The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 PM

cpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nice
Default Re: Fishing in the rain is GREAT!!!!

Sounds like a great trip. Weather always is good on work days and lousy on vacation days. You just gotta go anyway.

Nothing wrong with wearing a PFD. I swim quite well, but wear one on big fast water and when fishing reservoirs. If you do lose your footing, it may keep the panic at bay until you can make your way safely to shore. That way you can focus on rock dodging. Even two or three feet of fast water can be very hard to get your feet back under you.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I am glad you got out there in the rain....an 18 inch rainbow, whether landed or not is a good fish in anybody's book.....just be careful and watch the rise of the water!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 12-08-2012, 09:24 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Bus that's a great story! Part of the experience is falling on your......
I usually lie about that when nobody's looking but get nailed when they see me hobbling back to the car. Glad you had some wet weather action!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
I am glad you got out there in the rain....an 18 inch rainbow, whether landed or not is a good fish in anybody's book.....just be careful and watch the rise of the water!!
I almost lot that rainbow because I almost dropped my rod and run away. I am glad I don't have a bad ticker. I was still shaking as I took the hook out of its mouth. Is it normal to be embarrassed when you catch a fish?

Plus the other one wasn't much to speak of...

The biggest lesson was the rise of the water. It did seem to happen quickly. I should have known better but I just had to cross the stream at one point because there looked to be a good hole on the other side. Current was really swift but I managed to get there. It wasn't too deep, maybe a foot and a half. I messed around over there for about 30 minutes, up and down the stream and crossed back over at a different point. It was a point that I was thinking about crossing earlier but once I got halfway over, things were different. The water seemed a lot higher, not so much faster but certainly higher. I was stepping into water that was going up to my chest all of a sudden. It wasn't that way just 30 minutes before.

I think I am going to try to not cross a high stream ever. Scared me much more than that fish in the face.

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Bus that's a great story! Part of the experience is falling on your......
I usually lie about that when nobody's looking but get nailed when they see me hobbling back to the car. Glad you had some wet weather action!

uh-oh. So since nobody was there to see it, I broke a cardinal rule by saying I bit it? Luckily there were rocks and such between me and the stream, so I didn't take a dunk.
theboz likes this.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:38 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Bus,
Some of my best fishing has been done in the rain. Having said that it can also be a bit dangerous.
-Watch out for thunder/lighting...they like graphite
-In deep fast water I wear two wading belts. One around the waist like I normally do and another a bit higher and with a quick cinch that works with one hand. I keep that a little loose but snug. With 2 belts I can safely assure that water does not get to the bottom of my waders and…drag me under. When I gotta move in cloudy water I snug it down a bit more.
-I also have one of those belt on inflatable life preservers you can get from Cabalas for <$100. I think they were/are on sale for $69. You still have to put it over you head ...but I got one if I need to use it.
-I also question myself about the conditions of the water if I have to use this devise. Keeps me honest. And I consider myself an excellent swimmer.
-Yes the wading stick is ALWAYS with me.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:22 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
I almost lot that rainbow because I almost dropped my rod and run away. I am glad I don't have a bad ticker. I was still shaking as I took the hook out of its mouth. Is it normal to be embarrassed when you catch a fish?

Plus the other one wasn't much to speak of...

The biggest lesson was the rise of the water. It did seem to happen quickly. I should have known better but I just had to cross the stream at one point because there looked to be a good hole on the other side. Current was really swift but I managed to get there. It wasn't too deep, maybe a foot and a half. I messed around over there for about 30 minutes, up and down the stream and crossed back over at a different point. It was a point that I was thinking about crossing earlier but once I got halfway over, things were different. The water seemed a lot higher, not so much faster but certainly higher. I was stepping into water that was going up to my chest all of a sudden. It wasn't that way just 30 minutes before.

I think I am going to try to not cross a high stream ever. Scared me much more than that fish in the face.

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

uh-oh. So since nobody was there to see it, I broke a cardinal rule by saying I bit it? Luckily there were rocks and such between me and the stream, so I didn't take a dunk.

I mentioned the rise of the water, mainly because my son is a fireman, EMT, water rescue tech, etc.... whenever I go fishing, I have a standing order, to text him my location. He is also a flyfisherman and knows where I fish...we also know the cellphone texting capabilities of each location...If I am ever in trouble, I know that he will be there to bail out the old man...he knows the danger of high water and I respect his knowledge and experience..so be safe out there...It's a good thing to know that your son can put a rescue helicopter over the head of old fool, if need be....God bless all of our volunteers, who do this for all of us!!! So I guess what I am trying to say with much rambling is.......fishing in the rain is most productive, but know when to get out of the water, instead of gambling on your personal limitations.......OK???

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton