The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default How long does beginner's luck last?

I have been thinking about that rainbow I caught the other day. I think I still need to learn how to read water—like really bad. Here is why: I cast upstream, sort of where the water was really rolling over some rocks, to the point that there was some white water and foam. My thought was to have the streamer seem like it got caught up in that mess and was pushed downstream. I anticipated it to sort of “right” itself in the smallish pool about 20 feet downstream. Now, there was a section of fairly shallow water in this stretch but it was rolling along really fast there. To be honest, the water seemed like it was actually less than a foot deep in a short section. That was when I saw my streamer hitting all sorts of stuff at the bottom of the stream. It must have fallen into some rocks because I lost sight of it and it got hung up there. That was when I figured I got yet another snag. I pulled and yanked and did all I could to free it but I couldn’t. That was when I went over to try to pull it out and that rainbow jumped up into my face.

After all that, here is the question: I thought there wouldn’t be any fish in that area, which was another reason it scared the he__ out of me when I caught that fish. I was always under the impression that fish don’t necessarily stay in fast running water but would rather sit in the mouth of a pool right where the fast water spills into it. I would always pass up these sorts of spots and focus on pools or the water behind a large rock or fallen tree, where the water flows around the obstacle and slows a little. I never thought a fish, especially a huge one, would be hiding in such a shallow area with the water flowing as fast as it was there. Is it a good practice to try to get your fly to flow into as many crooks and crevices as there are around you? Do you do this all the time or are there times when you just “know” that it would be futile?

And am I approaching this correctly? Casting a streamer upstream, let it flow past me and under my rod, then float downstream, and, finally, yank it back toward me a little? Or was what happened serious beginner’s dumb luck? If so, it has happened a couple times thus far since I caught a huge small mouth a little while ago using the same technique. Well, it was a little different with the bass because I saw that there was a really deep pool and a rock shelf under me. All this is new to me because, prior to this summer, all I ever did was throw a worm on a hook and bobber out. This spring and summer, I started using crank baits and my fishing improved a lot. Now that I finally decided to put my fears behind me about actually fly fishing, my results have improved even more, having caught the two biggest fish I have ever caught or even seen in person. Even though it seems that everything is working out, I want to make sure I am doing this right because beginner’s luck doesn’t last forever.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How long does beginner's luck last?

Beginners luck when you want it to. Your doing fine, learn from your mistakes and dont repeat them. Just remember keeping a tight line while nymphing.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

fish are always in the fast water.. nymphs make their home under rocks.. and swift turbulent water is constantly knocking these little guys off and the trout sit in there and feed on them.. I've caught trout in runs that were bout 6" deep.. even in the dead of winter when others believe fishing the riffles is pointless.. i still fish them more than the slow water overall.. and rarely am i disappointed

What you are doing when you let the fly go past you and down stream is called the "swing" basically.. you're swinging the fly downstream and then you strip it back upstream... but like slinger said.. make sure you keep your line tight.. otherwise you'll miss hits constantly.. swinging the fly after a drift is a very good way to thoroughly cover a section of stream.. usually at the end of the swing setting the hook can entice trout to take your fly because it looks like the fly is trying to escape and trout will act quickly to eat it before it does.. it'll also load your rod for your next forward cast
Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Yeah, I feel that I've had beginners luck...well, somewhat anyway .

I still cast a fly right onto a branch sometimes though....then it wraps around like 20 times as I watch it.

As a fella says - experience just allows me to kind of smile while I watch the fly wrap around the branch the next time it happens .

Like this goofy video, mid way through when it gets to the "lure casting" bit. Good stuff. --

video - right at 5 minutes.
busbus likes this.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:54 PM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about

Two things;
1. If you're catching fish, you're doing it right.
2. I've been a beginner for over 50 years, and I've yet to experience the luck part.

I would suggest that you also fish the foam lines between the fast water and the slow water. Fish are like whitetail deer. They are creatures of the edges. Anywhere that one type of habitat borders another is a good place to prospect. Drop-offs/Flats, Open Water/Weed Edges, Sunny Water/Shaded Water. All good places to prospect. Same thing goes for lakes and ponds, but you can add the thermocline to the formula. That would be the depth where the water temperature changes the fastest. Warm Water/Cold Water or Cold Water/Coldest Water. The thermocline is where oxygen levels are optimum for the fish, so it's a great place in the water column to prospect.
I hope this helps.

Last edited by lotech_joe; 12-10-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:01 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
fish are always in the fast water.. nymphs make their home under rocks.. and swift turbulent water is constantly knocking these little guys off and the trout sit in there and feed on them.. I've caught trout in runs that were bout 6" deep.
Well, there ya go. I have been avoiding fast, shallow water. I was under the (false) impression that trout were lazy and waited for food to come to them as they lazily hung out in the calmer water.

Arrgghh!! I hope I get all of this straight before old-age dementia sets in.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

turbineblade,

I watch my fly get twisted around stuff all the time. I have a bad habit of yanking my line too quickly whenever I feel as though it is hung up and the fly comes shooting out of the water and wraps in a branch above your head. I lost six or seven flies the other day and all but two were because I wrapped them around trees. I also wasted a lot of time untangling bird's nests that resulted from the wrapping.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Also surface speed and sub surface speed of the water can be two completely different things.. on the surface the water can look fast... but at the bottom it can be quite slower...

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

PS: this may help you and other beginners out...

The LL Bean Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing PDF
Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Moving water? What's that .

(I mostly fish either still, or very slightly moving water -- actually moving water is really a lot more challenging to fish to me.)
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

50 years and counting
mcnerney, lightline and lacanadio like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Dunbar is a very heavily fished stream Bus. Also very heavily poached. There aren't many "deep" places in it. If you noticed a rifle range area, you will see a parking area across the road from there. Park there. Walk up the road maybe 100 feet. You will see a path taking you down to the stream. There's a narrow run there(about 20 feet wide). Fish from there up! When I fish there, I stay low and wear a camo shirt and hat. Never used streamers or nymphs there myself. Just Adams and ants. Then again, when I trout fish I'm a dry fly addict