The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 01:50 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about
Default dslr camera safety

its been about a year since we invested in a nice camera and thank God, so far, I have kept it out of the drink.

i have normally been carrying the camera over my shoulder in a camera bag but have had a few close calls wading in anything past waist deep. few times picking up a fish or wading too deep ive dipped the bottom of the bag into the water.

ive read a couple posts where people have been storing the camera under their waders but its awfully tight seeing that i wear a chest pack.

Anybody using waterproof carrying cases?

i find it very time consuming trying to get the camera out of bag, the lens cap off, and the camera turned on. i dont like fumbling with that while i have a fish on the hook

Anybody know of good ways to shoot underwater photos with a cannon t3i?

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: dslr camera safety

This isn't quite an answer to your question, but...

Pro level cameras and lenses have reasonable weather sealing, but that sealing is designed for light to moderate rain, not dunking.

If I'm carrying a DSLR while fishing, it's an older body. Old digital bodies aren't worth much. Right now I usually take a Nikon D70 with a 50mm 1.8 lens. Total value about $120.

Lately, I've been taking more photos with my iPhone. I even entered one in the Fall Photo contest. It's lots easier to keep the iPhone dry than a DSLR/lens.

Finally, if you really want an all-weather camera that won't be like hanging an anvil around your neck, get something like this:

Canon PowerShot D20 Waterproof Digital Camera (Blue) 6145B001

or this:

Nikon AW100 Waterproof Camera (Black)

Last edited by plecain; 12-14-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added another camera
Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

I don't have any advice as my dslr went for a swim in october
I wasn't paying attention, didn't realize that my camera bag was upside down whilst trying to spot salmon while standing on a bridge, opened the bag, camera fell, bounced, and fell into 10' of water that was about 42-45 degrees

I dove in and got it back, and it still works hehe so if your camera does get wet, do not give up hope!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

the reason this thread came to mind today is the fact that we will be fishing in some heavy rain and wind tomorrow. makes me nervous taking such an expensive camera out in the conditions but if i am too scared to use it, then what was the purpose of buying it...

thanks for the input plecain, i am really thinking about a weatherproof deal like that

latshki- sorry about the spill but that is an optimistic ending

hope a few others will chime in here also, the camera take some wonderful shots and dont wanna be scared to use it

Old 12-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by latshki View Post
I don't have any advice as my dslr went for a swim in october
I wasn't paying attention, didn't realize that my camera bag was upside down whilst trying to spot salmon while standing on a bridge, opened the bag, camera fell, bounced, and fell into 10' of water that was about 42-45 degrees

I dove in and got it back, and it still works hehe so if your camera does get wet, do not give up hope!
Wow!

For the original post: I solved my DSLR safety problem by purchasing a used Cannon Power Shot 1200 SD on eBay for 50 dollars. It is about the size of a cigarette pack and takes very good pictures. For taking a sweeping landscape of course I want the SLR, but for on the water and a quick fish picture the pocket camera has been a wonderful thing. I would urge everyone to look into a good little pocket unit so you don't have a bad experience with an expensive camera.

The selection of a pocket size camera in my case was driven by one criteria, The Presence of An Optical Viewfinder I was not so focused on pixel counts or the power of magnification the lens could deliver. I have tried to use cameras belonging to others in bright sunlight and have a hard time being sure of my shots without a viewfinder. I would advise that you look for a compact that has the viewfinder feature. Very few of the current models have a viewfinder, that was one factor in my looking at older cameras. All in all, the little Cannon represents one of my best eBay values to date.

Just something to consider,

Ard
il_wi_fishing and tbblom like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_wi_fishing View Post
Anybody know of good ways to shoot underwater photos with a cannon t3i?
I bought a case for my digital that I can take pictures with it in the case and it can go to 330' deep without a leak. That's the only really safe way and even with that you need to make sure any gaskets are good and are lubricated properly. What model camera do you have?

This is kind of like what I got. It only goes to 40 meters, but it gives you an idea. Meike 40M DC Underwater Waterproof Case for Canon WP DC38 PowerShot S95 Camera | eBay
Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

If you're going tomorrow, and you really want to use your t3i, you can take a one gallon freezer bag, cut a hole in it to fit the front of your lens or hood and tape it on tightly.

The front of your lens probably doesn't rotate while focusing.

You can also cut and tape an opening in the back and use the LCD monitor for composing.

Having said that, I wouldn't do it unless I was being paid for the outing.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If I was going to use a bag I'd just shoot through the bag before I cut holes in it. I don't think I'd even think about risking a camera to that one.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I bought a case for my digital that I can take pictures with it in the case and it can go to 330' deep without a leak. That's the only really safe way and even with that you need to make sure any gaskets are good and are lubricated properly. What model camera do you have?
I like this idea very much, waterproof above and below the water line, its a cannon t3i as far as model

Old 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on why you're using the DSLR for photos. If you're trying to sell them or otherwise utilizing the finished product to make a living or for a serious hobby, then invest in the waterproof housings that allow you to shoot underwater and in nasty weather.

Otherwise, plan accordingly. I've had numerous photos published and every one of them were from my P&S waterproof camera. I have a Pentax W90 and my son uses a Pentax WS80. Both are waterproof, have excellent lenses for the price you pay and they take outstanding photos. I have even used my W90 for macro pics of flies I have included in articles.

I have a nice Nikon DSLR that I now use often while on the water, but when I take this camera the focus is on shooting quality pics rather than for fishing and I never use it to get quick shots of any of my own fish. I will be on shore and relatively dry when using the DSLR. The P&S camera I strap in it's case to my waders with a strap around my neck and I can one-handed loose the camera, turn it on and get any grip-and-grin or any other shots without worry that it will take a dip. And, even if it does, it is waterproof and can take it.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Here are some of my published photos taken with a Point and Shoot camera:
Click the image to open in full size.

This one just made the cover of the Winter 2013 issue of Flyfishing & Tying Journal:

That's just a sample and I'm no expert. When you look at the cost of good DSLR equipment I concur with the others that you do everything to not put it at risk. A good quality P&S at a couple of hundred bucks is nothing compared to high quality camera bodies and lenses and the cost to replace them.

Kelly