The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 10:55 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Fishing in the rain is GREAT!!!!

I am glad you guys told me to get out there and fish. You all were absolutely correct: it is wonderful fishing in the rain!!! I honestly did not know it was even raining even thought it rained the entire time I was there. I only lost six or seven flies but that is prior to the course, from what I understand.

It rained the entire day, from the moment I got up to well into the night. It must have rained a lot more where I was fishing because the water was much, much higher and a lot faster than it was the other time I was there with the old guy. The pools we had fished in were vastly different this time. There were very spots where the water wasn’t moving. The water wasn’t nearly as clear as it was last time either, so I chose to use streamers. (I have no clue if that that was the thing to do or not.)

I caught only two fish…well, I hauled in only one fish but I DID have another hooked. I never knew this could happen but it was a brown trout (I saw it) and it did several maneuvers in and thru rocks and trees limbs and it cut my tippet. Darn was I mad but it was sort of funny, too.

Another time, I got my 2,167th snag of the day and didn’t feel like tying another streamer on because this was the first cast with the one I had just put on. So I reeled in the line and walked toward the snag. I reached down in the water to give it a gentle tug when, all of a sudden, this white and gray and pink thing FLEW into my face. I actually let out a yelp and started to run away because it scared the bejeebers outta me. It was the very first rainbow trout I had ever caught and it was a good 18-inches long. This was one of those times in my life where I wished somebody was there to see what I did but very glad nobody was there to see a fisherman get scared of a fish he caught…know what I mean?

Anyways, it was a grand day. I stayed there for four hours or so but, since I had already gotten lost on the way down and it started to get really dark around 3:00, I figured I had better leave even though I wanted to stay there for another four hours.

Here are some of the things I learned:
  • Really watch where you put your foot when starting down a muddy, slippery bank. The initial landing can be pretty hard on a 52-year-old arse and even his teeth!!
  • Really, REALLY be mindful of fast water. I didn’t originally bring the collapsible wading stick my wife got for me and I took a few wrongs steps and got into water that was WAY too high and WAY too fast. I tripped over rocks and limbs and it took what seemed like forever to walk the 15 feet to the safety of the bank. I ran, not walked, back to the car to get it. I used it the rest of the day and worked hard to not step anywhere “bad”
  • Casting with wind is hard. That said, I also discovered that you need to RELAX to cast. I was muscling it for most of the day and, once I got tired, I started doing better.
  • Finally, don’t think that every snag is a snag. Sometimes there is a fish on the other end.

I actually think I had a better time in the rain. It was somehow quieter. Maybe it was better because it was different. And it was only me there—well, me and about 6 or 7 bear hunters but they parked their trucks and wandered into the woods.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: Fishing in the rain is GREAT!!!!

Quote:
Really watch where you put your foot when starting down a muddy, slippery bank. The initial landing can be pretty hard on a 52-year-old arse and even his teeth!!
I think I mentioned that in my post on the other thread.
Luckily I learned from watching, not experience. Went fishing with my dad on a rainy day. Steep bank with a trail (no vegetation) to the creek. He took one tentative step at the top of the bank and a split second later he was standing chest deep in water with mud still oozing out the collar of his jacket.
mcnerney, Guest1, jaybo41 and 2 others like this.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
Luckily I learned from watching, not experience. Went fishing with my dad on a rainy day. Steep bank with a trail (no vegetation) to the creek. He took one tentative step at the top of the bank and a split second later he was standing chest deep in water with mud still oozing out the collar of his jacket.
You did say that I'm pretty sure. That chest deep/oozing mud part must have been hard not to laugh. Did you at least kodak moment the occasion for use at family gatherings?
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
Yes, you warned me.

