The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 02:28 AM

rogue runner is on a distinguished road
Default what would you take with you

Merry Christmas everyone.

My sister and her family from out of town came over for dinner tonight. And my very mature 8 year old nephew, who is a fishing fool tells me that he has started fly fishing. Now being a some what of a fly fishing nut myself, we start talking. And he expresses allot of interest in tying flies. We end up out in my reloading/fly tying room and WoW he has allot of natural ability. So I have decided to help him get set up and started.

The kicker.

He and his family are leaving for Russia on January 6 where his dad will be managing a cattle operation. I discussed it with his parents and they thought it was a wonderful Idea for a hobby for him. not only the tying but also the gathering of materials. Not to mention there is some phenomenal fishing where they are going.

I'm a novice fly tier but I want to help him as much as I can. So I plan on taking him to town after Christmas and picking him up a fly tying kit. Beyond that I'm not real sure what to get him besides obviously hooks and thread. The area they are going to be in is two hours from town and they are mainly small villages. And I can imagine supplies will be non existent, and they tell me the fastest you can expect an order is over a month.

If you where going to be in that same situation what would you take with you? assuming that you where eight years old. And could anyone recommend materials of a more universal nature?

From what I hear, he will be fishing either rivers or creeks (not sure of size) so my guess is trout and steel head, maybe gray ling but I don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Meep....Meep.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:15 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: what would you take with you

Hey there
Merry Christmas

If I was starting out, first thing first, no kits. The equipment is just fair and the materials are usually substandard. Start small and gather things that are actually needed for specific patterns or variations.

I would suggest a good beginner vice, around 40 or 50 bucks, and then the basic tools, bobbin, scissors, whip finisher. Threads, tinsel round and flat. Hooks in the size 10 or 12 not too small.

As far as materials, I would recommend a brown or rusty cape with decent hackles. You can get partial capes that are cheaper. Look for the earthy tones. Most trout food is in the browns, greys, beiges, or blacks.

Peacock herl is a trout favorite and easy to use. Maybe a couple little packs of dubbin in the earthy tones.

After that you can scrounge bits of fur, wool, or even polyester to beef up the materials for cheap.

As many have said its better to target a couple basic patterns with a little better materials than get a whole bunch of stuff that really doesn't get the job done. Ready made kits are notorious for being a waste ground of materials that may have sat around or are not that good a quality.

good luck
mcnerney and billyspey like this.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:33 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

peacock herl, black and white grizzley hackle, brown hackle, maribou (various colors), small copper wire, small silver wire, thread, chenille, zlon, rabbit zonkers, a dubbing 12-pack, elk hair, phaesant tail, turkey tail, and the tools to tie some flies. You can tie a bunch of effective patterns with just this stuff and it wont break the bank.

I tied for many years on a $40 cabelas tool kit - they are not perfect, but they work, I have upgraded my vice, but still use some of the tools, an the vice still does duty as my travelling vice.

Dave
mcnerney likes this.

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:23 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

in addition to what others have said, some bucktail in natural white and brown as well as dyed red, yellow, black, olive. You can probably get a pack of assorted colors.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

in addition to what others have said, some bucktail in natural white and brown as well as dyed red, yellow, black, olive. You can probably get a pack of assorted colors. And some streamer hooks.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pick up a copy of Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying and show him how to navigate to Charlie's Fly Box and the fly tying instructional videos on YouTube.......hopefully he will have access to the Internet, if not the book will go a long ways.

Larry

Old 12-25-2012, 10:58 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"He and his family are leaving for Russia on January 6 where his dad will be managing a cattle operation."

Now that sounds like a hell of an adventure! The idea of the Russian's hiring an American to run a cattle ranch some place in, well Russia, totally fascinates me! (May we be so bold as to ask for 'details?')

Good materials list(s) above, but I'm going to toss in two other ideas. First, where they're going, does FedEx deliver there? If he needs future supplies (probably I'd hope!) I wouldn't count on their mail system. UK, France, well 95% of Western Europe, I can get a package delivered via the USPS/Their system in 7 to 12 business days. In the total Boonies in Russia?????? Never had the occasion to try.

