The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 3 Post By mojo
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default While on the subject of lite rods

I love my 2wt and 3wt..but was thinking about an extra length ...9ft....3wt that might work for dries, nymphs..and smallish streamers. What are ya'll's opinion of this rod ? I was fixed on a Supefine Touch,,and not saying that isnt what im still shooting for,,I have considered this rod,,,IF,,I thought it would load short and be a decent dry fly rod to boot.

SO,,what'ya think ? Be brutally honest,,since I haven't spent money,,I'd rather know now.

Greys Fly - Products - Flyfishing Rods - Single Handed - XF2 Streamflex
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: While on the subject of lite rods

Are you asking for imput on the length or on the particular rod choices? or both?

Personally I love my 12' 3wt Great for nymphing and it can throw dries well. Just have to put a bit more into the hook set.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

William,,I've never used a longer than 9ft stick. How to you think a 10 -12 ft'er would work on small river,,larger creeks ? I def want it to be decent with dries...but also nymphing and streamers. Do they load decent on short cast ?
Would a 12 ft'er toss a decent 'lake cast' with a 3wt on a non-windy day ?

And, I do not see many comment on Greys rods on here..so yes,,I was interested in comments on Greys,,,and that action in paticular.

THanks fellas,
Mike
Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

My primary purpose for the rod is to nymph. I found a rather inexpensive blank and didn't spend too much on components, but ended up with a rod I enjoy. It helps me get over currents on mountain streams and have a nice long drag free drift. I wouldn't choose it as a dry fly rod, but I use it for dries if the trout start rising while I'm on the water. I haven't cast it in the wind but I wouldn't anticipate it being great. If there's much overhead branches the 12 footer would be annoying.

I haven't fished a superfine or greys but I'm sure some folks on here have. If you don't get replies related to those rods in the next couple days you can start a new thread with the rod names in the title. That might attract the attention of people who have used them.
pszy22 likes this.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
My primary purpose for the rod is to nymph. I found a rather inexpensive blank and didn't spend too much on components, but ended up with a rod I enjoy. It helps me get over currents on mountain streams and have a nice long drag free drift. I wouldn't choose it as a dry fly rod, but I use it for dries if the trout start rising while I'm on the water. I haven't cast it in the wind but I wouldn't anticipate it being great. If there's much overhead branches the 12 footer would be annoying.

I haven't fished a superfine or greys but I'm sure some folks on here have. If you don't get replies related to those rods in the next couple days you can start a new thread with the rod names in the title. That might attract the attention of people who have used them.
That rod almost sounds like a teenageTenkara
!
pszy22, fredaevans and williamhj like this.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
That rod almost sounds like a teenageTenkara
!
It may have been my gateway rod into the world of Tenkara It can lay out some line though so it's handy on larger rivers. But in pocket water or in small pools I have 12 - 15 ft of line out the tip and just cast upstream and drift down.
pszy22 likes this.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:41 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Stealth Rod

I have a 10', 3wt, Echo Shadow PE.

I kind of like the looks. It's flat carbon.

Even the reel seat and guides(!) are flat black.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Stealth Rod

I like a shorter rod for my fishing but alot of the folks I've run into on the Cumberland Valley spring creeks all fish 9'6 and up. Even in 2wt, when its trico time. The length will help keep line off the water for a drag free drift which makes sense to me I just don't like the length when it comes to sneaking into a brushy bank or under the willows.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Stealth Rod

I looked a lot of 10' 3wt rods and have read about every one on the market. Like William, I was looking for a nymphing rod. But then I found a nine and half foot blank for a good price so I've since pulled back. But I still want one.

Anyway, I love 9' rods and would think that it could be great in 3wt. But I'd definitely want to cast it. Anything in that light of a line weight, I'd really want to feel it.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a good rod; Grey is Hardy's 'second line.'