The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all
Default Re: My first pair of waders?

Check out Cabelas and Gander Mountain; but, since you have gift cards, and they are your first pair, I'd get what I could. I don't know where you'll be wading; but, some bottoms can be very slippery on rocks. Shop for awhile and good luck.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I like my Dan Bailey's alot but I keep hearing good things about LL Bean's waders ad they don't seem like bank breakers.
I have been wearing Hodgeman waist high breathable stocking foot waders and they have been very satisfactory.However, have to agree with wt bash about LL Bean's waist high because of reported performance and their service guarantees. Quality is probably at least equal and price similar.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Frogg Togg Hellenbender pants.

They are now over 2 years old. Have put them through hell in the GSMNP.

No leaks...fit really well. All for $109.00

I have had them all. Paid more for some than i will admit. They have all leaked....except the frogg toggs.

Jim
Old 12-26-2012, 08:52 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i highly recommend ll bean waders.. outstanding quality and outstanding lifetime warranty

casey

ARFE
Old 12-27-2012, 02:58 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I think we've done this a time or two, but here's my two cents anyway.

The first question you need to ask yourself is what kind of wading are you going to be doing? Are you going to be slogging through heavy brush with lots of thorns, etc? If so, get a pair of waders that are multiple layer, reinforced, blah blah blah. Simms are good for this kind of wading, and will last several seasons, mitigating the initial cost. If you're not going to spend much time forcing yourself through heavy brush, then you can get a pair of light duty waders, such as LL Bean Emergers and they will do just fine.

this is the example i've given to many of my friends just starting out: my favorite creek involves pushing through willows, thorns, and crawling over a lot of volcanic rocks. My LL Beans were okay for about 3 trips, then they sprung a leak. My Simms have been down there about a dozen times and still are watertight. but my Beans are way more comfortable in the tube, or summer fishing on another creek where there is little brush.

One thing I will say is that you should get stockingfoot waders; avoid bootfoot if possible. Of course, this means you must include the cost of wading boots to your budget. Bootfoot waders just don't have high quality soles, which makes for treacherous footing. Good wading boots are a must if you value safety.

PeaCE.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i highly recommend ll bean waders.. outstanding quality and outstanding lifetime warranty

casey
Yeah if I didnt have my SIMMS I would be getting LL Bean or the Redington Sonics or whatever they are called, but I have not heard any bad things about LL Beans waders.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I like my Dan Bailey's alot but I keep hearing good things about LL Bean's waders ad they don't seem like bank breakers.
I have a pair of LLBean Emerger II Waders ($149 shipped): Men's Breathable Emerger II Waders Stocking Foot

Very light. Easy to move with. Bean warranty.

I wear waders only when the water is so cold that wet wading is impossible, so lightness and free movement mean a lot to me. Don't know about durability because I so seldom use them.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 AM

cocoaandme is on a distinguished road

I own a pair of Orvis Endura stockingfoot waders and they are very comfortable. They feel very durable but I will have to wait and see. I like how well the booties are formed to real feet and how you can roll down the chest part and wear them as waist waders. I bought them for those features as well as for their guarantee. I am not sure how they are on their service right now as I have heard mixed reviews but there is an orvis store not too far away so I figure I can hound them if they try to pull one on me.

I think a good guarantee is really important as quality control can always be a problem. How is LL Bean on their guarantee? Seems like people are pretty happy with them.