Tongue Tied About Feathers...HA!

Reaction score
Heel low:

Am a retired accountant, I drive school bus to pay for bird seed so we may run a biosecure Conservation Farm in the Rocky Mountain Foothills of Alberta, Canada (yes, the gateway to some pretty fab fishing & hunting!). We have ninety years experience between us, my spouse and I, in raising livestock, canines and poultry. I love our hobby and wonder if it might supply the needs of another hobby... One fine day, I have visions of having a store front off my husband's cabinet shop that sells honest to goodness Jacob sheep wool socks & blankets, a huge assortment of feathers for fly tyers (Hackles Up), and a place to pick up a dozen Sing Brightly Happy Hen cackleberries for your out in the woods campfire breakfast. I have a dream...will it become reality...please help me to understand your hobby better!

I have a few (well OK, more than a few) questions about poultry feathers used in fly tying. Should call this thread "Feathers 101" for the one hundred and one questions I am about to ask here. Brace yourself...

I know just enough about fly tying to be a danger to myself (mostly) as I took a class in elementary school on this indepth and marvelous endeavour, even got a vice kicking around here some place too. I am more a bobber and worm kinda fisher; tom boy that grew up on the Nor end of Van Isle...you could tie a pink mini marshmallow on the end of baling twine and limit out on Sockeye--those were the good ol' dazes...abalone at low tide, feasting on prawns & crab, steelhead ripping thru the streams and cutthroats surfacing at every pond; waiting for me to come crashing thru the Salal. I never EVER got left at home because I figured the best part about fishing was cleaning the catch; figuring out what the fish were eating! Not done any fishing for decades...bin too busy playing with ducks, chickens, turkeys, pheasants, geese, swans, and various other silly creatures on the funny farm...so am thinking (danger, warning sign!) I would like to know more about what the fly tying people that use feathers want out of the poultry feathers supplied to them.

A little about colour in bird feathers...only two pigments in bird feathers; black (eumelanin) and red (phaeomelanin) and you get white when no pigment is expressed. All those really funky brilliant feather colours you see in say hummingbirds and pheasants (turkey rainbow feathers, some chickens and ducks too) are made possible when layers of bubbles top the feather's surface. Available light dictates the colours that are reflected back to our eyes, so this makes me wonder, how do those gorgeous Red Golden feathers l00k to fish underwater, dancing daintily delicious (have a bite, eh?) in the river currents or floating precariously on top? I am going to have to rely on the expertise here for guidance on what makes fish bite a fly and what you want in your fanciful feathery baits.

Quite often when messing with colours in poultry, we create unrecognized feather patterns. Last year I was beginning the makings of a large fowl breed into a bantam breed and ended up with Brockbars (red cuckoo/barred)...a variety not recognized in North America, but there are some rare ones in Europe. I see what looks like "cuckoo" patterns in alot of your flies, that and some pretty nifty flies with Red Golden pheasant feathers...nice!

I adore colour genetics and have played around with it in dogs, sheep, and now the birds. It may surprise some fishermen that we can do a fair amount of manipulation on the expressions found in poultry feathers. From shape, size, texture, colour, pattern, hard vs. soft, strong vs. weak. Did you know the strongest feathers are white (devoid of pigment)? Explains why the Black Australian Swans can be mostly black but their primary feathers need to be White for flight.

I want to know what feathers people that tie flies want. I might have alot of the kind of feathers here already that people will like and I may also be able to breed up some pretty funky colours and patterns, tailored to specific requests. This will take time, effort and luck. If I don't know what others are looking for, kinda hard to expect to be able to supply it.

I am asking the people that do the fly tying to hear right from the end users, what do you people want in your poultry feathers?

What do you currently like about the poultry feathers you can acquire?

What would you like to see changed (if possible) in the poultry feathers?

What can you imagine in feathers that would suit a need you can't find?

What are some of the most desirable qualities that are missing in poultry feathers?

Our climate here ranges from summer highs of more than +40 C down to winter lows of more than -40 C...we have the climate that encourages good insulative feather growth.

Older maturer birds produce longer feathers. Then there is different sizes bred into poultry...in chickens, standard (large fowl) and bantams, waterfowl will have weight differences in the actual breeds (Appleyards are a heavy duck, whilst Calls, Indies, Mandarins and Spots are bantam / Dutch Hookbills and Crested are a medium sized duck). In geese, swans, and game birds like pheasants, they are the size that they are though an Egyptian goose is not as robust as a more domesticated goose breed like our Americans.

Standard chicken compared to Bantam chicken.

Top is a standard sized Chantecler chicken, bottom is a bantam sized Wyandotte chicken.

Standard chickens have longer hackles (and in the males, saddles), wings, tails...simply because a standard (large fowl) chicken is bigger than bantams. Yet on the reverse side, bantam chickens would offer finer details, more precise markings and patterns in their smaller expressed feathers. A Bronze turkey wing feather pattern may be lost if you were trying to make a small fly...selection for a bantam chicken Crele variety hackle/saddle feather might be a better choice for smaller flies.

Golden Pheasant males, at about age two years begin to display an amazing array of coloured feathers. Before this age, they look pretty much like the females (camouflage colour pattern) and you can tell they are males after a certain age as youngsters because of their yellow iris, the females are brown.

Red Golden female adult

Red Golden males: Two juvenile males under two years of age with older than two year old adult males / Male Red Golden feathers.

The matured male Red Golden pheasant has vivid lustrous yellow, orange, green, blue, red, brown, black electric popping feathers. Do these colours remain this vivid UNDERWATER? Are there feather colours that are a complete waste of effort when viewed under water? I know with blue in bird plumage, that it is caused by there being ample black pigments in a feather being diluted to the colour shade of blue. These same blue feathers when viewed in the shade are grey, not blue. Look at a wild blue jay, in the shade they look grey, no blue is reflected back for us to view as that colour. What happens to the bright coloured feathers underwater, does the luster disappear? Do fishermen and fly tyers care about this?

