The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice
Default Wader size??

I have settled on breathable stocking foot waders. I live in BFE so trying on the waders and boots is not a good option. I would like to do mail order but I am concerned about sizing and I do not want to have to return the waders or boots by mail. I intend to wear some heavy wool socks. I think that 9's will work for the waders but I am not sure how the boots are sized. Should I go one size bigger or are the boots larger to allow for the waders and socks?

In cold water what is recommended to wear under the waders?

Thanks for the help fellas.
billyspey likes this.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wader size??

Sizing is really all dependent on manufacturer and actual model of wader. No matter what, you are running a risk without trying before buying. In all honesty, it might be worth a trip.

If you are really unwilling to do so, then when in doubt, go bigger.

For the part, in terms of boot sizing, I have found that 1 to 1.5 sizes above your shoe size is the way to go.

For winter wading you are going to want wool socks multiple light layers. I am kind of a cold water junkie and typically only wear a pair of jeans under mine in the winter.
mcnerney, fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Personal preference here only on 'boot size,' but if you're wading 'cold water' go up two sizes from your street shoes. Sounds extra large (and they will be a bit) but plenty of toe wiggle room, heavy socks, neo-botties, etc., and you will need that.
mcnerney, jcw355, jaybo41 and 1 others like this.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:35 PM

horseman_37601 will become famous soon enough

i agree, i buy 2 sizes bigger than my street shoe. gives my toes wiggle room, especally important in the winter-----

"the ox is slow, but the earth is patience"
Old 12-27-2012, 04:57 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

What these guys have said is spot on. You'll want more room for cold water/winter wading. The best way to ensure the right fit is to try them on, so you'll potentially have to deal with shipping items back if they're not right. It's truly best to get the right size both for comfort and prolonged durability. Not only should you keep this in mind for your wading boots, but also your waders.

As for what to wear under them...base layer should be ANYTHING but Cotton. This includes socks. For cold water fishing, I use very thin base layer wool socks that are sold as skiing socks, then smart wool socks over those. Depending on how cold it is, I'll wear Capiline 3, or R1 Fleece pants. Sometimes in conjunction with Capiline 2's. I swear by Patagonia's base layers, but there are other great options out there as well.

Top half same thing, base layer, fleece, sometimes wool sweater, then soft-shell or rain shell if needed. Like I said, anything but cotton. The reason why is cotton will retain moisture thus keeping you damp and cold. The synthetic layers will wick moisture and keep you warmer and dry.

You might also want to mention which brand you are considering as some of the sizes seem to differ from one brand to the next. This way some of the folks who have the brands you are considering might be able to chime in with better information on the products you're considering.

Happy shopping!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:09 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Fred and the others on this one. I have a pair of boots that are 2 sizes larger than my normal shoes and I wish they where a bit larger for winter fishing. Standing in 40° water all day can be difficult.
I think most manufactures have size charts for their products. Check the retailers websites for return policy, each may be different.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Wader size??

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
I agree with Fred and the others on this one. I have a pair of boots that are 2 sizes larger than my normal shoes and I wish they where a bit larger for winter fishing. Standing in 40° water all day can be difficult.
I think most manufactures have size charts for their products. Check the retailers websites for return policy, each may be different.
Darwin has grabbed the 'Brass Ring on the Merry Go Round (as did others). With 'boots' I've always wondered whose the Village Idiot who dreamed up the sizing(s).
Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I might be inclined to phone/email the customer service dept. of whatever manufacturer you decide on, give them your specifics, and see what they recommend. Or if its a place like Orvis, call the flagship store, ask for the Fly Fishing dept. (the folks in the dog bed dept. won't be much help), and get their recommendations. Just a thought.
Gary
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road

The sizing game mystifies me too. I was reading some reviews of waders on BassPro.com and saw one review that said "Order one size bigger than you think..." and another that said "Order one size smaller..." It just goes to show you never know what you're gonna get. I say try it on, even if it is a drive.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Darwin is correct, if you go to a Manufacturers website they will have a sizing chart, then you know what measurements you need to get the right size. We use these when ordering for our Soldiers quite often.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.