The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 08:43 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ethics question

I guess I would have to ask "Who wouldn't try for it?" I agree that is is a pot stirring post, but really would anyone not try for this fish?
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:45 AM

akruss will become famous soon enough

I had such an opportunity about a year and a half ago on the Bighorn River in Montana. I fished the Trico hatch with size 20 and 22 flys and 6X tippets with a 4 weight fly rod. It was very challenging fishing. I landed a number of trout in the high teens and had a smaller number of 20 plus inch trout on but could not bring them to net. The tippet is just one issue - another is the strength of the hooks. None of the fish I landed were particularly tired and swam well after reviving them for a bit. The larger trout were brutes and straightened, broke or pulled the hook free or popped the tippet. If I found I was killing the trout, ethics would require that one stop doing so, of course.
mcnerney and Kerry Pitt like this.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

That's how you fish a spring creek where I come from. Hook it play it like you don't have 7x if you lose it so what you got it to take. You'd be surprised by what you can do with 7x if you forget its 7x. Fight the fish smart, turn it when you get the opportunity and run it straight into a net, game over. Is it an epic battle worthy of a magazine spread...no but you got a 20 inch fish to rise to #20 (or under) fly that should be game enough.
mrfzx and jaybo41 like this.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:09 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I read one of Ard's posts where he fished for Kings with a 7wt rod because he had intended to fish for sockeye that day. He apologized for that and it started me "thinking" about my fly fishing here in Colorado.
Sure would like a definition of "pot stirring". It seems to me kinda like the same thing as getting someone to think about what they do or don't do.
As long as they think about things like this, it really doesn't matter what their decision is because they are comfortable in their own skin and can defend their choice.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Well,,if a 7x tippet is all you have,,and you didnt bring any cherry bombs or dynamite then,,,,,OK OK,,just joking ! (was just thinking of an old Jerry CLower story !)

They gave this guy,,umm ,,,this was,,,20 years ago maybe,,,that was blasting strippers down on Claytor Lake to get 'tropheys' to sell to rich old 'sportsmen'.....a sentence about as much as if he'd murdered someone. (I cant remember now,, exactly how many years but it was a lot) I wish they'ed gave him another year on top of forever. But that stuff really did used to go on though,,,I've heard the stories from the old timers and it must'a been kinda common way back when. I just can't wrap my mind around just wanting the fish so bad I'd blow'em up to get'em. Unless times were so hard I was starving. Even then......

Mike
Old 12-23-2012, 08:32 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

No problem. I never carry 7x. So, I'd use 6x. Ethics with playing a fish all boils down to landing a fish quickly and releasing it properly. Playing a fish with light pressure to exhaustion is wrong. Apply pressure, and if it breaks off no big deal. Hooking it was the big deal...

Last edited by dillon; 12-24-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Does anyone know of a study that compares the length of time that a fish is played to mortality rate? Seems like there should be some.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:23 AM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road

I don't think it would be an issue. Nobody on this site wakes up and says "Hey, I think I'm going to go out today and try to kill a few trout"

If you do it smart then you shouldn't have any problems with it. I have fished trout for almost my entire life and I can honestly say, I have never killed a trout by playing it too long. If you are gentle with them and help them get revived when releasing them then they are good to go. We have caught trout on some small line down in the Ozarks and you can still get them in fairly easily without breaking it or hurting the fish.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
Does anyone know of a study that compares the length of time that a fish is played to mortality rate? Seems like there should be some.
This is about bass, mostly. Still interesting reading.

http://fishandboat.com/images/fisher..._mortality.pdf

and another:

Catch and Release Mortality (Part 2) | Wolverine Fly Fishing Journal
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

To many variables! That's why it's part pot stirrer part who knows? Wide open water no obstructions who knows! I'm sure its been done. I'm sure ther have been breakoffs . Probably many fish brought to net on light tippets and released fine. Ethics cannot be standardized in this situation. Only way to know is to go for it , I would and judge for myself!

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

When ethics get that technical it's time to play golf !
Guest1 and jhardin80 like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser