The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Fishing in February? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/305599-fishing-february.html)

natejelovich 12-19-2012 12:25 AM

Fishing in February?

Hi all,

Any recommendations/suggestions on a good vacation spot with great river fishing in February?

No further East than Colorado. Was looking at Banff, but most likely too cold...

Any ideas would be super helpful

theboz 12-19-2012 12:33 AM

Re: Fishing in February?

February ? Go south . The Amazon would work for me !!

natejelovich 12-19-2012 08:51 AM

Amazon?! Yeah, I wish!

Unfortunately, have to stay within North America.

trial153 12-19-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboz (Post 508290)
February ? Go south . The Amazon would work for me !!

My wife and I usually take a Jan or Feb cruise ......I always pack a travel fly rod set...got to use it a couple times down in the Crib....south is good lol.

double dry 12-19-2012 09:14 AM

Well, if you can't go south, find a good tailwater and set up shop. Lots of good tailwater fishing in Colorado in February. Other states too, I suspect.

Have fun.

trial153 12-19-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double dry (Post 508331)
Well, if you can't go south, find a good tailwater and set up shop. Lots of good tailwater fishing in Colorado in February. Other states too, I suspect.

Have fun.

We used to fish the Tail waters of the west Branch here in NY during the winter months, now we moved out to the lake O tribs....steelhead seem to be made for winter.

mcnerney 12-19-2012 09:57 AM

Nate: The San Juan river in NM should fish well in February, but it is pretty isolated, not much to do there other than fishing. I know you said no further east than Colorado, but February would be a great month to target Redfish in Louisiana. Here in the Rockies you will pretty much be limited to tailwater fishing and there are many to choose from: Frying Pan, Big Horn, Flaming Gorge, to name just a few, but you will most likely need to be prepared for COLD fishing. However, the Frying Pan also gives you the option of combining skiing with some fishing. Pyramid lake, NV might also be a possible, I have never fished there, so maybe some of the others can chime in on that idea.

Larry

troutdoorsman 12-19-2012 10:39 AM

Plenty of fishing to be done around the Sierras in Feb. The Truckee, East Carson and East Walker fish well that time of year and Pyramid Lake has been letting 10 pounder after 10 pounder come out as well as 3 20+ pounders. The eastern Sierras have plenty of fishable waters as well for trout, steelhead and stripers.

fredaevans 12-19-2012 12:47 PM

Another hours fly time? Southern Oregon for Winter Steelhead fishing on the upper Rogue River.

piscatorial_phd 12-19-2012 01:26 PM

San Juan has my vote. Was there a few years ago in late January and had a blast. We did get hit with a rare blizzard and I was driving a Nissan Versa in 23" of snow, but like I said that was rare. A couple of my buds knocked 'em dead with RS2, SJW, WD40 and Olive Bunny Leaches. I want to go back, soon.

We stayed at the Octagon Inn once, at Abe's another time. It is more a guy trip.