor when deciding on a profession, often to the detriment of our mental well-being. I think you know what I mean and I think you are making the right choice and I applaud you for doing so.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

I think what guide services are looking for is dedication, a desire to learn more, someone who will leave clients thinking "I want to fish with that guide again and I'd recommend him to others in a heartbeat," all attributes that I think you exhibit.
For a multitude of reasons, many of us have made money the number one factor when deciding on a profession, often to the detriment of our mental well-being. I think you know what I mean and I think you are making the right choice and I applaud you for doing so.

Last edited by jsquires; 12-09-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-10-2012, 01:00 PM

double dry is on a distinguished road

Fred nailed it. However, I carry an additional million in liabilty insurance just in case. I taught school for 22 years, and guided in the summers. Went full time 7 years ago. It's a blast, and I understand I'm not going to get rich.

That being said, book sales, speaking, and other "peripheral" activities (website, blog, etc.) can bring in more cash. Be a shop rat, prove your worth, and soon enough you can build a clientele so you don't have to wait for "walk-ins".

"The only difference between a fly fishing guide and a large pizza, is a large pizza can feed a family". Don't know who coined that but it's partially true!

Enjoy the ride.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:39 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Double Dry and all the others, THANK YOU.

This is what has attracted me to the business side.

The people......I could never put a price on the friendships that have been spurred on by fly fishing.

double dry- Great advise. The effects of social media are limitless. Just look at Sage and Orvis, both do a great job of balancing entertaining and informative information. Your blog looks great!! What part of CO are you in?

jsquires- Most certainly,Mental well being was the reason for my lifestyle change. After years of juggling 90 employees and thousands of clients....feeling responsible for all of them...all led me to a rich life-stlye but unfortunately a poor life. You are right on. Thanks much!!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 PM

double dry is on a distinguished road

Waterfordcreek,

Glad you like my blog. Many have said it well, it's a lifestyle. Stress and blood pressure is down, with days in the sun, meeting folks from around the world. Been full time/full tilt 7 years and it still doesn't feel like a job.

I guide out of Deckers, Colorado, on the finicky South Platte.

Best of luck and keep in touch.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I guided for 10 years, now just have a small fly shop in the house (retired). I think the main quality of a good guide is knowing the water and area very well. I fished the Delaware 30 years before even thinking of guiding on it. you have to know the water you are guiding on, some times it takes years to learn one system...good luck on your endeavor..
mcnerney likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
Double Dry and all the others, THANK YOU.

This is what has attracted me to the business side.

The people......I could never put a price on the friendships that have been spurred on by fly fishing.

double dry- Great advise. The effects of social media are limitless. Just look at Sage and Orvis, both do a great job of balancing entertaining and informative information. Your blog looks great!! What part of CO are you in?

jsquires- Most certainly,Mental well being was the reason for my lifestyle change. After years of juggling 90 employees and thousands of clients....feeling responsible for all of them...all led me to a rich life-stlye but unfortunately a poor life. You are right on. Thanks much!!
The goal, in my opinion, is to have the last words you utter be "I have no regrets."
I hope I get to meet you and be a client of yours sometime in the future.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

If you like baby sitting adults who can't cast past oar tips than go for it.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:24 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Thats the thing billy....would love the opportunity.

Good thing our friends in our favorite shop in Towsend dont think that way.......
Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
I guided for 10 years, now just have a small fly shop in the house (retired). I think the main quality of a good guide is knowing the water and area very well. I fished the Delaware 30 years before even thinking of guiding on it. you have to know the water you are guiding on, some times it takes years to learn one system...good luck on your endeavor..
Hey Sandfly, Hell of a post! (#666 )

I know a lot of guides. One thing I have noticed that's pretty common among them is that they start to dislike fisherman at some point. The guides we have here are all gear guys and I'm pretty sure it takes less time to hit that point with their customers. In fact fly guides may have a better customer experiance overall. It only took me about three or four years of just checking their customers to kind of ruin me on them.

Second, I don't know how your state is, but here there are a lot of different rules depending on who owns the business. For example, if you work for a resort and drive the boat you need to be Coast Gaurd approved and licensed. If you own the business and the boat you need nothing. Just based on that I am not so sure I'd be all that hot on working for someone else. Nowdays you can set up a website, work a booth at the trade shows a couple times a year and stick a few ads in the right spots and probably do OK. At the going rate og what, $350 a day, how much do you need to do OK? If I decided to guide up here that's how I'd do it. Your location may make that a better or worse idea than here. Not sure. Actually I'd have to do it on my own up here. We get about uhhh, no fly fishermen a year here.

Third, you are likely not going to get rich no matter how you do it, but you may anyway. I know a few really famous fishermen and one of them and I had a very interesting talk about how much self promotion plays a role in success in fishing. We have a guy up here who fished the PWT for a long time. Finished at the top of the list every year. Kicked butt and made a lot of money in winnings. Does zero self promotion and I promise you have never heard of him. Then there is Ted Takasaki. The guy was in ads and had signiture tackle. His face was in magazines every place you looked. TV commercials and shows all over the place. After this went on for a seriously long time I heard on the radio, "Ted Takasaki wins his first tournament." I almost drove off the road. I mention this because a lot of these really famous guys rolling around in piles of money started off as guides. They were also very good self promoters. A couple of these guys stink at fishing.

Just a couple things you might want to think about.