The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ethics question

Here's one study http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...xt=ncfwrustaff

Here's another http://www.flyfishinginmaine.org/assets/cnr_afs.pdf

To quote Ed Shenk "Know what your tackle will do, and then do it". If you feel like its wrong don't do it, if you're afraid of playing a fish to death on light tippet then you're not fighting them the right way, light tippets don't kill trout, poor angling does. Take in account the variables, water temp, flow, and the most important your ability as an angler.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:53 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

If fishing tippet others would generally consider "undergunned" then the angler has the opportunity or responsibility, depending on your outlook, to just break the fish off if the fight starts stretching out.

If he plays the fish aggressively enough and knows how, then he'll either land it quickly or break it off....either way, everybody wins.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
That's why it's part pot stirrer part who knows?
Attempts to divide into two groups under the guise of ethics is pot stirring. So it is part pot stirring and part pot stirring. Like the felt use in felt ban areas. Keeping fish in catch and release areas. Do those subjects ring a bell? :mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
and the most important your ability as an angler.
Absolutely. +1.
cattech89 and theboz like this.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:47 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

I don't understand the issue. You didn't say it was catch and release only, so why not try for the biggest brute you can find and play him until you can get him in the net - or on shore. Kill the fish and be thankful for some fine food caught by your own hand.

In the early days of Nylon leaders, a 5x was 0.5lb test. In order to hook and land most large trout, you had to be skillful and play the fish until it was on its side, then you killed it quickly. Fish weren't windup toys, they were treated as a game animal, with respect; and killed and eaten with respect and thanks.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 12-24-2012, 02:54 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
I don't understand the issue. You didn't say it was catch and release only, so why not try for the biggest brute you can find and play him until you can get him in the net - or on shore. Kill the fish and be thankful for some fine food caught by your own hand.

In the early days of Nylon leaders, a 5x was 0.5lb test. In order to hook and land most large trout, you had to be skillful and play the fish until it was on its side, then you killed it quickly. Fish weren't windup toys, they were treated as a game animal, with respect; and killed and eaten with respect and thanks.
The only issue for me with your scenario is the chance of playing a fish to death and still losing it at the landing. Then you'd have a dead fish in the water and no dinner. Doesn't sound like you lost many...I don't like to eat em so much, so the release is always in my mind.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:11 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I & many others would go along with what Kerry has said.
Maybe we could Land The Fish,maybe we might not ??? as said before it's the ability of The Angler
Brian.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:32 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I guess I'm missing the point of this whole 'thinnest tippet' exercise.
Why do people use such thin lines? Is it some kind of self-imposed handicap?
Bragging rights?
Do people feel they can land a fly more accurately with a thin tippet? Cast it further?
Do you get more strikes with really thin line? Hook more fish?
Something else?
Help me here, please.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:38 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Pelican, tippet size is based on size of the fly. Typically I fish a #16 with 5x from 18 to 20 I go with 6x anything smaller and its down to the dreaded 7x. When fishing the small stuff the light tippet compliments the size of the fly and the spookiness of the fish.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:01 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Pelican, tippet size is based on size of the fly. Typically I fish a #16 with 5x from 18 to 20 I go with 6x anything smaller and its down to the dreaded 7x. When fishing the small stuff the light tippet compliments the size of the fly and the spookiness of the fish.
So it's that you get better presentation?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:38 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Do the best that your skill and judgement will give you. But know this, there are always variables in anything you do. I'd do as best as my skill and judgement would allow me, then if things didn't go to my best expectations, I'd not be seeking therapy over it. When you play/work in the wild, there are no absolute guarantees.

There is one guarantee,,when you get emotions high on a message board you will get an argument. That's a negative thing. We are outdoor brothers, not a bunch'a politicians !

2 cents worth there.
Mike