I wasn't paying attention and, like you said, split second later, I was someplace different than I was. Didn't get all that muddy but, man, my backside is still a little tender.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ray

Despite the rain and the challenges of wading it sounds like you had a great time. That rainbow kind of reminded me of a couple times while fishing for red salmon in AK when my rig would just stop mid-drift and I would assume that I was hung on the bottom, only to find out after tugging on the line trying to break it off that I was actually hooked into a huge King salmon that now decides to head south at break neck speed.....of course there is no chance of landing a fish like that while wading on the Kenai River battling both the fish and the current.

Larry
jaybo41, busbus and yonder like this.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:21 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Bus,

Thanks for the follow up post. I've enjoyed reading your posts and watching your progression and experiences with fly fishing. Good stuff!

Great observations! Casting doesn't need to be muscled, it's all about timing. I am guilty of this at times, but find when I think about it and get into the groove, my casting is much improved.

As you found, fishing in the rain can be very rewarding. It can also amount to nothing more than taking a fly rod for a walk and testing out the water repellant material of your jacket and waders. Nice to see that you had a productive day, not only with the fishing but learning.

One more thing that is important along the lines of your wading staff-- Wading belt. Make sure, especially when it rains and you are wading, you've got one on. Its a safety thing. There are certainly cases where it is overkill, but a good habit to wear it none the less.
yonder likes this.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:11 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Fishing and bow hunting in the rain is great.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Bus,

Thanks for the follow up post. I've enjoyed reading your posts and watching your progression and experiences with fly fishing. Good stuff!

Great observations! Casting doesn't need to be muscled, it's all about timing. I am guilty of this at times, but find when I think about it and get into the groove, my casting is much improved.

As you found, fishing in the rain can be very rewarding. It can also amount to nothing more than taking a fly rod for a walk and testing out the water repellant material of your jacket and waders. Nice to see that you had a productive day, not only with the fishing but learning.

One more thing that is important along the lines of your wading staff-- Wading belt. Make sure, especially when it rains and you are wading, you've got one on. Its a safety thing. There are certainly cases where it is overkill, but a good habit to wear it none the less.

Jay,

I had my wading belt on. How tight do you make it? Does it matter where you on the waist you strap it? And what exactly does it do? Just keep the water out if you take a dunk?

I don't think anything would have kept water out where I almost tanked. I took a few steps and found myself smack, dab in the middle of the rushing stream. tried to go left, then right, then looked upstream and downstream to see how the heck I could get out of the predicament I found myself in.

It seriously took me a long time to navigate to the shore. Seemed like every time I took a step, the water got too darn deep and I had to back up. Scared the living daylights out of me. Banged my shins against a ton of rocks, too.

Is this a bad time to say I don't know how to swim and I am scared to death of the water? Seems like a strange hobby to want take up but I figured a good swimmer would have had a really tough time where I was stuck.

I used that wading stick religiously the rest of the day--even when I probably didn't need it. I am now trying to get into the habit of simply using it all the time. It did help me keep my balance a lot.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

That's a great story, thanks. Keep your feet headed downstream- that way when you run into something it's with your feet instead of your head- and work your way to shore. Your wader belt keeps the air in, floating you, and the water out.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:45 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Bus,

I generally wear my wading belt so it fits comfortably yet snug. The idea is that it will keep your boots from filling up with water should you go down. Now keep in mind there are variables involved here and you are likely to take on some--at least down to your wast. Also, if you are deep in the water, you can bend your knees and this will push some air into the bottom half of the boots.

Most of the streams we would fish here in PA this is a non factor, but there are some big ones that are treacherous when the water is at normal flows, let alone high water. Keep this in mind too, depending on where you are fishing during the rain, the water can come up fast. Seemingly out of the blue at times. Keep that in mind because at some point you're going to need to cross the stream if you're on the other side to get back to your car.

Sometimes you might be better off tossing in from the bank. Often when the water is higher, that's just where the fish might be.

Last thing, streamers are aways a good choice in higher than normal flows. San Juan worms aren't a bad choice to fish either because if you look at the ground when it's saturated, you'll see lots of worms.