The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By nrp5087
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default whip finish direction to move?

Hey, I taught myself to hand whip finish....which seems actually easier than using the tool honestly! (seems easier to get things were I want them to go)

Which direction should I wrap thread? EXample -if I'm tying a fly with the eye facing "right" (I'm right-handed and tie as such), should I wind the wraps to the right (toward to the eye) as I whip? It seems easier to tie when going in that direction, but both seem to work.

Is there a right way to do this?

Thanks,
Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: whip finish direction to move?

no right or wrong way, you just want to make sure the thread is wrapped over.
i.e. when you start the wrap, the thread leading to the bobbin, needs to be wrapped by the thread loop.
if you dont wrap over it, then you dont have a secure knot when you cut the bobbin off.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Which type of whip finish tool have you tried? The basic kit I got came with a Thompson style and I never quite got the hang of it, so I always half hitched. I then got myself a Martarelli style and found it to be much easier to use. I put a streamer hook into the vice and just practice whip finishing from the back of the shank to the front until I got it.

I learned in a fly tying book years ago that your wraps should always go away from you OVER the shank and towards you UNDER. As long as you're doing this, I'm not sure that it makes much of a difference.
il_wi_fishing likes this.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

you should continue the thread in the direction you were previously wrapping. So generally the thread is wrapped away from the tier. Just keep it going in that direction.

P.S Ovechkin and Semen stink.... Go Pens
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Okay - that makes sense. Thank you!

BTW -
Semin went to Carolina -- good riddance!

P.S. - Crosby = over-grown, crying man-child.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Hey, I taught myself to hand whip finish....which seems actually easier than using the tool honestly! (seems easier to get things were I want them to go)

Which direction should I wrap thread? EXample -if I'm tying a fly with the eye facing "right" (I'm right-handed and tie as such), should I wind the wraps to the right (toward to the eye) as I whip? It seems easier to tie when going in that direction, but both seem to work.

Is there a right way to do this?

Thanks,
There is a right way!

You should whip finish away from you starting away from the eye and making the thread wraps toward the eye. Wrapping it the other way makes the thread cross over the previous warps.

See the explanation below:

Whip Finish direction (Amanda--) - Fly Tying
jaybo41 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-18-2012, 12:58 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I learned this tie off from Gary Borger about 15 - 20 years ago and have used it ever since. It's a fast and efficient once you get the hang of it -

Gary Borger The Double Hitch

Give it a try.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo