The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Weight Versus Casting Distance

Just going back into old memory there are three basic things that 'govern' the length of a cast (I'll leave the fly out of this).

Rod length = longer the tip travel = higher generated line speed. Level hand on both the forward and back cast = level to the ground/water, not a 'cup shaped' rod tip travel.

And the last is the configuration of the line = DT vs a WF.

All single hander lines just take into account the first 30 feet for 'grain count' so a DT actually gets heavier as you get more line out the rod tip. A WF 'usually' won't but the thinner shooting line goes through the guides easier (thinner line profile).

All of that then flows to the ability of the caster.

fae
Old 12-09-2012, 08:09 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I fish mostly from shore and I most often find the cast distance limiting factor to be the terrain behind me. Usually the line hitting the ground on the back cast (or inability to even make a back cast, so I'm limited to a roll cast) is the reason casts have to be kept short.
Also weather conditions can be a factor as a gust of wind can easily change the direction of a light line.
I use rods from 6'6" to 11' but my favorites are in the 7'6" to 8'6" range. The 7'6" is usually enough to make casts that will cover the waters I fish and stepping up to 8' or 8'6" doesn't make for much of a casting distance increase, but isn't a handicap (as far as keeping the rod tip out of tree limbs) either.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I am then to assume that a 1 wt and 7 wt will cast the same distance, all else being equal.

Dave
Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I am then to assume that a 1 wt and 7 wt will cast the same distance, all else being equal.

Dave
Strongly doubt it; the extra grains in the 7wt will/should make it go further. Just for visual purposes, you've got a bait casting rod and a one oz sinker for a weight, then you shift 7 oz ...... I think you get the picture as to which will go further.

fae
Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

David, I can cast my F&F 60'+ easy. That's with my eyes closed and using Sharkskin ( favorite line). And I'm a crappy caster. Just get used to the action.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Mojo...

How far would you expect to cast a F and F 1wt? 7' 9'

Dave
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 AM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Been cruising thru the Search feature and having trouble finding what I'm looking for. Thinking about picking up a ultra-light in the 7' length range and don't have a local fly shop with enough variety to do any testing. So to help shorten the search time was wondering if anyone can give some guidance on approximate casting distance for each of the ultra-light sizes.

Casting distance measured from your big toe...

Dave
Mt two cents are; 1. there are too many variables to answer your question. 2. tip flexs will throw the same fly/line further than full flexes will. 3. rod quality,taper and recovery speed all add into the equation. If you want to bomb cats across a stream use a fast action six weight, many to choose from, buy used and get your moneys worth. If you want to throw further, go to a switch of spey set up, 95 - 100 ft cats are the, yawn, norm its the only way to fish in my book.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
No way! Wind resistance is the main uncontrolable enemy of fly casts with identical loop and initial (edit) velocities.

What determines wind resistance is surface area by the formula pie times diameter.

The operative formula for weight is pie are square, even though cornbread are square and pie are round.

So volume, and consequently weight, increase much faster in larger diameter lines than the surface area subject to wind resistance.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dave
Not even close. The heavier the rod, all else being equal, the farther the distance. The longer the rod, all else being equal, the farther the distance. Why do you think I want a 20 foot 11wt.?

P.S. I don't even own a rod smaller than 9' 5 wt.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:00 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

On the light end of things - have a 1 wt 6' rod and a 7'6" 2 wt rod.

With the 1 wt, using 2 wt line, I can cast 50-60 ft assuming the wind cooperates.

I say I 'can' cast that far, but I almost never do. The streams I use this rod on are smaller, so I rarely use more than 30-40 ft., usually less.