But as to equipment, don't get him a 'cheap vice,' get him a reasonably good one that will services his needs for years to come. A cheap one will only frustrate him in very quick time. Also knowing he's got 'real equipment' in front of him will keep him 'focused' for a lack of a better word.

Just picture him now teaching the local kids ....

Edit: Just noticed you're located in Southern Oregon. I'm in White City, a tad north of Medford, close?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:29 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

A Danvise will hold a wide range of hooks. I have been using one for several years now. Even a good used Thompson A would be a good start. Congo hair would be a decent sub. for bucktail. Some natural deer body hair would be good too. Size 6 thread in black and white. Even a few sheets of craft foam and craft fur. Some lead wire and bead chain eyes in medium and large are needed.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:02 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

A simple AA Vise will do everything that he would need to do as a beginner tyer.. they can be picked up for $20 or less I'd imagine.. I still have mine.. was the first vise i started using.. and works as a solid backup when my other vise is out of commission
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:22 PM

rogue runner is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for your input thus far.

Details:

As most of us know, the Russian government has millions upon millions of pristine untouched acres of grassland(many of which have never seen a footprint). But no livestock industry to speak of, and no expertise in establishing one. So they are buying American cattle, and hiring American cowboys to go over there and get them started. The group that my brother in-law is working for is made up of seven ranches that are 70,000 acres each. And each ranch has an American manager, and a Russian manager who they hope will eventually take over. At this point all the hands if you can call them that, will be hired on a daily basis from the local towns.(which sounds like a train wreck in its self)

So yes, 70,000 acres 7000 head, no roads, no fences, one set of corrals, one American cow horse and the rest Russian pony's, no actual hands except for my niece and nephew, and the best equipment money can buy. Sounds like one heck of an adventure.

As far as shipping goes, my understanding is that most company's wont ship there. so we will have to ship it to them ourselves. But I guess its not that reliable because every thing is delivered by taxi. On the up side, they will be coming home every six months for ten days so they can keep their visa's.

Fred

Yes I am close, just south of shady cove.

Meep....Meep.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue runner View Post
Thank you very much for your input thus far.

Details:

As most of us know, the Russian government has millions upon millions of pristine untouched acres of grassland(many of which have never seen a footprint). But no livestock industry to speak of, and no expertise in establishing one. So they are buying American cattle, and hiring American cowboys to go over there and get them started. The group that my brother in-law is working for is made up of seven ranches that are 70,000 acres each. And each ranch has an American manager, and a Russian manager who they hope will eventually take over. At this point all the hands if you can call them that, will be hired on a daily basis from the local towns.(which sounds like a train wreck in its self)

So yes, 70,000 acres 7000 head, no roads, no fences, one set of corrals, one American cow horse and the rest Russian pony's, no actual hands except for my niece and nephew, and the best equipment money can buy. Sounds like one heck of an adventure.

As far as shipping goes, my understanding is that most company's wont ship there. so we will have to ship it to them ourselves. But I guess its not that reliable because every thing is delivered by taxi. On the up side, they will be coming home every six months for ten days so they can keep their visa's.

Fred

Yes I am close, just south of shady cove.
My candidate for "Post of the Day."

Shady Cove, 15 minutes up the Road. Several of us 'Fly Flickers' in the immediate area; time for a mini-'Clave?

And I'm with you on the 'trans-shipping,' do same several times per year. Guys in "Europe" get a heck of a deal on our side of the Pond. Sell only 'ships' to the lower 48. Package is sent to me, I re-post and forward.

Let them know what the postage (per today e-mail, far less than the seller would charge.) Just actual postage, and the folks in the White City Post Office just roll their eyes and a "Where to this time?"

On the other end they set up a 'store credit' where I buy "my stuff." Amazing what's available in the UK (where-ever) that you can't find on our side of the Pond.

Packages both ways and never a miss. The last one did cause me more than a bit of concern (two boxes of rod building materials). Usual delivery is 7 - 10 working days .. and these were 'over-due.'

Fellows got them on Saturday, at 12 days. Had to do a "Dah Fred," it's Christ's Mass and the postal service are loaded to the max.
mcnerney likes this.