The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 12:46 PM

querorz is on a distinguished road
Default Examine My Cast Please

Hi guys ,

This is my second time of practicing for Fly Fishing. I am not even a beginner yet. Can you watch the video and tell me my mistakes please?

I know line is not very visible. Sorry about that.

TY

Fly Cast Practice - YouTube
Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Re: Examine My Cast Please

Welcome to the forum. My only suggestion would be to slow down your cast and turn your hips a little more.
brucerducer likes this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 12-15-2012, 01:39 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, SLOOOOOOOW down.
Next, shorten the stroke. The old standard is to stop your forward cast with the rod butt at the 1 O'clock position on an imaginary clock. Stop your backcast at 10 O'clock.

The motion is a short, quick acceleration and abrupt stop. Pause. Reverse.

Watch some videos on beginner casting. And just practice. You'll get it.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

SLOW DOWN! SLOW DOWN! SLOW DOWN! LET THE ROD DO SOME WORK FOR YOU. STOP ON BACK CAST LET THE ROD LOAD BEFORE YOU START FORWARD STOP ON FORWARD CAST LET ROD UNLOAD. Remember you can't cast slack line.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:05 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the faults I see.

1. Your upper arm remains horizontal and so there is no flex in the shoulder.

2. You lay your wrist back on the back cast. So the fly rod is horizontal to the ground on the backcast stop, at about 9 AM on this video.

3. Similarly, you stop on the forward cast at almost about 2:30 Pm. So your casting arc is just a little shy of 180 degrees. We call this windshield wiper cast.

4. There is no delay between your forward cast and your backcast to allow the line to unfurl. The line needs to completely unroll on the forward and backcast or else you will not have the opposing mass of the line for the opposite cast. The rod needs to work against the all the line for a good cast.

You need a delay between the forward a backward casting strokes. The longer the cast, the longer the delay.

5. Your feet are essentially at the same level. Since you are not an owl, this position makes it impossible for you to turn your head to see your backcast. You can cast like this if you are accomplished. As a beginner, I recommend that you place you right foot back a bit more along a 45 degree line to the baseline.

My teaching philosophy is to teach a basic simple casting stroke called the foundation cast. It is a simple and compact casting motion. Once this is learned, you can add to it.

The basic casting motion illustrated above is very simple. It is a rotation of the shoulder down and the opening (extension) of the elbow joint. It is similar to a karate chop.

Here are illustrations from Jason Borger's Nature of Fly Casting: A Modular Approach that show the shoulder and elbow rotations that result in a short convex casting motion. First the beginning position of the forward casting stroke.

Click the image to open in full size.

Then Jason illustrates the positions 1 during a casting demo.

Position 2 is the stop position.

Then Jason illustrates position 2 during a casting demo.

If you compare the casting stroke above to the stop motion photo below will see that this is the exact cast that the angler is making. Notice the curve of the of the rod stroke a the caster's hand goes forward and down. This is because he is rotating his arm at the shoulder and his forearm at the elbow. I cannot emphasize this basic stoke enough.

Practice this stroke. Practice it by using a pen or a pencil to pantomime the motion. Practice it while watching TV. Memorize the instructions below and burn the image into your brain.

The shoulder moves the elbow up and down like a pump handle. Simultaneously, the elbow opens and closes but never opens so much to widen the fly line loop. The wrist does not lay back or forward. Lock your wrist.

Watch this basic cast videos b Mel Krieger. Pay attention to the basic cast he teaches. It is identical to the motions I described above.

The shoulder and not the elbow or wrist is the most power joint in your arm. Cast from the shoulder. The shoulder drives the cast by moving the elbow up and down while the elbow opens and closes.

If you still have a problem with laying the wrist back too far, I can change your rod grip to correct that error.

You can see your forward cast but you must turn your head to see your backcast. This head turn can introduce a curve into your cast, but it is acceptable for you to watch your backcast while you are learning. It will improve your timing.
brucerducer likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

At some point you will want to cast farther than you have line out in your video. You are going to need to start holding line in your left hand.

This set of videos do a pretty fair job of the basics.

This is the part I was talking about.

Is it just me or does Mel Krieger kind of remind you of Red Green?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:29 PM

querorz is on a distinguished road

Guys, i am sorry that since i am on my phone, i am not able to write a long answer.

First of all i thank you all very very much. Since there is no one in my country to teach me the practical part of fly casting, you are my only teachers. You are so precious for me.

Baseman1 , thanks a lot. I will...
Dean_mt , thank you very much. I guess i should watch many more videos. I will do what you suggest.
Billy thank you very much. What you say must be the summary of what i need .
Silver , Wow man! Did you write all these golden informations just for me? Thank you , thank you. I already read them twice. I will read a couple more times and do whatever you taught me .

With the guidance of what you, my trainers, taught me, i will practice more and load another video soon. Again, thanks a lot. I appreciate your helps.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Dan, i just saw your post. Sorry about that and thank you so much. I will watch the videos as i get on a computer.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:46 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

On the roll cast, it is darn near impossible to learn to do it without water. You'll need the resistance of the water to help load the rod (let's save the grass leader conversation for later)
Without being too critical, I think your roll cast looks pretty darn good. That might be hard to prove because of the results you got but if you repeated what you did in the video on the water I think you'll be quite proud of it.
Without going back and forth to watch the clip and after seeing it only one time it looked to me like you were taking your time, not rushing the actual cast until a decent D-Loop was formed behind you. I also recollect the actual casting stroke on your roll cast being quite nice. Keep at it. Many times that will be your money cast.
You overhead cast is loaded with issues almost every beginner has so I guess you can say you have about an everage beginner cast!
Over the years some of the worlds finest fly casters have agreed that Bill Gammels 5 Essentials to a Good Cast, if followed, will indeed set your cast straight. Study these clips and don't cheat by thinking doing away with any of them will shorten the path to good casting. They are all essential to casting success.
the 5 essentials of fly casting - Fly Fishing Forums
Enjoy the ride! To be brutally honest, it's such a long ride that it never ends. There are always new tricks and techniques to learn. Even one of the guru's of casting, Lefty Kreh, added to his demonstration casts rotating the whole body instead of just the arm joints. At 80+ years of age necessity is sometimes the mother of invention.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is so COOL!

You guys are reaching across the whole world to help this person to learn!

Keep it up,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-15-2012, 11:00 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Some really good points. I think the two things that will help you out as simply as I can state it are:

1) Have your rod come to slowly accelerate and come to a complete stop on the forward and backcast.
2) Pause. Have a pause so the line has time to unroll.