The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 10:15 AM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road
Default Wet Vs. Dry

I was discussing fly fishing with a non-flyfishing co-worker the other day, and he mentioned two friends (one strictly dry fly and one strictly wet fly) that would continuously butt heads over which method works best. Now, in my opinion, dry fly is more fun, but nymphing is where you pick up the Hawgs. I am curious, are you dedicated to only one or the other?

-For sake of simplicity, anything fished on the surface is dry, anything subsurface is wet.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:30 AM

doc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wet Vs. Dry

I spend about 95% of my time fishing sub-surface but when the trout are keying in on surface bugs, I'll get the dry flies out as it's a lot more fun watching the take. Not sure exactly what the % of fish that feed below the surface is as apposed to on the surface as I've read many articles stating different numbers but from what I've read so far, the number falls between 85% - 95%. In any event, trout feed a hell of a lot more under the surface than they do on top.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 01-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Chris,

I have to say most of the time that I fish dry flies is when I use a big old dry fly with a dropper nymph. Most of the time I will catch the fish on the nymph. Now if there are hoppers on the water I will use a hooper imitations or a Stimulator with no dropper. What it comes down to is what are the fish feeding on. If the fish are surface feeding and it is obvious, I would try to match the hatch. It doesn't make sense to fish sub-surface when the fish are slurping flies all around you. I do have to say that I find sub-surface the most productive.

Frank
Old 01-12-2008, 10:41 AM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road

I agree, if the fish are rising then I will switch over, it is a lot more fun watchin the fish hit on the top. However, it seems I spend much more time nymphing do to fact that I like fishing in the colder months.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:38 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

I think if you want fly fish, and you want to catch something, you will fish the flies that are the most effective for the situation. If catching isn't as important to you as the method employed, then you'll fish the way you most enjoy and take pleasure in whatever results you have. And that's OK too.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I stick with subsurface stuff most of the time, but will gladly fish dries when I'm sure they'll work.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:59 AM

FlyChick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
I think if you want fly fish, and you want to catch something, you will fish the flies that are the most effective for the situation. If catching isn't as important to you as the method employed, then you'll fish the way you most enjoy and take pleasure in whatever results you have. And that's OK too.
That's a ncie way to put it. I always go for dry flies first, but if nothing's biting, and I know they're in there then once I learn the water I'll throw some nymphs in and see what happens. that's just me, though, I'm far from experienced!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:23 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I very rarely fish dry flys, I fish nymphs and streamers about 50/50, and closer to 20/80 in favor of streamers in wintertime, only when water dictates that i am forced to fish something other than a streamer do i change. I find that when the water temp is colder its harder to get the fish to move, unless they consider it worth there while, so in a montana winter i just throw big stuff. However i have noticed a trend, i catch less fish. I went out fishing sometime in december when it was warmer on the beartrap canyon on the madison river with a buddy, he was using smaller stuff, and he did catch over twice as many fish as me. But i ended up catching the largest couple fish on the day, and i still did well.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

on trout i will fish the hatch---nymphs then emergers then dries (duns or spinners)

if nothing is predicted to happen while im on the water , i will use a heavy olive zonker or a augmented muddler that i tie and fish the deadfalls and holes

On steelhead its either a heavy streamer or a prince beadhead nymph or sucker spawn pattern
Old 01-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Wet fly fishing, being more the TRADITIONAL form is great. I don't limit myself to any one form, however. I fish DRIES, I fish NYMPHS, and I fish WETS (wets being more a soft hackle)
I do find wet flies are the most productive though. Even with fish rising.

Like the rest of you, I will put on a dry and then put a dropper of a Nymph, or Emerger, Or a pupa, But, sometimes just sticking a wet fly on (like a wet royal coachman or even a small softhackle) I will find fish in spots that I thought were fished out.

There is truely four forms here.
1. Dry
2. Wets
3. Nymphs
4. Streamers

And I guess I am a Jack of All Trades and a Master of None, so I keep practicing....WAHOO!
Joni