The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2wt versus 5wt

Here is the scenario, fishing a brush choked stream with fish 6" to 16" in length, some swift/some slow water. I have two rods, 2wt & 5wt both less than 8' long and lets assume I am a proficient caster and will be casting less than 30 feet. Which rod do you fish with and why?

Dave
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2wt versus 5wt

Depends on what you will be fishing.. the 5wt will throw streamers and heavy nymphs easier.. you say the water is swift.. the 5wt may be the option to get heavy flies in there so they get down fast... 2wt will probably work better if you are casting small dries during a hatch...

The problem we have here is you haven't told us what type of 2wt and 5wt you have.. if its a medium action 5wt.. you will have no problems casting dries either.. it'll probably be your better option for multiple purpose fly fishng.. while your 2wt really limits you to small nymphs.. wets and dries..
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to say without knowing a few more things like stream fertility and gradient.
imxer and mcnerney like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Neither.
I'm thinking a 7'or 8' medium/medium fast action 4wt that can handle smaller streamers, nymph rigs, soft hackles on the swing, or dries.

If I have to choose one of the two weights your asking about, I'd go with the 5.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If I plan to fish dries, likely catching more of the smaller fish I'd go 2wt. As said before, if I think I'll be casting weighted nymphs, indicators, larger dries, or swinging streamers and aiming for larger fish I'd go 5wt. The heavier rod might be nice to keep fish out of snags if it's a brushy stream.
mcnerney and noreaster like this.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Based only on what you have mentioned the 5wt without question. My logic is: while it may be less desirable in some circumstances the 5wt can likely do everything the 2 can and then some. Take a furled leader if you want to throw dries and are worried about presentation of the thicker line.

Other information such as what has been mentioned might make me have a different opinion.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I'm tempted to say the 2 wt. cuz I like pushing the limits of gear. Some quality rods 5 wt's are lighter and stronger and faster, If your 5 wt is like this then go with the 5. If it's an older 5wt with bulk. I might go with the 2 wt.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Good replies all, but Itchmesir hit me with a thought that had not occurred to me. The 5wt gives me more options...Streamers. I have only fished a 5wt 9' super fast rod so my skills are within a narrow range... Bad to worse

Dave
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Ugh. I'd bring em both if I can. I'm a big believer in streamers and bucktails so I fish my 9' 5wt (mid flex) a lot. When it comes to throwing dries and I don't have my 3wt full flex I add on some tippet and say a prayer.
Guest1 likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

5 no doubt if i wanted to give myself the most options. now if im in one of my moods where i say to hell with it im catching them on dries or not at all id fish the two.
jaybo41 and littledavid123 like this.