The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rod Weight Versus Casting Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I am then to assume that a 1 wt and 7 wt will cast the same distance, all else being equal.

Dave
If you are casting them the same distance you would be a S#%$Y caster.

As a self proclaimed casterbaiter, I really don't get your question. I love to throw a rod as far as possible, but I do not buy a 3wt or a 1wt for distance. They are better used on small streams and at close distances. 99% of your work with a small rod will be done within 35' feet. Enjoy each rod for what it offers you. Do not try to turn a 1 wt into a 6wt streamer rod. They are different tools for diferrent jobs. It's like using an8" crescent wrench as a hammer. Yeah with enough effort you might be able to get the job done, but at what effort and price?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
It's like using an 8" crescent wrench as a hammer.
Now wait a sec. What is hammer thing, and why are you insulting my wrench?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I have never compared my "UL" rods for distance on the same day under the same conditions to really see if and what difference there is in distance. I have a few 3wt rods from 6'6" to 8'6" and one of them (a glass 6'6") even casts a wf1f line well. I'd guess the longer faster rods would give a bit more distance.

Now as far as rod/line weight, I can say on a day when my 7'6" 3wt med action rod was unable to get the line barely past my big toe into a very stiff wind I was able to get almost the entire line out (90' or so) with my 11' two hand rod and a wf11f Sharkskin saltwater taper line.

Last edited by wabi; 12-09-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
On the light end of things, with the 1 wt, using 2 wt line, I can cast 50-60 ft assuming the wind cooperates..
We have a winner...:

Haven't been any wrong answers on here and many were informative if not downright intelligent!!!! Just looking for a few measurements as guidelines to make sure I didn't fall short of the slippery sirens I have intentions for.

Dave
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Lets think about some things. First, lets assume the rod and line are matched. Then a longer rod will cast farther than a shorter rod. A sinking line of the same weight as a floating line will cast farther. A floating line of any weight should cast the same distance.
Why? Because of the density of the line and the resistance of the air.
A 7wt sinking line will be more dense than a 7wt floating line and thus will have less air resistance because of the smaller diameter (presumably also less resistance from the guides also). A 1wt floating line, if it has the same density as a 7wt floating line (both float, right?), should cast approximately the same distance (different weight, but different diameters also) or maybe farther if you consider the decreased resistance from the guides.
It all goes back to Galileo and that leaning tower!
If you are casting into a wind, though, I will take the 7wt!! Why? I don't know. It just casts better.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:44 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Dean: Typically, how far would you expect yourself to cast a 1 wt and then again a 3 wt?
Well Dave, I have 2, 4, 6wt rods. Personally, I feel like a 1wt is a true novelty rod, something for small fish, and that a 3wt would be the perfect rod for dry fly fishing in mid-summer when you have to find cold water in small streams. It would also handle single nymph fishing fine.

But back to the casting question, and again you're not going to like my answer. I have never taken my 2wt and tried to air out as much line as possible. I've only ever taken it fishing, and it is a dream to cast between 15-25'. I think I could cast 40' pretty easily if I wanted to, maybe more, with no wind of course. I know I can get 60'+ out of my 4wt, but unless conditions are perfect, dropping the fly with 24" of the target at that distance would be a challenge for me.

I've never gone to the park with a 100' tape and measured my casts. Maybe I should, but when I'm fishing, I know what I can reach and what I can't whether I know the actual distance or not.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
Lets think about some things. First, lets assume the rod and line are matched. Then a longer rod will cast farther than a shorter rod. A sinking line of the same weight as a floating line will cast farther. A floating line of any weight should cast the same distance.
Why? Because of the density of the line and the resistance of the air.
A 7wt sinking line will be more dense than a 7wt floating line and thus will have less air resistance because of the smaller diameter (presumably also less resistance from the guides also). A 1wt floating line, if it has the same density as a 7wt floating line (both float, right?), should cast approximately the same distance (different weight, but different diameters also) or maybe farther if you consider the decreased resistance from the guides.
It all goes back to Galileo and that leaning tower!
If you are casting into a wind, though, I will take the 7wt!! Why? I don't know. It just casts better.
Only if casting in a vacumn. In which case you'd have be fishing something weighted as there would no dry flies on the water.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:00 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

With my 2wt with 2wt wf line,,, some wheres between 50 and 60 feet,,if conditions are perfect and the cast is perfect and I'm really really in good standing with the Gods of Casting that day. 40 to 45 ft is more the consistent reality of what I do with it. But I never use it for even that,,this is my small creek rod.

With my 5wt BVK,,,5wt Orvis Hydros wf line.,,,,,I can hit the 70ft mark in the back yard,,and longer than that I'd feel It'd be iffy hooking a fish ? might not,,I just think it might. I don't see need of longer than that,,even over on the small lakes I fish. I might have even exceeded the 70' mark fishing on the lake,,,maybe not. I do feel that there is extra animal to be let out on the BVK,,,a really good distance caster prob could probably cast the fly line off the rod.

Might be the hunter in me, but I take personal enjoyment in how 'short of a distance' I can catch a fish. I'm a very odd person I suppose.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

These answers are causing me to think above my natural ability...Great stuff men!

Dave
Old 12-09-2012, 02:04 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The Fiberglass Manifesto: Mike McFarland Wins The Hardy Cup Its not the rod but the guy behind it. If you are a competent caster with your 5 7 or whatever weight than you should be able to reach out with any rod (generally speaking). Though even if I could hit 75' with a 1wt why the hell would I want to? Its not a fishing cast.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:57 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Though even if I could hit 75' with a 1wt why the hell would I want to? Its not a fishing cast.
You're right. I almost never see anything past 30-40 feet.
However, I've found myself a couple times where small brooks/streams empty into larger ones. Rather than trek back to the truck and switch rods, I've kept fishing with the little rod.

I was throwing 50-ish ft casts with it because I had to. It turned out to be fun, and I kept using it for a couple hours. The breeze made things a little imprecise, but it was still fun and I caught a lot of fish.

(Full disclosure here: This rod is labelled 2wt (St Croix Imperial), but I've tested it about six times and it always measures between 1.05 and 1.12.)