The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Looking to start guiding.

After 18 years in the banking industry. I have decided...like some...to start guiding.

I know....and i am not looking to get rich either......

Looking for info on the guide-shop relationship.

On a typical trip.....what % does the guide make from the initial booking?

Ex. If total trip is $325...typically how much of that does the shop retain?

Should i look to get my own licensing and insurance...to be less of a burden on the shops??

Any info would greatly help.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking to start guiding.

I really don't know; but, I'm betting that it's a hard area to break into. I've met countless outsiders up here over the last 40 years asking where the good deer areas were in hunting season and the same in fishing season. It takes years to know an area, and to be able to produce for a client. I'm not about to give up either or take someone there that isn't a friend. A guide works hard for the money they make.
imxer and Hardyreels like this.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM

lacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of light

It doesn't answer your shop relationship questions, but Taylor Streit has a chapter addressed to guides in his book "Instinctive Fly Fishing" (the book, in my opinion, is a worthwhile read for anyone interested in fly fishing). He runs a guide school as well. I have no relationship with Taylor except for admiration for his writing and career. Might be worth a gander.

Bob
Old 12-07-2012, 10:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
After 18 years in the banking industry. I have decided...like some...to start guiding.

I know....and i am not looking to get rich either......

You won't, just trust me on that one. After you 'price out' the cost of the boat, equipment, lic., etc., you need you're in big bucks and haven't earned a dime.

For the typical Guide, this is how you get your clients until you've been in the business for many years. Then 'you' get call backs.

Depends, but at the low end 1/3'rd; at the high end 1/2 from what I've been told.

See above, where you make 'your money' is the Client 'tips.'

Should i look to get my own licensing and insurance...to be less of a burden on the shops??

Depends. If you are an employee of the 'shop' they normally cover you. If you're an 'Independent Contractor' you're on your own.

Any info would greatly help.
Hope some of the above helps. Guiding is a life style, not a way to make a good living.

Just my .02 cents.

fae
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

It is always helpful to know where a person is living (State etc.) when even trying to give suggestions.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard
caseywise and trout trekker like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The percentages vary so much there's no real way to give a solid number. It hinges on your experiance, what you bring to the game, as you said the insurance, do you have a drift boat can you row a drift boat do you even need a drift boat. There are really alot of variable unless you get picked up by a lodge where they offer all inclusive deals for the client then you get housing and a salary. I know guys who've ended up in debt to the shops they worked for over flies and tippets, broken rods you name it. In my opinion try getting set up with a lodge/outfitter or go it solo and do it yourself and make a good name and then try for shop gigs.
Hardyreels and caseywise like this.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:29 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

If you're going to be asking shops to refer their most valuable asset to you ( their customers ) you need to be 100% committed.

Depends on the prevailing rate, what they are providing vs. what you are providing ( lic, permits, boat, food, shuttle, fuel, trans, etc ), your negotiating ability and of course experience & skill set.

There is no set business model for guiding, ( These are often one on one personal & private negotiations with another business owner ) there are simply to many variables, too many types of fishing, regions, equipment, associated costs etc to answer with any degree of accuracy that would apply without knowing more… a lot more.

Sure you could get a few answers from those of us who’ve been on both sides of the booking process, but the likelihood of that applying to your situation……..?

"to be less of a burden on the shops??"
That's not a phrase that I'd suggest repeating in any form when soliciting a shop owner or discussing becoming a guide.

It normally doesn't stop there. You'll likely come under the jurisdiction of some other fed/state/ local agencies too that will require permits, licenses ( BLM, Parks, Forest Service, Coast Gaurd, etc, etc. ) and probably a surety bond.
Then there are those pesky municipal business licenses, etc.
Are first aid/life saving/CPR courses required in your region?

There are guide schools scattered about the country and the FFF certified casting instructors program to help bolster ones skills and resume.

With respect, TT
Old 12-08-2012, 04:16 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

WOW..Thank you for the great responses.

Im sorry. I should have been a little clearer

As far as commitment...I think i have that taken care of. I have dedicated the last 3 years learning everything i can about the fly fishing industry, on the business side. Marketing, manufacturing, merchandizing, inventory control...the list is endless.

I have also been able to dedicate 250 days a year on the stream. Mostly in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and TN tailwaters. I am currently in Gatlinburg TN. Will be moving to Breckenridge CO to be closer to family.

As far as bookings. I feel i can take care of that.

I think i have earned the respect of area guides. They seem to go out of there way a little....to find out how i was doing..asked where i have fished lately....lol.

I have planned to get certified in CO for rowing trips. I think the education for the cost cant be spared...Even though i see myself doing walk and wade. I love technical small streams.

Great advise about the fly casting instruction. Currently getting my CPR and wilderness survival training taken acre of. That is also on the list.

As far as the money goes....i have prepared for that.

Again, i really appreciate the feedback. I have found my new online home...

I also haven't mentioned i LOVE to teach the sport. There is nothing like instructing someone new. Then having them land a beautiful wild brookie.....priceless
Old 12-08-2012, 04:40 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

As mentioned,I imagine it's a hard game to go into even will your knowledge of people.
A Guy,A Former Giude whom I bought some gear from a few years back who worked out of Montana for one of The Biggest Outfitters & Guiding Services told me he quite & found a Real Job,he said he still Fishes with many of his Former Clients.
Brian.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm more than glad to hear that you are enjoying the forum.

As for your plans it seems that you have everything already sorted out quite well. I wish you well at your new vocation,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;