The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 01:45 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default WOW, I Totally Missed This One;

I've been digging around in the 'archives' it's winter you know..... and I found a thread about proper leaders for salmon and steelhead fishing by a member who is still active today. The thread was from March of 2009.

Below is the full text of one of the replies

[Quote]here in michigan i fish the clinton hard and in dirty water i fish 6 pound tippet and thats the heavest ill go the fish here are so presured it gets bad sometimes but when we see fish on reds and we float 6 pound tippet threw there and nothing then well make a change to 4 and more then likly we hit them its a great fight for about 15 to 20 min on 4 pound tippet but our fish dont get like it is in new york are adverage fish range 6-8 pounds and youll get a 10-12 pounder in there but they take you for a run[Quote]

Dang! "but when we see fish on reds and we float 6 pound tippet threw there and nothing then well make a change to 4 and more then likly we hit them its a great fight for about 15 to 20 min on 4 pound tippet"

Please be a sporting person and Do Not do what this fellow spoke so very casually about doing almost 4 years ago! You gotta wonder if he grew out of that or if they are still dragging breeding fish off the Redd's for 20 minute battles? This is when fishing behavior begins to exhibit a tilt toward either complete ignorance, or perversion.

On a lighter note: I have a new icon for such posts, what do you think....... Click the image to open in full size.
imxer, fysh, Guest1 and 15 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: WOW, I Totally Missed This One;

now that is totally a great emotioncon
fredaevans, jaybo41 and rubberguy like this.

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Alls it was missing were the beads and bobbers!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bill,

I don't know what they were putting on those fish but I was surprised that I never spotted the post. It was on a thread that I had started back in 2009 regarding using heavy enough leader foe the job when fishing for large species. The poster is no longer active in the group and that's probably a good thing

Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

truly unvbelievable

casey

ARFE
Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Ridiculous.

Said member's last activity was 10-22-2010, so they've been gone for awhile.

Was I the only one to type the quote into the search function and try to find the thread?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:45 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

no, i found it too. It is too bad that some people target spawning fish. It's not what I consider fun or sporting. Highlights that what might be legal in some places still might not be ethical.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

[quote=Hardyreels;506857]I've been digging around in the 'archives' it's winter you know..... and I found a thread about proper leaders for salmon and steelhead fishing by a member who is still active today. The thread was from March of 2009.

Below is the full text of one of the replies

[Quote]here in michigan i fish the clinton hard and in dirty water i fish 6 pound tippet and thats the heavest ill go the fish here are so presured it gets bad sometimes but when we see fish on reds and we float 6 pound tippet threw there and nothing then well make a change to 4 and more then likly we hit them its a great fight for about 15 to 20 min on 4 pound tippet but our fish dont get like it is in new york are adverage fish range 6-8 pounds and youll get a 10-12 pounder in there but they take you for a run
Quote:

Dang! "but when we see fish on reds and we float 6 pound tippet threw there and nothing then well make a change to 4 and more then likly we hit them its a great fight for about 15 to 20 min on 4 pound tippet"

Please be a sporting person and Do Not do what this fellow spoke so very casually about doing almost 4 years ago! You gotta wonder if he grew out of that or if they are still dragging breeding fish off the Redd's for 20 minute battles? This is when fishing behavior begins to exhibit a tilt toward either complete ignorance, or perversion.

On a lighter note: I have a new icon for such posts, what do you think....... Click the image to open in full size.

If I am correct Ard, this gentleman is talking about the Clinton River on the east side of the state, it was walking distance from the house I grew up at right off lake St Clair. The Clinton River holds many fish such as pike, walleye, steelhead…etc…The steelhead & walleye are fished real hard during the spring of the year on the Clinton River and I wish the DNR would shut it totally down during the spawning period.
Hardyreels and wt bash like this.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 12-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Hi Kevin,

For all of the aspersion I cast on some practices I think it is incumbent upon me to say that I have fished Redd's but not using ultra light tackle. I did this over 20 years ago as a reaction to frustration. When I caught the fish I took some time afterward to reflect on what I had done and I knew that there was no real skill or sport to be associated with how I had targeted the fish and took them off the one spot in a stream where they would certainly grab anything that trespassed into the bed.

I have been fishing since I was 8 years old. I have snagged fish, I have caught them by hand from beneath boulders, I have lined, lifted, chummed, and flossed. I chucked & ducked, and I on 'One' occasion used a large orange cork indicator to catch 3 trout on a nymph. I've used Glow Bug Eggs and flies with enough weight to 'shoot your eye out kid' and in many ways molested fish, all which I am not overly proud to remember.

At times I write things that rile people, opinions, Holier Than Thou type pontifications that some take to mean that either I think I 'know it all', or that I am better in some way than someone else because of my somewhat 'Purist' approach to, and philosophy on fly fishing.

I am not some guy who never crossed the lines of social moray's but will tell you why you should not. I've done things that I am not proud of and on reflection I know that taking unfair advantage or crossing ethical gray zones did not make me a better person or fisherman. What made me better was that I had the mental ability to understand, to see that my practices were flawed and to walk away from the behavior that would hold me back from understanding the 'Why' when relating to my love for the outdoors and fly fishing.

The dues have been paid, the decades spent all in an effort to better understand the part of this world that I choose to call 'what I love to be a part off'. It is because of my past and that I fully know the differences between right and wrong that I now can appreciate the rewards when they come my way. This whole thing, fly fishing, has been my life since 1977 when I got serious, prior to that I fished with fly and spin gear both. It is the one thing I never quit and the one thing I have no regrets over.

Ard
fysh, popperfly and kglissmeyer1 like this.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Fisihng over redds is as bad as using bait. Do it in Scotland and you'll find youself in the hoosegow.