I see offered, right and left side wing feathers, matched pairs...and of course tail feathers. I expect to hear that there are applications where you want matched left and right portions of feathers for a project fly (maybe insect wings), then other times where you would want perfectly straight grained (can I call it grained like in wood grain or is there a different fly tying terminology for left and right sided materials?) webs. I laugh as I have the Aussie Black swans and they have ruffles, yes, wavy grained/webbed pitch black feathers which might offer an interesting option to a fly tying project. Would a wavy web be something tyers might want?

Are there purists on here that figure a chemically dyed feather is taboo, or does it really matter; natural or dyed? Do the fish notice? Do you care? I know in supplying hand spinners with fleeces, the Jacobs seem to make people happy with being able to supply a bunch of different natural colours for spinning into yarn for socks, blankets, sweaters, or even just rovings for crafts, etc.

What colours do you use the most in your art form (may I call it that, it is really beautiful, the hand tied flies!); brown and black, white, yellow, orange, red, purple, green, blue?

We have self colours like Blue, Chocolate, Blacks (flat blacks, beetle green blacks), Brown, Orange, Gold, Red, Yellow, White, metallics in copper, rainbows... I could prattle on for hours here and bore paint off the walls.

What patterns? I have Pencilled (gold, silver), Laced (black, blue, golden, silver), Mille de Fleur (mahogany reds with black spangle and tipped in a white pearl), Columbian (buff/gold and silver), Cuckoo/Barred (black, red, blue), combinations like Cuckoo Columbian (Delware) or Crele, waterfowl patterns like Blue Fawn, Grey Mallard, Pastel, Snowy, Butterscotch, Bibbed, Pied, Magpie, Ancona...etc. Sure I have forgotten a few...oh well.

In hackle feathers, we have what I refer to as "diamonds" in the pencilled varieties, a v-shaped striped feather with a diamond shaped center. We have these in gold and silver, beetle green black edged in mahogany and red orange clay. It takes 100's of years to perfect the expression of some poultry patterns; one season from someone that selects for quantity over quality and these attributes may be lost. We imported many of our birds from oldtimers that have invested 60 and 75 years into their lines and we have gone forward with these genetics. I wonder if the same things I look for in our bird feathers are the same things fly tyers want in the feathers they use.

When feathers are collected, do the oils from human hands alter the usability? Should someone wear some sort of glove, say cotton, leather or latex? Do you bother to wear gloves when you tie the flies? Would seem silly to care about the handling and transfer if the fly tyer don't take precautions.

Various Heritage Turkey Feathers.

Looking at all the funky colour varieties we raise in say just the heritage turkeys (Jersey Buff, Wishard Bronze, Narragansett, Slate, Red Bronze, Rusty Black, Dilute Rusty Black, Red Blue Bronze, Lilac & Sweetgrass), it seems quite the shame that when I process some for our table, I toss the feathers. I will be processing a Wishard Bronze tom for Christmas dinner and maybe I should be saving these feathers as they don't do no good being thrown away. I dry pluck; I don't like processing hot, wet, feathers and oozy fats! Blick. If you harvest them humanely efficient, the feathers pluck out very clean and easy. I expect feathers harvested in this manner are much nicer to use for fly tying so won't have to adjust this method.

One of my absolute favourite turkeys for colour expression in feathers is the Rusty Black.

Rusty Black Tom.

Some of his feathers.

Do you people like your feathers sorted by the places on the bird's body where the feathers grow? For example; tail feathers, hackle or saddle, wing coverts, flights, chest down? And what about down, do you use that too? I am going to have to learn what parts you want the whole birds segregated into...for your ease of use, of course.

How do you like the feathers stored...in plastic sealed zip lock bags, in paper bags, in wax paper, in tin foil....what method suits you best and keeps the feathers in prime condition.

Do you want the feathers plucked or are shed feathers fine too (clean, sans poop, other nasties, and not broken/abused, this would go without saying!)?

Because I can send off a fresh plucked feather to have it DNA'd (gender, colour genetics), there must be some materials in the fresh feather's quill that they test (I can also send blood dripped on a piece of "cardboard" collection paper from a short toe nail clip). To me, this could spoil, so I am going to take a leap here and ask, do I need to pluck feathers and then age/season them, dry them out and how long is long enough...I can envision this smelly package in the mail...not good, not good at all! Because I care about the quality of life our birds enjoy, would cutting the feather off with scissors degrade the fly tying quality? Pros for bird is less pain, con is that the feather does not grow back like a plucked feather.

Do you ever get a skinned bird, feathers attached or is this just gross and going to rot and spoil? I have tawed my own sheep hides (non-iodized salt, borax, Neatsfoot oiled), elk and deer, fur on and fur off. Raw tanned and soft tanned (might be hard to tan a bird skin...ha ha ha...but they do snake skins don't they?). I ask because I truly don't know, dumb as that may sound...sorry on that!

I expect not to want to supply skin with feathers attached. I will process a bird for consumption and although my big butt tells me to lay off the skin-on poultry, I have not given in and we process the birds, skin on and cook them that way. Besides, part of conservation is to find methods to utilize live birds...harvesting an annual crop of useable feathers intrigues me whilst having to kill the contributors does not seem too overly sustainable.

So what is the deal on "hackle" feathers...found on both male and female birds, only the "saddle" feathers are on the male and I don't see much difference in the saddle compared to the hackle feathers, but I am rather wet behind the ears on these things, wanting to learn from the experts. Saddle feathers can sometimes be a larger version of the hackle...too big then?

All Chantecler Standard male chickens: Red Orange Clay (ROC) / Partridge / Buff.

So you get the same kinds of feathers but in different colours and shades.

Do you only want feathers from landfowl (chickens, pheasants, turkeys, game birds or even peafowl--peafowl raising does not interest me as they can have calls that sound like someone is getting killed, so never had any--no apologies, no herl, eh)?

Do you use waterfowl feathers (I remember reading long time ago that a Wood Duck could supply a fly tyer with most all the feathers one needs, not sure on that)? Ducks, geese, swans? Man alive I have a ton of different colours and patterns in my bantam ducks. Twenty-four different colour varieties in my Call Ducks (make a fist, add feathers and watch it flirt, waddle and quack; that about sums up a Call duck!) and the Australian Spotteds in three varieties (sorta like a Mallard but add more chocolate and then frosting...sounds more like dessert than a duck breed). We got all sorts of nifty ducks from Dutch Hookbills and Silver Appleyards right on over to East Indies (beetle green blacks) and Mandarins [Aix galericulata]--nope, no Wood ducks [Aix sponsa], no aviculture permit to keep them though at one time they did reside on our property wild until we cleared out the brush and their nesting site tree trunk got too old to hold the nestlings securely.

Dry flies and wet...my understanding, dry floats on top of water, wet would not. Is there a difference in the feathers you use then for dry flies compared to wet flies? Would a wet fly feather soak up moisture and a dry fly feather repel or do you treat the fly with some product to make them water resistant therefore "floaty?"

Are there certain kinds of feathers you use to make appropriate action in the water to attract and entice fish to bitey bite? When we raise birds, we pay attention to feather textures for breed and varieties. The hard feather expresses a crisp pattern, a soft feather expresses a fuzzy pattern - barred is hard and slow grown, cuckoo is soft and fast grown. In our extreme climate here in Central Alberta, I won't produce slow grown feathers if I can help it...get it on fast, get them covered up before they succumb to the weather.

Things like feather shape affect how the pattern is expressed; almond shaped for a Laced Sebright, blunt shaped for a Barred Plymouth Rock, round for a Golden Lace Wyandotte. Even in Gold Pencilled (Partridge pattern), width of the black lacing in the pattern varies. I see many of you use finely marked feathers for tying flies, pending how small the fly, how much detail is being attempted would legislate how intricate the pattern has to be expressed in the feathers.

When do you purchase your feathers...all year round or?

When do you do most of your fly tying? During the winter months to get a stash done up for when nicer weather is upon us and you are then busy fishing (thinking Canada weather, the Great White North right now here)?

Are there any obvious questions I have not touched upon that you might answer?

Well that was a cascade of questions. I wonder if you will simply shrug and say, too many questions...I hope not!

Thank you ever so kindly for those brave and tenacious enough to make it this far down the screen! VBG

I will post a few more times to show you some examples from the various poultry species we have in regards to feathers for fly tying.

Doggone & Hackles UP!

Tara

Reaction score
Heel low:

So here are some of the colours and patterns of feathers we have. I will post examples of the many varieties I have photos of...many I do not...I do have yet more work to be done...

Heritage CHICKENS (Standard & Bantam):

Feathers from hackle of a Chantecler Partridge male.

Feathers from Chantecler males; Buff top left, ROC (Red Orange Clay)top right, and Brockbar bottom.

- Blue, black, golden, silver...

Blue patterned feathers in a bantam pullet.

Black patterned feathers in a bantam pullet.

Golden patterned feathers in a bantam pullet.

- Mille de Fleur (mahogany reds with black spangle and tipped in a white pearl)

Multi coloured pattern...showing how pigments are expressed in feathers. First the colour genetics instruct the feather not to produce any pigments, so a white pearl on the tip, then the pigments are told, "OK" and the fastest pigment, black begins only to have red pigment (slower) come up and cover over the black. White tipped pearl, black spangle, red base for the rest of the feather...along with white dotty dots of no pigment from mottling.

MDF Booted vulture hocks.

One of the few chicken breeds where vulture hocks are wanted (wing like feathers on the legs--somewhat related to having a feathered foot). Even the vulture hocks express the MDF pattern...Mille de Fleur, French for thousands of flowers.

- Columbian (gold/buff and silver)

Buff Columbian, called "Buff" in Brahmas.

Silver Columbian, called "Light" in Brahmas.

Saddle feathers moved aside to show dark grey slate down colour found in the Light Brahma. Even the Buff Brahmas have this grey slate down, quite a vivid contrast. This is due to the Brahmas being based on eb Brown in the e-series. You can see some of this slate down in the ROC Chanteclers too...another variety based on eb Brown.

- Cuckoo/Barred (black, red, blue), combinations like Cuckoo Columbian (Delware) or Crele.

Crele pair of bantam chickens.

Red Pyle cockerel.

Single dose of cuckoo/barred in a Crele-like cockerel bantam Wyandotte.

Funky stuff...this cockerel is single dose of dom white, cuckoo/barred. He has cuckoo hackles and saddle, brilliant reds in wings, varying degrees of red pigments in the breast (some lacings). For exhibition purposes, he is one messed up bird BUT in a fly tying sense, he offers alot of different colours and patterns for tying flies. He is a project bantam Chantecler and would not be a show bird, but indeed a breeder for going forward with in making ones that are suiting the Standard of Perfection for poultry.

Various Wyandotte bantam cockerels.

So that's a few of the chicken feathers here.

Doggone & Hackles UP!

Tara

Reaction score
Heel low:

This post is on our heritage turkeys. Quite different than commercial turkeys, I think the turkeys we raise are the most appropriate birds we raise for fly tying. Lots of colours, patterns, and from my limited understanding, the feather types on turkeys offer lots of applications for fly tyers.

Without further adieu, let me present to you...

HERITAGE TURKEYS.

Sweetgrass tri-coloured male.

Sweetgrass tri-coloured hens and Dilute Rusty Black hen.

Jersey Buff tom.

Tom on left, then Jersey Buff hens on right.

Jersey Buff hens (yes hens will puff and strut like toms!) on left and bottom right with a Rusty Black tom on far right top.

Black and white Sweetgrass tom and some of his feathers.

Lilac turkeys.

Rusty Black Tom.

Some of his feathers.

Gender wise in birds, there can be large differences in feather expression...here is a Dilute Rusty Black Tom turkey....

Here are the females, Dilute Rusty Black turkey hens.

Juvenile turkeys, inside and out.

Heritage turkey feathers....

Doggone & Hackles UP!

Tara

Reaction score
Heel low:

Colour genetics...there can be vivid differences in feather pattern expression...here are two male chickens, the only difference, one on the right has a single cuckoo/barred allele, the other on the left has two. Double up on this diluter, you get a lighter coloured male.

Red pigments, left double cuckoo/barred, right single dose cuckoo/barred.

Above is same colour genetics, but done in black pigments, not red. Left double cuckoo/barred and right single dose.

All three of these feathers are from male chickens with cuckoo/barred genetics. Left is single does of cuckoo/barred, right is double dose, top is red double dose of cuckoo/barred.

Add Autosomal red and lookit the difference in colour expression. First male has NO autosomal red (Ar"+"), all the rest of the males have Ar in varying degrees (plus or minus modifiers).

Here are some of the feathers from the above males.

Some saddle feathers from the Chantecler breed of chicken.

Feathers from Chantelcers in Buff (left), Red Orange Clay (right), and bottom, Brockbar.

Bantam Wyandotte male chickens, Crele-like patterns, light and dark versions.

I want to know what the fly tyers like...are all these variations in feather colour expression wanted or are some preferred over others?

Tara

Reaction score
Heel low:

So this post is on the waterfowl we have...

WATERFOWL

GEESE:

American buff and buff pied.

DUCKS:

Mandarin Drake.

Appleyard hen.

Crested Grey hen.

Dutch Hookbill pair.

East Indies.

Call Ducks.

Australian Spotted pair.

Waterfowl patterns like Snowy, Blue Fawn, Grey Mallard, Pastel, Butterscotch, Pied, Magpie, Ancona...etc. Colours like blue, black, silver splash, white, chocolate, Mallard wild type, muted diluted colours.

Here's a box of quackers...

Call Ducklings...make a fist, that is how big they will grow to.

Blue Fawn - Rosy.

Butterscotch - Fingers.

Snowy - Flake.

Chocolate pullet, no bigger than a pound of butter.

Snowy Calls in the snow.​

Since I am not sure you use waterfowl feathers much... I'll wait to hear if these are something fly tyers use as we have just a barrage of varieties!

Don't wait too long to reply now...this is what happens to fresh eggs round these dem here parts.

Quack quack...dat be that...VBG

Doggone & Hackles UP!

Tara

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
Wow! Way too much information for me to digest at once time!
I will address what fly tiers want in chicken hackle:
First, you will need to acquire some genetically selected chickens. They have been selected to provide capes with a large number of small feathers with stiff barbs, but soft shafts for dry flies. Saddle hackles have very long feathers with essentially the same length barbs all the way from the tip to the base and thus can be used to tie a number of flies of the same size.
The hen capes are primarily used for nymphs and wet flies since the barbs tend to be much softer than on the rooster capes.
Usually the capes are sold with the skin on and treated to keep insects out.

I am sure there are others that can add to this information but at least you have a start.
As for the other feathers. wood duck and mallard flank feathers are a common ingredient of fly patterns and you can search on Ebay to find other feathers that are being sold as well as prices. Cul de Canard feathers (fluffy feathers surrounding the cloaca of a duck) are also in demand for dry fly patterns because of the natural water repellent oils. Ostrich herl, pheasant tail feathers and peacock herl are some of the other feathers sought after by tiers.

Hope this helps!

wt bash

Reaction score
WOW!!!! I'm pretty much speechless! I wouldn't know where to begin! Some here could be better help but I might look up featheremporium.com or feathersmc.com both are dealers and would be more than likely willing to see what you have, what could be used and so on. I tell you what I would love the chance to just walk the grounds and fill a bag of whatever I find cause you definitely have some unique stuff there. I hope others chime in that could give you a better answer but welcome to the forum and best of luck to you, I truly hope it works out, God knows we could use another steady supply of hackle!

rockriver

Reaction score
I have to second the WOW comment. I need some time to digest all the info on feathers. I'm hoping things work out for you.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
What a bunch of birds! I will send you a private message with my suggestion for becoming a business member with us here on this forum. We have members who use about every feather under the sun and it looks like you've got them.

It will be later today until I contact you but you could definitely be in the feather business.

Ard

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Loved the post and pictures ! Aside from and education in fly tying feathers,,the pictures of the chickens and turkeys take me back to when I was growing up.

thanks !

Mike

L

Liphookedau

Another WOW,I can imagine the area needed to run all these Beautiful kept Birds.
It's good to see some of our Natives in Canada.
I was only Fishing last night & saw two Black Swans which are regulars to The Lake I Fish.
As Ard has mentioned there are Flies which are Tied using lots of your Feathers.
The main Flies I & many others Tie use mainly The Natural Coloured Feathers,we also dye some,whereas The Salmon Flies use The "More Fancier Feathers" although most of us don't Tie many Salmon Flies we Still keep The Feathers & occassionally use them for some of our Flies we use.
All I can say is you shouldn't have much trouble selling your Feathers as there is always in great demand for quality Feathers.
Another thing I will add which really annoyed us all is The Hair Extention Thing Took off & Capes were advertised/sold for extortionate prices,the sellers didn't worry about us as all they could see was The Dollar Signs,& didn't worry about The Flytyer even though we were their main source of sales.
So Good Luck,all The Best.
Brian.

latshki

Reaction score
Alll I can say is :surprise: and *drool*

I want matched tail feathers in high quality from your heritage turkeys
*drool*
omg
*drool* turkey *drool*

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Holy smokes! Yes you have enough there to get a really good jump in the fly tying feather business. You should take up Ard (Hardyreels) on the info and the business membership. We have right no somewhere in the area of 37,000 members a lot of whom (who?) tie flies. You may even be able to start breeding some of what you have towards better and smaller barbed hackles and give some of the fly companies a run for their money. Especially since we are not that happy with them (some of us anyway) after the hair extension craze.

theboz

Reaction score
Double what Dan said! Dang you have a bunch of birds! Hook up with Ard on the business end. My money says you will have many customers with that kind of variety! Guys that tie are always searching for new outlets.

Reaction score
Heel low:

Thank you for all the replies.

Yes, yes, it will take some time to absorb this all I posted, did not happen for us here overnight, so I appreciate that some of you take it in a few times! LOL

So you understand, we are in no rush to open a business. I have the next two weeks off from my part time job and want to use this time to begin to investigate what fly tyers want in feathers. I am in no hurry; five years, ten, fifteen. I can't get too rushed over this because it pays to go slowly. I want to understand fly tying needs, if I understand the why's, it will make us a much better educated provider. This is already our family's hobby, hobbies are suppose to be fun and turning a hobby into a business takes the fun and make it into a four letter word, WORK! I have a part time job already and my spouse has a job that is more like two full time jobs at times, especially in winter!

Please don't rush this for us. I very very much want to understand the finer points. Knowing that you need saddle and hackle feathers is one thing, but knowing the more intricate reasons why you prefer one type of feather over another, that is the magical part.

I am struggling with the terminology and I thought I already knew parts of the feather...ha hah...guess again! I don't know much anything at all it seems. If I know the reasons certain feathers work for you, it allows me to better supply them.

FlyFlinger2421 said:
capes with a large number of small feathers with stiff barbs, but soft shafts for dry flies.
Thank you! Now I have some guidance in qualities to search for in some hackle feathers.

FlyFlinger2421 said:
what fly tiers want in chicken hackle:
First, you will need to acquire some genetically selected chickens.
Hoping to learn these qualities and select for them.

These are male chickens in Europe, bred up to be used in fly tying.

Called a Grizzly.

This second dude chicken is stuffed. Please keep in mind, if I am asked to provide patches of skin with feathers attached, that bird is not alive any more and therefore kinda not contributing to the "conservation" farm theme we hold dear. But yes certainly, we may eat our mistakes in the poultry! Fattened fowl is delicious, not matter the colour pattern. To quote a famous turkey man, even the coyotes don't eat the feathers. Ha ha.

Colour genetics wise, I suspect these Grizzlies are simply a single dose of cuckoo/barred (males can have two, females only have room for one of these alleles since cuckoo/barred is gender linked). The colour portion is still moderately dark. The markings appear to be clear and precisely barred, so the feathers are grown slower than ones expressed to be cuckoo patterned. Slow feathered birds have genetics we can choose to breed for. I personally prefer a fast grown feather in production poultry; less energy is expelled in making feathers and more can be targetted towards meat &/or eggs. These Grizzlies are indeed finely created with fly tying in mind.

Physically, the genetics that are used (Sasaki & Yamaguchi, 1970) are a dominant gene designated as Gt (controls continued growth of the saddle and tail feathers) and a recessive mt (causing certain tail and saddle feathers not to moult). These genetics are seen in certain breeds of chickens like Tosa-Onagadori (also know as Phoenix, Onagadori, or Yokohama), and ten other longtails. These Japanese chickens are all descended from the Shokoku which is a Chinese breed.

Basically in longtails, you have a male chicken that does not moult its feathers, speed of the growth in tail feathers (saddles 30 cm and sickles 90 cm per year) is steady, the tail and the saddle feathers are not dropped or moulted and like a poodle (that don't shed), the feathers become so much longer because they are retained to keep growing and growing. About twenty tail feathers (the usual number of tail feathers in a chicken is 12) are never moulted and the average tail length is 3 to 4 metres with records at 12 metres.

My issue is do you really need over 36 feet of feather to tye a fishing fly? :D

FlyFlinger2421 said:
Saddle hackles have very long feathers with essentially the same length barbs all the way from the tip to the base and thus can be used to tie a number of flies of the same size.
So this comment certainly helps me understand the want of a consistent "length" of useable material found in the hackles/saddles. Thank you for that...you can tie up a bunch of flies in one sitting, no variations, peas in a pod...makes perfect sense now that you have explained it. Consistency, but thirty six feet?? Oh my!

I also have issues in how one would raise a bird to succeed at those tail lengths. Birds are kept in wooden boxes and their mobility is extremely limited. I am not going to raise birds like this...chickens need fresh air, dirt/sand squished under toes, birds that chase bugs, sunbath in the river sand, free range for REAL (not the fake labeling many commercial barns use!), opportunities for nipping grasses, scratching up goodies...a REAL life for them. Happy birds make happy feathers, beauty not only skin deep but radiant in the plumage they suit themselves up in.

This kind of Grizzly bird is all fly tying glory, but these ones would certainly have a sanctioned judge wondering if shown in exhibition; eye brows would be raised..."and you want this feather condition because??"

FlyFlinger2421 said:
The hen capes are primarily used for nymphs and wet flies since the barbs tend to be much softer than on the rooster capes.
Excellent, so still a use for feathers with softness over the hardness and obviously, can be dependent on gender of the chicken. So "softness" to me the Greenhorn, would not resist water as well, becoming saturated, "sponging" up water/moisture. This appears obvious if one thinks about it. :rolleyes:

FlyFlinger2421 said:
Usually the capes are sold with the skin on and treated to keep insects out.
Borax perhaps? I suspect that is a treatment used to repel insects but not make it so nasty or toxic that humans can't handle the cape feathers.

I am going to guess that feathers attached to a piece of skin would hold them in a tidy order. When you wanted a feather off the cape, you would pluck it off the skin, leaving the rest behind. The feathers would not be blood filled, not make a mess or rot. I am leaning towards not having to kill the donors of the feathers. Not very preservationalistic of us. Dead birds don't suit many breeding programs...sorta ends with them, n'est pas? LOL

FlyFlinger2421 said:
I am sure there are others that can add to this information but at least you have a start.
Thank you, yes!

FlyFlinger2421 said:
As for the other feathers. wood duck and mallard flank feathers are a common ingredient of fly patterns
The American Bantam Association Standard of Perfection calls this pattern found on the flanks of ducks vermiculated meaning "wormlike in design with irregular lines or impressions like worm tracks."

Oh watch me laugh...common ingredient of fly patterns...no, not a WORM pattern...that could never EVER work to attract fish, eh? Sorry, but it is ironic, yes?

FlyFlinger2421 said:
and you can search on Ebay to find other feathers that are being sold as well as prices.
Thank you, more places to investigate. This will take time and certainly help me see what is already out there on offer.

FlyFlinger2421 said:
Cul de Canard feathers (fluffy feathers surrounding the cloaca of a duck) are also in demand for dry fly patterns because of the natural water repellent oils.
Poultry have a preening gland on the top of their tail that supplies the oils that they use to put in their feathers. People that harvest their birds, many do not dry pluck, preferring to dunk the dead birds in hot water, basically scalding the bird and feathers. This would indeed remove the natural oils and helps me understand your preferences in how feathers are harvested. Scalding them would not be conducive to keeping the feathers useful for dry flys. I prefer dry plucking, but good to know what not to do. I get to avoid burnt fingees, noxious smells and lost feather qualities.

FlyFlinger2421 said:
Ostrich herl, pheasant tail feathers and peacock herl are some of the other feathers sought after by tiers.
Got pheasants, no ostrich, no peacocks but I do have a friend (fellow in Saskatchewan) that has good luck with large numbers of different varieties in the peacocks. I believe peacocks can be rather difficult to get to replicate and the babies are tender and not always easy to raise and yet, he makes it look far too easy. He may be a large source to investigate for herl. He does have a day job that keeps him busy but one never knows where these things may go, eh?

FlyFlinger2421 said:
Hope this helps!
Very much so, thank you kindly.

wt bash said:
WOW!!!! I'm pretty much speechless! I wouldn't know where to begin! Some here could be better help but I might look up featheremporium.com or feathersmc.com both are dealers and would be more than likely willing to see what you have, what could be used and so on. I tell you what I would love the chance to just walk the grounds and fill a bag of whatever I find cause you definitely have some unique stuff there.
OK...so some of those feathered birds got your attentions...kinda quiet but in a good way? ;)

I mean you gotta look where I come from, breeding up birds to conserve certain varieties/breeds and also to breed many to suit a Standard of Perfection, worded descriptions of how the breeds and varieties are suppose to look. Sometimes we don't quite get them to match the descriptions but the birds are still pretty. I am very certain I would be the one going WOW!!!! to see what some of you tyers would make outta some of these feathers. To Standard or not, I think one thing we can all agree on is that we admire feathers and all the variations of expression. Birds of a feather...tied together in common? LOL

Are dealers where I eventually want to go then? I have always had issues with "middle men" and no ill intent meant to these dealers as certainly they are necessary but if I grow, breed, collect/harvest the feathers once I know what fly tyers want, why do I need to use a dealer? I would have pretty much done all the "leg work" and it is a final and finished product that would only need to be sent off to its final destination. Or am I missing something from the big picture. I am very new to all this and very much uneducated about these transactions.

I think for many, it is obvious we have the poultry first because we run the Conservation Farm. This means we won't be willing to produce something, like say 500 Silver Pheasants because someone has an order to distribute that many "pounds of feathers." So far we have managed to avoid being commercial and it sounds funny but we have a personable rapore with our birds (yeh, bird brains aren't as stoopid as some people would lead you to believe...tweet tweet!).

Yes, making fly tyers happy would be a great goal, but I am not going to harvest a potential breeding bird full of healthful vigour and reduce future generations because someone tells me the only way they will accept hackle feathers is if it is sold backed by formerly living chicken skin. I understand using road kill, understand hunting and harvesting a "feathered pelt." I will gladly dry pluck, even sort feathers when we harvest a bird for consumption. Otherwise I feel the feathers are being wasted, I don't use them.

I even understand a bird passing and someone skinning it out to use the potentially wasted resource of their feathers for this marvelous fly tying hobby! Why pluck a dead bird if you are not consuming the meat? Sounds like a make work project.

wt bash said:
I hope others chime in that could give you a better answer but welcome to the forum and best of luck to you, I truly hope it works out, God knows we could use another steady supply of hackle!
Are there really issues with provisions to supply hackle feathers for this hobby. There are like 12,000 feathers on a single duck of Mallard descent. Just how many flies do you people tie??

rockriver said:
I have to second the WOW comment. I need some time to digest all the info on feathers. I'm hoping things work out for you.
Thanks, but quite honestly, I am nervous as all heck on this. Like a fish or better said, a duck outta water. I really am a babe in the woods on this topic of feathers for fly tying. I see a long journey and many wrong paths taken if I don't go real slo mo and get my (T)h(R)ead wrapped around what you people need.

I have a basic mantra that you need to smell the roses along the pathway chosen...I guess I just don't see a reason to rush into this.

Hardyreels said:
What a bunch of birds! I will send you a private message with my suggestion for becoming a business member with us here on this forum. We have members who use about every feather under the sun and it looks like you've got them.

It will be later today until I contact you but you could definitely be in the feather business.

Ard
Can I be blunt and say, WHOA! I posted because I expect this to take years, not a couple of weeks. A time honoured tradition, steeped in generations...fly tying is not going to be a hobby I just pick up and run with on a few tutorials. Like fishing, it is going to require patience.

I hope I am not breaking any forum rules, not selling anything because I don't quite know what feathers ARE sold and the why's.

I don't know lots and lots about what is required in feathers. I look at the feathers critically and would think I should toss all but the most perfectly produced feathers and I suspect I will be told that you can use even a feather damaged on one side...I remember, way long time ago, don't you strip one side of a hackle/saddle feather of barbs? Secured on the hook, wrapped round and round and secure the end. It has been decades and I suspect I would be well advised to go buy me a book on basic fly tying and get my keester in the groove here.

fly_guy12955 said:
Loved the post and pictures ! Aside from and education in fly tying feathers,,the pictures of the chickens and turkeys take me back to when I was growing up.

thanks !
Thank you, you are most welcome Mike. It is like a kid's dream...surrounded by all these chore gobbling birds. I guess we here just refused to grow up...I am still here chasing chooks and tossing corn.

Liphookedau said:
Another WOW,I can imagine the area needed to run all these Beautiful kept Birds.
My spouse made us thirty buildings, used lotsa hardware cloth, runs are in river sand topped with oat straw, five acres in the forestry reserves of the Rocky Mountains. I can send you a link to the farm website if you like...see some of the buildings on the "tour" page; the Coop fer Sure, the Duece Coop, Duck Barn, Turkey Barn, Geese Pear a Dices, Taj Mahal for the Mandarins...really quite over the top...all about keeping them safe and happy.

Liphookedau said:
It's good to see some of our Natives in Canada.
And the Natives are restless, eh?

Liphookedau said:
I was only Fishing last night & saw two Black Swans which are regulars to The Lake I Fish.
Yes, I hear in the Land Down Under, you have all the birds we can only imagine about, here in the Great White North. LOL I had to get our Ozzie swans imported...the cob is from Holland (my Dutch is non-existent, so we are not on speaking terms) and the pen is a local cross, on Alberta and Ontario genetics. Difficult to get outside strains...you guys keep a tight rein on your bounty of plenty down thar. VBG

Liphookedau said:
As Ard has mentioned there are Flies which are Tied using lots of your Feathers.
The main Flies I & many others Tie use mainly The Natural Coloured Feathers,we also dye some,whereas The Salmon Flies use The "More Fancier Feathers" although most of us don't Tie many Salmon Flies we Still keep The Feathers & occassionally use them for some of our Flies we use.
All I can say is you shouldn't have much trouble selling your Feathers as there is always in great demand for quality Feathers.
I need to understand what is quality and what you want more of so we can focus on more of the same. I'll never go psycho, but to me if you have a bird in the hand, figuring out it is something of value to a certain application, makes perfect logical sense.

Liphookedau said:
Another thing I will add which really annoyed us all is The Hair Extention Thing Took off & Capes were advertised/sold for extortionate prices,
As of late, I have been seeing some rather odd uses of feathers. I did mail off some feathers for a friend's niece that makes feathered earrings. I never pay much attention to what is in style and quite frankly, your comment makes me laugh. I always seem to find one more task to do before the afternoon school bus run time and my nightmare of all nightmares is to forget to brush my hair and pull into the bus lanes at the school only to realize I have various feather "head dress" accessories in my hair! Ack...that and straw...the kids know full well we run a bird farm but flaunting it in their faces...we do have to have some standards. No worries on my part, no "hair extension" thingy bobby by intention!

Liphookedau said:
the sellers didn't worry about us as all they could see was The Dollar Signs,& didn't worry about The Flytyer even though we were their main source of sales.
So Good Luck,all The Best.
Brian.
Fads...we see it in those that raise birds too, any livestock for that matter. What is the next great popular bird? Who will cash in on the next peak in the wave in a breed or variety. For those of us that are serious, we like what we like because WE like it. You can't have a fickle temperament and have any quality that takes years and generations of focused attentions to keep going. The flash in the pan customers are not your bread and butter and it is the steady eddies that will pay your bills and keep you floating when times take a dive and they always do. Loyalty commands respect.

Raising birds and fly tying do have commonalities...both are hobbies and nobody I know gets rich on sheer fun. My husband restores vintage vehicles and that hobby has its fair share of vultures too, if you are not careful. Lots and lots of really good people too. The common thread in our hobbies is people and their actions can make or break the fun times.

Alll I can say is :surprise: and *drool*

I want matched tail feathers in high quality from your heritage turkeys
*drool*
omg
*drool* turkey *drool*
OK, can I be mean and drive you over the edge...???? Here is the last page from our Christmas letter this year...what you think now? How can you choose just one set of matched tail feathers in that dozen? <<bwah ha ha>>

Twelve drummer Turkeys drumming...

Turkeys strutting their stuff and BOOM BOOM BOOMING!!!

Can you find the STRUTTING turkey hen...yes, in that dozen Boomer Drummers, there is a SHE, a hen turkey...which one is SHE expressing her dominance??

Diver Dan said:
Holy smokes! Yes you have enough there to get a really good jump in the fly tying feather business.
Hmmm, a question I never asked but thought about...how many feathers of one kind are too many. I mean like the cape feathers in a Red Golden pheasant male are gorgeous BUT if you bought a whole cape, it is like you would never ever need to buy that kind of feather again. Is that the objective or do you find people that sell feathers in a, going to make up a kinda phrase, a "grab bag of Red Golden Pheasant" feathers. Do sellers of feathers do that...send you six cape, dozen chest, some down, paired up tail feathers...or is this a waste of effort because tyers use such varying quantities. Do you tie up, say twenty of one fly, ten of another, might as well go production line when you have a good thing on the go?

I would expect if you had never used a specific type of fly on your fav fishing spot, so would not know if it worked like jazzy, but if it did, that would be the fly to hook the impossible snag and never come loose to return back. Then I'd certainly want at least six of one type of a hot numbered fly, proven now of course.

Diver Dan said:
You should take up Ard (Hardyreels) on the info and the business membership. We have right no somewhere in the area of 37,000 members a lot of whom (who?) tie flies. You may even be able to start breeding some of what you have towards better and smaller barbed hackles and give some of the fly companies a run for their money. Especially since we are not that happy with them (some of us anyway) after the hair extension craze.
You are scaring me...hee hee. I won't be of business classification for a good few years from now. I am doing my post here to begin to understand your needs. I don't expect to learn this quickly. I have many unanswered questions and WAY too much to learn to give "fly companies a run for their money" and it don't help much that I have that hobby mentality. It has to be fun...stuffing packets full of feathers in some dingy warehouse sounds full of drudgery. Staying small, personable, willing to work with the end users; that sounds to me more exciting and useful to the cause. I think I would freak if even one percent of your membership tried to contact me for feathers...

I have visions of masses of naked birds...birds running and hiding..."NOT her again...she don't love us...she wants to steal our clothes and sell them to, to, to attract FISH! Oh the humanity!"

I'm going to toddle along here, by the generous grace of the people willing to post here to help get me up to speed. Understand your art form, realize your wants, see if I can breed up some rather weirder than normally what I do already in the birds. I'm sorry but some of those bantam roos are really cute...the feather patterns have me marveling and wondering, what could you people tie up with some of those cuckoo/barred, autosomal red on a wild type base hackles.

theboz said:
Double what Dan said! Dang you have a bunch of birds! Hook up with Ard on the business end. My money says you will have many customers with that kind of variety! Guys that tie are always searching for new outlets.
Would it scare you to say I don't have much respect for money? Lots of us can relate that with our hobbies, they could not PAY us to be this devoted. HA! I do however realize that the feed store, the building supply, the book store that sends me genetics textbooks; they don't give you charity, so I gotta make dough to buy bird seed, keep the wolves from eating thru the buildings, buy books to study, and pay the power bill to pump the drinking water, hang heat lamps, and run the incubator in the summer to hatch copious quantities of more birds.

We already got off farm jobs, most of us supplement our hobbies and if the sale of a product like the feathers from the birds can generate some income to buy bird seed...oh the tons and tons of back breaking bags of bird foods I have packed...then I would be a very happy camper indeed.

I am not ready to go biz. I don't even understand the BIZ...what or even IF what we have going on suits the clientelle...time will tell and hopefully you here on this forum will humour my hesitation. I really do appreciate the interest and encouragement, but I need to take this slow so I can fully understand what the wants are that you need filled and whether or not we can offer that. I hate disappointment, enough of that in life as it is without putting a rush on going commercial on this.

How do you store your feathers once you acquire them?

I have asked how their feathers arrive to you (maybe I need to buy some product...won't that make me laugh...me buying feathers--not enough here already? Enough!), nobody has voiced a comment on that...are feathers sent to you packed in plain paper, plastic sealed, tin foil? I do know feathers compost as we have many in the oat straw bedding and this we compost into our pastures, the end of the quill is the last part to degrade. Geese and swan feathers are the toughest, turkey wing and tail feathers too.

Is there a shelf life, past storing them in perfect conditions, I mean feathers are protein and so long as we can keep bugs, rodents, mold, mildew, excessive heat (would they store well in a freezer or is that just me stupid talking?)...

Do the brilliant metallic sheens stay that way when used in fly tying...I mean I guess I could try and see how these feathers l00k underwater too...some of these heritage turkey feathers are spectacular, but in the air, no idea if the effect works bobbing on water or under it.

Wavy webbed swanny feathers, in black, twisted feathers, the shaft, quill, I expect a waved feather to have applications, maybe limited ones, but might suit some fly tying projects I expect.

What are popular colours, what are popular patterns? Maybe this is a question that does have to be answered after years of providing feathers to the masses. Statistics complied after some years go by. I ask because it would tell me, what colours and patterns should I breed up in the birds. I want to do this slowly and it has to be this way because it does take years to breed, select and make more of something that is popular. When I don't know, I can't plan to have the feathers you want in the future.

Again, thanks for the warm welcomes and the WOW factors are humbling to receive.

Doggone & Hackles UP!

Tara

williamhj

Reaction score
I too did some drooling looking at that collection of feathers. Very nice! Many of the feathers we buy are attached to skins (be they parts of skins or whole birds). But some are pre-plucked. This includes many different duck feathers, partridge, pheasant, and hackles used for dry flies and streamers to name a few I have in my materials boxes.

If there is a fly shop in your area, or if you can connect with some fly tiers personally, that might be a good way for you to learn what you need to know without needing to become a prolific tier yourself. You can give them feathers and show them your set-up and they can give you feedback based on our needs and preferences. I have no idea what it takes to get into the feather industry, but would love some hours walking around your property with some baggies :)

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
If you want to see how we get feathers start looking at fly tying material dealers. They come in plastic bags. You may want to buy a hackle gauge just to see what kind of hackle those roosters are growing. Featherws properly stored last a really really long time.

pszy22

Reaction score
Again, WOW! You know your feathers and birds!

Good news is, it's easy to do "market research", there is a ton of information regarding what is being currently sold. Taking a look at what is out there, combined with what you already know, coming up with a "business plan" shouldn't be a problem.

Here are a couple of sites that should help you get a good overview of what folks current sell (and use) -

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing :: Feathers

Whiting

Of course, at least for the next couple of days, the real money in feathers is in the fashion industry. Granted this is probably a very short term fad, but it might be something you can jump into immediately if you are so inclined -

https://www.hacklehair.com/

THe nice thing about selling feathers, they are light and easy to ship. If you have an interest, I'd very much encourage you to start online and soon, and see where things take you.

have fun,

klunker

Reaction score
I notice that your 1st concern is preservation of varieties and breeds. To some degree this maybe at odds with raising birds strictly for feathers. As mentioned alot of what tyers want and this maybe is key, what they are used to getting is patches of skin with the feathers attached. This comment is aimed at the sale of hackles for certain chickens. The most profitable sales item I would suspect. That being said I think there is a big market for feathers that are harvested without killing the birds to get them.

As I see it you have to either sell the same type of stuff that is currently being sold and in the current method of being sold or you have to make/start new markets for new sales items or methods of sale. I doubt most here really care about the lives of individual chickens. They maybe concerned about the preservation of a certain breed that is in demand for tying only as long its around to continue to supply them feathers. This mind set is at odds with your goals.

This doesn't mean that you can't sell what you have. It does mean that you might have a harder time selling certain items in different than exist methods.

To start I would investigate the current methods and market for feathers. To do this I would suggest a visit to a fly fishing store to get an idea of what is currently sold, how its sold and pricing on such items. This will give you an idea of what types of loose feathers are readily available to introduce for immediate sales.

Also if you could see if they might have fly tying demonstrations or any other gatherings of fly tyers. Then you might want to bring some loose feathers of lots of types and colors. This will give you a wealth of info. This would also give you ideas on what other stuff you have that might be salable. After your 1st meeting you should have a better idea on what is desired and why. Then to your next meeting you could narrow down exact items that are wanted and you can continue to refine what you have and how to sell it. I am sure there are some loose feathers from some of your poultry that would work for various applications that are not really being supplied now. You might also be able to get a booth to sell a volume of stuff at one time at one of these shows/meetings.

As far as selling on a continuous basis I would suggest setting up a website. I might suggest you visit this website as an Idea of how a one man show can do this. This guy makes synthetic items and that's pretty much all he sells. You could easily do the same with feathers as your focus. Fly Tying Materials | Fly Tying Recipes | Fly Tying Supplies | Fly Tyers Dungeon | Fly Tying Supplies

Some other sales point might be craft stores. You will see feathers being sold for various projects there and the quality demand will not be as high.

Hope this helps.