The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road
Default scratches on your reel

So I have the hardy ultralite 4000dd and over the past 6 months the bottom of the reel and spool have become scratched and nicked from being placed on the rocks and stream beds around here (boulder creek and Big T mainly). I dont know why but at first it didnt really bother me, but now I wonder if it was a mistake to be so careless with it...

Anyways how do you guys manage these things? Do you avoid placing the reel in the stream/on rocks while fishing? Do you not care as long as its not damaged to where its no longer usable?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: scratches on your reel

If it's expensive handle it like a baby, if not, who cares.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I actually welcome that first scratch....it takes the pressure off and lets me fish as hard as I want without worrying about how pretty it is.

Every scratch/scuff is a memory of some outing, fish, or mishap. Embrace em...
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I agree with brookfield.... embrace 'em. If it is so precious/ too expensive/ non-replaceable/ etc. I suppose I wouldn't be fishing it in the first place. It is the pristine outing, not the pristine gear that makes this what it is.
imxer and dean_mt like this.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

No matter how wonderful the gear is we use (and I do love and appreciate good gear), it pales in comparison to the wonderful outdoors the Good Lord let's us play in. Keeping the stream pristine and trash free is as important,,more so really, than keeping ME or my gear pristine. A couple times I've gotten muddy sliding down a bank to get some other persons Mt Dew can and carry it out..just an example there.

That said, it does take a slob to abuse good gear of any type. But abuse and 'use' doesn't look the same...USE looks fine.

Use it, use it wisely and prudent,,beyond that,,it WILL age,,,but in a good way !

Mike
Old 12-20-2012, 09:24 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

scratches on your reel? oh no! hope you didn't break a nail while fishing too!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

A little harsh, itchmesir, but I agree with the gist of your statement.

I have one favorite rod that I use 90+% of my fishing ... for the past 12 years, and it was a top dollar rod in it's day. My Battenkill reel on that rod is at least 15 years old and it shows! And I like it. There is a groove in the plate across the bottom worn from fly line. And most importantly it still works just fine. I've dropped that rod and reel while scrabbling down cliffs, slammed the reel into rocks on hard falls ... while I am not hard on my equipment persay, I do use it. Scratches and scars are the cost of doing business.

I won't own a peice of fishing equipment, or any tool, that has to be babied or pampered.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

x2 for a bit harsh, I read the questioner asking if there's potential for damage to the reel, maybe like storing a wet rod zipped in a tube. I'd worry about it is if it somehow exposed the reel to corrosion. Perhaps this could be a concern for some reels fishing salt? Don't fish salt so I don't know. With my reels I don't worry about it.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

I'm pretty ginger about how I set my stuff down but I'm sure there's a few on all my rods. I've never really minded one way or another. I do pride myself on taking good care of my stuff. Some of my rods are 20 years old.

I wouldn't sweat it if their performance is still good.

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

As long as your reel still works, let the inadvertent scratches come as they may. I do throw a neoprene cover on my reels when not using them in the boat, but besides that, you may have to drop your reel in the drink or the bank for a hero shot of a fish of a lifetime. No one ever admired someone's ability to keep their reel pristine
imxer and mcnerney like this.