The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Stripping baskets

Up until my recent trip to Florida, I never really felt the need for a stripping basket.

The amount of line snagging vegetation along almost every body of water down there make me rethink my previous feelings on them, though so I am starting to take a more serious look at them.

One major key difference I notice between all stripping baskets is spikes, or the lack thereof. What is everyone's preference in regards to these spikes? Need them or don't?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Stripping baskets

Need them! I've got one for salt and one for fresh. I even retrofitted my William Joseph with spikes but I don't use them unless fishing big rivers. Last time I fished in the salt, I noticed a big difference in having the stripping basket fishing in a canoe in the marshes. In a boat a big stripping drum is superior to the bare deck.
Guest1 and fredaevans like this.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Do you have the WJ mesh basket? If so, how did you do the retrofit for spikes?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

The Orvis seems to be the most popular here and is my favorite. Definitely need the spikes. I even have an Ikea step stool with heavy duty zip ties used as the spikes, it works ok but is a little shallow.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Unless you're spey fishing, the Orvis basket IMHO is the best one out there. The L.L. Bean is too wide. If you double haul you'll hit your hand on the downward haul.

This is definately a time where it worth it's to spend a little more money and get something you'll be happy with the rest of your fishing days.

Randy
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:58 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Unless you're spey fishing, the Orvis basket IMHO is the best one out there. The L.L. Bean is too wide.

Randy
Now that's an interesting comment. I don't think I've ever seen a person with a 2hander use a stripping basket. Any of the 'spey community' use one?

For a couple of ideas for DIY's:
45fisher and paulw2 like this.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Unless you're spey fishing, .....Randy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Now that's an interesting comment. I don't think I've ever seen a person with a 2hander use a stripping basket. Any of the 'spey community' use one?
I am an oddball on this one and almost always do. But I don't swing flies most of the time either. The water is not fast enough to swing flies here so I strip just like you would a single hander. I'm putting casts out well over a hundred feet so if I didn't use a stripping Basket I would be surrounded by line by the time I got the fly in. I use a basket I made myself. It hangs low on my left hip. I do it kind of like the old west holster. I have the belt with two straps hanging down to the basket. Then the basket has a strap low on it that goes around my leg.

I also have to go with spikes. Or in my case loops of weed whacker line. First photo is of my basket I use with a two hander;
Click the image to open in full size.
If I were on a bigger fast river where I was swinging flies for Steelhead I'd leave this home..... nope, in the car. Getting back to Fred's and Randy's comments. I have never seen a two hand guy using a stripping basket ever. So my curiousity is also peaked. Randy, are you using one also?

When I use a single hand rod I almost always use a stripping basket also, because this is big water here and this "30 to 40 foot casts are all you need" sentiment does not apply here. A basket really does help. You don't need to go out and buy a really spendy one either. I had one I made from a plastic basket I got at a dollar store. I made the loops from weed whacker line I picked up from the ground where the lawn guy tried whacking around the rocks and fence at the neighbors house. He lost a lot of line. I made the hanger for my belt out of an aluminum finger splint from when I accidentally ran my middle finger between the fly wheel and starter gear of my boat motor. Have a funny story about that one. Anyway, I had a whole dollar invested in that basket. I lost the finger splint when I caught a big Pike one day ( was distracted and must have dropped it and stomped it into the mud ) so I ended up replacing it with some web strap and a Crocodile clip. You can see The finger splint in this photo;

If you are doing real long casts and there are snaggy weeds and whatnot, a basket is really needed.

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of damaged lines are the result of stepping on them.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:58 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Definately need the spikes. I use the Orvis basket because I bought it used at a yard sale. Before that I used a Rubbermaid tub. I used loops of plastic wire (from my weedwacker) through the botton of the tub. I do agree with Randy, the LL Bean is too wide and the edges aren't molded over like the Orvis. If you fish in the cold and nick the edges with your fingers you woun't be happy
Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road

I have to ask, what are spikes? The idea of a stripping basket is growing on me, as my boat has a million things the line gets snagged on when casting.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by codypom View Post
I have to ask, what are spikes? The idea of a stripping basket is growing on me, as my boat has a million things the line gets snagged on when casting.
The pegs, or spikes coming up from the bottom help keep the line coiled in the basket so it doesn't turn into a knotted mess. If you look at Dan's last pic he has those blue plastic loops coming up from the bottom. They do the same thing.
Guest1 likes this.