The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 01:07 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road
Default My first pair of waders?

I am looking at getting some waders, but don't know where to start. I got some Bass Pro Shop gift cards for Christmas and was looking on their website. I don't have access to trout waters very often, but would like a pair of waders so that I can wade when I do go. They could also be useful in some my local river for smallmouth fishing. I don't want to break the bank, but some of the low end Bass Pro waders got horrible reviews on their website. I don't want to break the bank, as I said I won't be using them every week (maybe just a few times a year), but I don't want garbage either. Thanks for the advice...
Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: My first pair of waders?

From what I've found, there are 2 schools of thought on waders. The first is to buy cheap or low-mid end waders knowing they will not last more than a couple seasons. When they need to be replaced you aren't out much money. The second is to buy a high end pair that have some sort of guarantee. The new seamless welds are trying to bridge the gap between these 2 camps by making a more affordable durable wader.

I wear a pair of waist highs I bought from BPS on clearance. They don't fit well, and I'm sure they won't last long. They'll do the trick until I save for a nicer pair.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:51 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I'll toss in two names: Redington (Sonics?) and Dan Bailey. Neither are expensive compared to (say) Simms/Patagonia but at hundreds of dollars less. real Players in the Game.

Fred
Kerry Pitt and wt bash like this.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:26 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

see if you can find some simms g4 pros - they have a new pair coming out next year so most stores are dumping inventory and i picked my pair up for 20% off retail (which put them at the same price as a pair of g3s)
Old 12-26-2012, 04:33 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

I purchased a pair of White River breathable waders with stocking feet from BPS earlier this year and, so far, am very happy with them. They fit comfortably and I haven't had any leakage.

Being relatively new to this sport, I don't have the experience to know the cause of typical wader leaks. I'm pretty careful with my gear. Don't do any technical climbs down steep river banks with prickly brush, so I hope they will last me for several years.

Definitely recommend breathable waders. A friend had non-breathable waders and his pants were very damp from presperation on the warmer days, while I was fine.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:33 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Got a pair of Orvis waist high with the Sonic Seam technology,,and I'm mega impressed. But I did spend about 50 bucks more than you said you wanted to. But if you can..
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I also just got the G4Z and they are awesome.

Realistically though putting a $700 wader on sale to $550 doesn't make it affordable for everyone. But do yourself a favor and buy the best ones you can afford. I've bought 2 cheap pair and used them 3 years....so going cheap didnt pay off. I spent $300 total and they are trashed. At the same time my buddy bought a $400 pair of Simms and they have a lot of life left. So me being cheap really wasn't cost effective.

Make sure you get the best you can that

1) breathable ( hike in non breathable ones in the summer and you will sweat like mad and stink up your waders)
2) thick enought to keep you warm if you winter fish ( 5 layer vs. 3 layer )
3) solid warranty / retailer behind them.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 12-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably to late now, but Albright had a really cheap sale going. They may still have boots if you need those. Seeing as it'sthe end of the year I'd do some closeout hunting. I got a pair of Simms a while back at a price I should have been wearing a mask when I got them. Try Madison River Fly shop in the closeout section. This is a good time to get a great deal.

They have Patagonia waders on sale, the one with the product code WP031 is $199. Page 7 of the closeouts.

Last edited by Guest1; 12-26-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:45 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I like my Dan Bailey's alot but I keep hearing good things about LL Bean's waders ad they don't seem like bank breakers.
imxer and caseywise like this.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:53 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

They dont have any listed now,,but the Clymb had some Redingtons at steal price a week or two ago,and they outta come back up within a couple weeks. They show their fishing sales off and on,,,but if you are patent,,you can score big on Redington rods and gear.

Just bookmark them and watch then..........or you might can call them, they 'might' have some waders that didnt go in the last sale. They ship fast,,fairly cheap shipping rates. I was sorely tempted to buy me a back up pair of stocking foots,,and really probably should have.

http://www.theclymb.com/?utm_medium=...eekly+Preview#