The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 AM

natejelovich is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing in February?

Hi all,

Any recommendations/suggestions on a good vacation spot with great river fishing in February?

No further East than Colorado. Was looking at Banff, but most likely too cold...

Any ideas would be super helpful
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fishing in February?

February ? Go south . The Amazon would work for me !!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 AM

natejelovich is on a distinguished road

Amazon?! Yeah, I wish!

Unfortunately, have to stay within North America.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 AM

trial153 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
February ? Go south . The Amazon would work for me !!
My wife and I usually take a Jan or Feb cruise ......I always pack a travel fly rod set...got to use it a couple times down in the Crib....south is good lol.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:14 AM

double dry is on a distinguished road

Well, if you can't go south, find a good tailwater and set up shop. Lots of good tailwater fishing in Colorado in February. Other states too, I suspect.

Have fun.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 AM

trial153 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by double dry View Post
Well, if you can't go south, find a good tailwater and set up shop. Lots of good tailwater fishing in Colorado in February. Other states too, I suspect.

Have fun.
We used to fish the Tail waters of the west Branch here in NY during the winter months, now we moved out to the lake O tribs....steelhead seem to be made for winter.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nate: The San Juan river in NM should fish well in February, but it is pretty isolated, not much to do there other than fishing. I know you said no further east than Colorado, but February would be a great month to target Redfish in Louisiana. Here in the Rockies you will pretty much be limited to tailwater fishing and there are many to choose from: Frying Pan, Big Horn, Flaming Gorge, to name just a few, but you will most likely need to be prepared for COLD fishing. However, the Frying Pan also gives you the option of combining skiing with some fishing. Pyramid lake, NV might also be a possible, I have never fished there, so maybe some of the others can chime in on that idea.

Larry

Larry
Old 12-19-2012, 10:39 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Plenty of fishing to be done around the Sierras in Feb. The Truckee, East Carson and East Walker fish well that time of year and Pyramid Lake has been letting 10 pounder after 10 pounder come out as well as 3 20+ pounders. The eastern Sierras have plenty of fishable waters as well for trout, steelhead and stripers.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Another hours fly time? Southern Oregon for Winter Steelhead fishing on the upper Rogue River.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:26 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

San Juan has my vote. Was there a few years ago in late January and had a blast. We did get hit with a rare blizzard and I was driving a Nissan Versa in 23" of snow, but like I said that was rare. A couple of my buds knocked 'em dead with RS2, SJW, WD40 and Olive Bunny Leaches. I want to go back, soon.

We stayed at the Octagon Inn once, at Abe's another time. It is more a guy trip.
mcnerney likes this.