The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:20 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Bass - kinda sorta fly fishing

I love to catch small-mouth on the fly rod. But I have used a spin reel 'some' in years past and once even had a casting reel outfit (hated that thing and couldn't get rid of it soon enough). I dearly love the fight a small-mouth,,or large-mouth puts up,,so I don't understand this 'other' side of the coin. Here goes...

I was watching the WFN today and the pro bass boys in competition (I understand more cast equal more fish),,and the fishing shows were they weren't even in a tourney ,,,as soon as they hooked Mr. Bass,,,they'd cranked him across the surface like was hooked to a very hi speed wench.

AND,,the hook-set some of these guys use,,,I fully expect to see just the head reeled in !

And I do understand not fighting a fish to 'death' but still....ski'ing them in ?

Guess I'll always prefer catching them on the fly rod and finessing them during the battle.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bass - kinda sorta fly fishing

My biggest influence in fishing has been from bass fishermen. I don't agree with everything they do though. I have been told that the quicker you get the fish in, the less stress it is on the fish. Also in tournaments, they want to get that fish in and get on to the next one. As far as hook sets, it is about not loosing the fish and it takes a lot to get those huge hooks in.
il_wi_fishing likes this.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:58 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

no offense to any one but when i was younger i was into bass fishing big time and thats one of the reasons i got away from it. it became a game of run and gun whos boat was faster who could catch more pounds and ounces jerk theyre lips get em in the boat dont let them jump. wth. i started flyfishing and really enjoying myself the fish and the surroundings. now i still love to catch bass but in a small quiet pound on a popping bug on a four or five weight. ahh now thats what i call fishing. when i do use spinning gear i like to use the lightest gear possible and actually enjoy catching the fish not numb them with a bone jarring hookset and then yank them in the boat before they can react. to me if im gonna fish like that id rather do something else.
fly_guy12955 and dakotakid like this.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
My biggest influence in fishing has been from bass fishermen. I don't agree with everything they do though. I have been told that the quicker you get the fish in, the less stress it is on the fish. Also in tournaments, they want to get that fish in and get on to the next one. As far as hook sets, it is about not loosing the fish and it takes a lot to get those huge hooks in.
Although my first love is fly fishing, I also fish with other tackle, including bait casting. I also enjoy bass fishing & am not a tournament angler. But I have to agree with Codypom. I don't agree with everything those guys do, and there are good reasons for getting those fish to hand as quickly as possible. Some of the bass fishing I do with a fly rod has been greatly influenced by using baitcasting tackle as I'll often go heavy to a 9 or 10 wt. Not that the size fish I catch require it, but the places I fish are full of snags & for getting them out quickly, the heavier tackle helps. In much more open water, I'll often bass fish with a 6 wt. Time & place for all of it.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I see a lot of people run and gun. I stopped doing it a long time ago and work the snot out of an area before moving. I like to cast 'the clock' and sometimes do it in both directions before moving. I also have overlapping faces, and work structure like it's a job. I think I get more fish. I also don't skim/skip fish. If you have one that isn't hooked right, like say just a bit of skin, that fish is not going to stay on. It might not if you actually fight it either, but I loose less fish I'm sure the running them across the surface like a wake board.

I think they seriously overdo the hooksets also. They are not using that large a hook and it does not take as much as they seem to think to set a hook. If you are in a Bass tournament you may want to do it just out of being sure because there may be a bunch of money riding on it, but I'm sure everyone here has had fish set the hooks on themselves with very little effort. Not to mention we don't really need to whack them real hard because we use finer wire than they so and a single barb. even when I use a casting rod and a big stinking spinnerbait with a fat old hook I don't feel the need to give it the gigantic hookset. I think some of this may be a bit of hamming it up for the cameras.
45fisher and thewalker1013 like this.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

I had an oddly related experience which contrasts with yours, FlyGuy. Took my flyrods to Montana's West Boulder River in October 2012. I was a novice, hardly knowing how to Match---the---Hatch and so many necessary things which a Trout fisherman should know.

My son carried a lightweight spinning outfit and a few Panther Martin Spinners. The result? I never landed a single Brown, Rainbow, or Cutthroat, in Five days. As for my son, he hooked Browns and landed about 20 in a single day. On other days, he would land 1 to 3 Browns, and I caught nothing; but of course, remember I was a novice.

By Saturday, we got a Drift boat to take on the Bighorn River for a full day, 12 Mile trip.

The result? My son hooked about 30 fish, landed 20, including about a 4 or 5 # Brown, and a Rainbow the same.

My catch for the entire day of using streamers, Nymphs, etc? 1 fish.

--------------------------------------------

So what's the difference and what's the lesson? It's just this:

My son knows nothing of Streamside Insects, nor much about flyfishing, as an art or science.

and Me? My knowledge has grown in Leaps and Bounds in a few months, , and as I tie specific flies for specific rivers, for specific months, I am confident of having a lot more fun. I could buy the cheap spinning rod and some Panther Martins, and catch fish, but know nothing. What's the point?

Besides, I love Bass also, but my favorite in Colorado is fishing for Wipers which can easily be 10 pounds, and 20 pounds are seen occasionally. That is why I bought a Spey Rod.

Also, some reservoirs here don't allow big fast boats. One either uses an electric motor or one doesn't get the boat on the Reservoir.

------------------------------------

Spinning Tackle has much to be said for it. It is Light, Versatile, can reach great distance & depth and precise casting.

What can be said for Fly Rods & tackle, particularly in terms of seeking Trout? Precise Casting, reaching Surface or stream or lake bottom somewhat, but different Line & Lure.

Is there anything more than something vague like "mystique" or "art"?

I am not qualified to answer. All I can say is that I feel more "connected" with the Fly Rod and the Fly. Perhaps it is the fact that "Fly" fishing has a longer tradition, and that Spinning and Spincasting is a technical Newcomer?

But I don't feel confused about the enjoyment. I know I have to be more "studied" and more "learned" to successfully Fly Fish.

But greater minds than mine must answer this.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 AM

wtl is on a distinguished road

Personally, I love using a baitcaster and I'm good with one...but I have gotten to where my favorite baitcaster is much, much smaller than average, with a rod that would be rated between light and ultralight - and I use it to throw very small cranks and spinnerbaits. I feel with that setup, I am almost as sporting as with a flyrod.

I've never quite cared for the tourneys. Some people suggested in this thread that people were doing things for looks...well, when you see guys who aint sponsored start having their wives sew patches on their shirts like they are Kevin VanDam, you know some of that is going on. We/yall have that going on with flyfishing too, I guess.

I think part of the problem is the messages we send to new anglers. If you start a guy on bass fishing, he automatically thinks that the highest evolution of the sport is Iconelli, and he acts accordingly. If you start a guy flyfishing, he often sees the local Orvis salesman as his idol, and acts accordingly. And it takes people a lot longer to just pursue what they would like individually about each incarnation of the sport.
smallie stalker likes this.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:11 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

All those guys are tournament fisherman or atleast were at some point in time. The hook set is to insure they hook it ,albeit ridiculous, and the extremely fast retrieve is to get it to the boat, size it and get to the next one as fast as possible. When you spend alot of time fishing that way its a hard routine to get out of.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I have been fishing since well long before bass tournaments. I thought it was not a good idea then and I still don't care for them. That being said I also used to fish baitcasting but it was a real light outfit and will cast down to 1/16oz baits. I also have an UL spinning outfit that I have spent many hours with but both have not been wet for several years. I doubt that anyone here believes that flyfishing is always the most productive because it is not. I just prefer to use it. I used the other tackle because I fished with friends that did not fling the fly which was thier loss. I never had any urge to spend $40,000 on a boat that will run 70mph so I could beat the other fella to a creek at the other end of a huge impoundment. If you need to go fast get a hydroplane and race it if you have the nads. For me fishing is being out in nature listening to the woods sounds and fooling a fish into taking a fake and then feeling it shake its head. It is apparent that fishing is something different to each individual. I have a good friend that liked the tournament deal. He asked me many times to go with him but it just was not my idea of a great day on the water and never fished a tournament with him. I hated to see the red fish tournament trail start but I guess it was inevitable.
dpreller likes this.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

I'm with Dan. Since learning to fly fish (A story in its self.) I have never gone back. I still have my spining, surcasting, baitcasting stuff...but I prefer working

"...the snot out of an area before moving. I like to cast 'the clock' and sometimes do it in both directions before moving. I also have overlapping faces, and work structure like it's a job. I think I get more fish. I also don't skim/skip fish...."

To each his own. But in a day I may not cover as much ground as some...but it is Well covered.'

Larry