The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Ever had a really one off call from your Auto Ins. Co's? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/305918-ever-had-really-one-off-call-your-auto-ins-cos.html)

fredaevans 12-22-2012 06:07 PM

Ever had a really one off call from your Auto Ins. Co's?

I'll leave names out of this, but I have one of 'those' plug in things under my dash board. Records every time you drive, how fast, yada-yada and reports back via (so I'm told) via cell phone towers.

Anyway, sitting here on the computer and cell phone rings.

My usual "Good Afternoon/morning/what-ever" and "Mr. Evans?

"Yes."

"This is xyz from abc. Did you drive your Jeep Liberty anywhere on Thursday?"

''No, why do you ask?"

"May I ask why not?"

'Weathers the pits, fishing, if you'll excuse the verbage the shxts, so just .. yada-yada. But why are you asking?"

And this is where the conversation really started to get 'interesting.':eek:

'Do you own a second automobile?' 'No, just the Jeep.' What's the license plat number?' A hang on, I'm on my cell phone and I'll have to walk out and look.'

'Per your 'Snapshot' you haven't driven the automobile for almost the past five days, would that be correct?'

'Ya, etc.'

'We've had a claim submitted that said the vich was in a major 'at fault' traffic accident on Thursday morning.... but the 'Snapshot' says the vich. hadn't move two days before or two days after and there was no interruption of service (what ever the hell that means), is that correct?'

Whooa! Let's back up and start this all over again!!!:faint::eek:'Have someone come out and look at my car; zip damage anywhere!'

Rest of the conversation was darned informative. End game of all of this is KEEP YOU'RE BUTT COVERED!!!!

fae

wt bash 12-22-2012 06:20 PM

Re: Ever had a really one off call from your Auto Ins. Co's?

I was a little leery of that that type of insurance gizmo but it sounds like it might have kept you out of some potentially hot water!

ditz 12-22-2012 06:26 PM

Can anyone say 'Big Brother"? ....This is some scary stuff.

fredaevans 12-22-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ditz (Post 509415)
Can anyone say 'Big Brother"? ....This is some scary stuff.

Not in the least. You can go on line and look at 'your records.' Says when you drove, how fast-how far, acceleration/breaking ... but not where, just when.

Fluffs your Puppy? Just unplug same. Me/mine? I have no problem with that and my coverage was just renewed (days before the above) and the 6 month prem dropped just under 23 percent. Not expensive before, far less now.

mcnerney 12-22-2012 06:41 PM

Fred: Very interesting to say the least!

Larry

fredaevans 12-22-2012 07:17 PM

"Insurance," by definition is 'laying off risk.' You pay, don't work out so good (shxt happens) and they pay. Their game is far more than not, will not.

TMI, but one of my Master Degrees is in 'Statics.' You read the 'numbers' and saw well???? The only thing you can't bet against is Mom Nature. She will screw you over every time.

So, you just don't offer that kind of coverage there? An example of that is 'wind damage.' How do you define that in the policy? On the Florida Coast one way, in Oregon quite another. Years back I had one of those for the roof of the vineyard storage shed (not the correct word, just a roof covering the tractors/fork lifts). USAA didn't blink sending out one of their contractors to replace same.

Weather was attrochs (sp?) as the crew was working/replacing same. Activated the adjoining building (heat, hot water-showers, coffee pot, pottie, etc). Watching these poor guys working to replace and 'every thing' above went active ASAP.

Fired up the fork lift to move the allie roof sheets (you had to see what these guys had to do to get one on the replacement roof!!:eek:) and there was 'Joy.' Done and I chucked them dry coveralls while their clothing was in the driers (equipment shed and house) and fed them a huge meal.

Heard back a couple months later the bill to USAA was close to zero;l just materials.

"Pass it forward?"

bigjim5589 12-22-2012 07:39 PM

Fred, I can relate to the experience about having a device like that on your vehicle. I don't on my personal vehicles, but I drive a tractor trailer for a living & it's equipped with an on board computer that keeps track of my logs. (Logs are required by law.) It's also got a GPS system built in & records all kinds on operational information. I was once accused of a hit & run in the truck, but like you there was no damage to my truck & the GPS showed that I was in a different state at the time of the alleged accident. Needless to say the company told the other party to pack sand! :rolleyes:

Guest1 12-22-2012 09:43 PM

I had the first and only accident in my entire life this last Spring. I was hit lightly in the rear end by a women about 9.25 months pregnant in her husbands brand new truck. I was coming out of a McDonald's parking lot and she just barely tapped the drivers side rear corner. She gets out and bursts into serious tears. I told her no need for tears, that was what insurance was for. I had never even been in one as a passenger bofore that.

fredaevans 12-23-2012 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 509470)
I had the first and only accident in my entire life this last Spring. I was hit lightly in the rear end by a women about 9.25 months pregnant in her husbands brand new truck. I was coming out of a McDonald's parking lot and she just barely tapped the drivers side rear corner. She gets out and bursts into serious tears. I told her no need for tears, that was what insurance was for. I had never even been in one as a passenger bofore that.

Few and far between DD; but had my share. Last was a "T-Bone" to my Jeep. Guy came off a side street and hit me so hard it (I kid you not) ripped all four tyres off the car. I didn't know that was possible.

No 'damage' to me, but my poor Dog wouldn't (he was standing next to me in the back doing nose 'snuggles') get into the rental car, or the Jeep for that matter, for close to a year.

Fellow was 'The 8 ball into the corner pocket.' :eek:

Guest1 12-23-2012 04:06 AM

Ouch! That sounds brutal. I have been really lucky. Had some really close ones but managed to sneak out of them. The one that would have been the worst if we had been involved in it was in Oceanside California when I was still married to Jabba the Ex. (She was still skinny at this point :D) We were headed home and she was driving. It was rush hour and other than the turn off lanes the traffic was going pretty fast. 65ish. A guy setting still in the turn off lane next to last exit into Oceanside, driving an 18 wheeler hauling Gas, decides he has set there long enough. He pulls right in front of the oncoming traffic. A guy in a pickup that had oversized tires and was jacked off the ground where he must have needed a damn step stool for getting the wife in, turns hard for the fast side of the highway and rolls up on two tires then starts to spin. Cars start hitting each other all over the place. I look past the wife and see the truck has spun into the fast lane and is pointing the wrong way, just in time to get hit head on. I'll bet in under 10 seconds there were 15 cars in that accident. The only two I saw miss all of it was the idiot that started it and us. She wheeled right through the whole mess like Mario Andretti and never got so much as a scratch on the car. What an ugly pile up it was though. We got the plate number from the truck and went straight to CHP office in Oceanside and told them he would be coming out the other side of Camp Pendleton shortly. It's a wonder someone didn't get killed in that mess. It was also a testiment to how badly a truck handles when you jack them up off the ground an extra three friggin feet.