The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 12:15 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: How valuable is a thermometer?

You make a good point there Double Dry, I used to keep a log book, well sort of. After a while I just figured the times of day the diurnal swing was climbing and started to fish more through the swing. From a guiding stand point it makes sense but I dig getting to my spot early and just hanging out watching for bugs or fish activity. Nowadays I fish Spring Creeks more often and already know the temps are basically somewhere in the 50's year round.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:25 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Dah Fred, don't just talk about it .. post up the USA FLO Link.

USGS WaterWatch -- Streamflow conditions

This should be the map that covers the entire USA. Click on the State you want and it will pull up all the gauge locations. Then it takes a bit of 'searching' to find your particular stream/gauge. But if you just put the tip of the cursor on a dot it should tell you what/where, just not the actual information.

Fred

Edit: Took a bit of looking to find this one again.

SOOOOOOOO you know what's going on now in 'real time,' but what about tomorrow? This link gives you NOAA's best guess what the flows will be for the next few days. Same drill as above to pin down a given gauge.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps/

Last edited by fredaevans; 12-26-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Add another link.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:37 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Water temps may not deter one from pursuing warm water species. However, as has been mentioned playing salmonoids in water reaching 68 degrees is lethal. So, one should not practice catch and release fishing under this condition. Water temperatures do correlate with air temperatures. In the heat of the summer early morning fish can be safe on some trout and steelhead streams. Oregon's Deschutes river is a good example. Water temperatures are controlled at the Dams and are legally required to replicate historic flow temperatures. Warm water temperatures are at there highest at the beginning of the summer steelhead run. There is a mix of wild and hatchery fish at this time. All wild fish must be released unharmed. So, conscientious anglers do not fish until flows temperatures are dropped or only fish during the early morning hours. One could carry a thermometer. However, temperatures are posted online and are accurate and predictable. My partner and I also fish annually in Idaho and Montana. Our road trip includes a few tailwater fisheries and spring creeks. Favorable water temps can always be found with good planning, which is easy with the phone apps that are now available. The advantages of cell hones are now out weighing their minor annoyances. As I am driving, all my partner has to say is, Honey we are near some mountains now, I'm going to lose you, Goodbye... Then he checks on current condtions.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:45 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to what Dillon just posted. The maintain water temp is the 'Law of the Land' on the Rogue River. Rogue water comes out (like the Deschutes) from behind a very large dam at RM 157. Dam guys watch the water temps on the Rogue's gauges and iit's getting too warm; out goes more water from the bottom of the Lake.

Year round the water temp is not allowed to get much over 52 degrees in the upper river.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:36 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I carry one of these and I ALWAYS use it...it is in the water while I rig up - stream side...and I generally use it more than once, during the course of a day

Click the image to open in full size.

...been doing this for years...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-26-2012, 03:26 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
I carry one of these and I ALWAYS use it...it is in the water while I rig up - stream side...and I generally use it more than once, during the course of a day

...been doing this for years...

PT/TB
PT, what decisions do you make based on the temp readings you take during the day?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
PT, what decisions do you make based on the temp readings you take during the day?
Mikel,

Exactly what I also want to know and why I started this thread.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 PM

double dry is on a distinguished road

I like to try to fish ahead of the hatch. Meaning, that with temperature data I can fairly predict when a certain hatch may come off. It helps when rigging to know when to switch to a Blue Wing emerger pattern because the water temps are creeping one way or another and the BW's will begin to pop. This is especially helpful as seasons transistion and "new" hatches are beginning to appear.

I also use temps to gauge feeding behaviors on specific rivers I frequent. For the most part, I can predict when feeding picks up or drops because of temperatures. If we're not hitting fish, I'll know it's not because of temps. It's just another tool.

Couple this with flows, weather conditions, and reading the river, and you're ahead of the game. I've just given a couple examples of why I check water temps regularly, there are other reasons as well. I'm sure others will chime in.
wt bash likes this.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:40 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

You beat me to it there Double Dry, but that's one of the reason I love/hate those spring creeks. Its more time of day and weather based over water temp.
double dry likes this.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post

I am more interested in bug activity, which determines, feeding activity of the Trout...as another poster has stated, temperature is an excellent precursor to stages of the hatch for most insects and the activity, along with light and air temps., for other biomass inhabitants . The thermometer also helps locate underwater seeps and springs, most helpful as the water heats up, in mid-summer, here in the West.

This is another nifty gadget that stays in the truck:

Brunton Weather Station

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 12-26-2012 at 07:18 PM.